BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Chaplain

That's what I'd heard, but wasn't certain. Anyway, I don't mind that sort of useage, I think that's a good use of a literary cue (if you can consider something that old and unlikely to be well known a cue).
    The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasard View Post
    Interestingly, was it not Tolkien who used the Saxon word for Foreigner 'ORC' and Forst dweller 'ELF" in his books? Was the phrase "Middle Earth' used by the Saxons to describe England?

I don't know if this sheds any more light on the discussion, but it is fascinating to think that such a rich heritage of language is still used in a tabletop game!
    Orc has roots in the Latin word orcus (another name for Pluto/Hades, the realm and god of the dead), either coming to us via the Anglo-Saxon word orc ('demon' or 'evil spirit') or via the Italian orco ('giant, ogre').

Elf is of Germanic-via-Anglo-Saxon origin, and they were originally meddling creatures with powerful magic. Smaller than people, they're tricksters (and more normally evil than good- often faeries and elves are the names of the good and evil versions, respectively).
    Last edited by miteyheroes; 06-29-2011 at 02:41 AM.
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Chaplain

Now we know and knowing is half the battle.

The 4th Doctor has long scarf to protect him from hate.

As I recall it, Tolkien got Orcus from Milton, and Alf from Norse mythology, who seemed divided between the Light ones that seem similar to how he liked to portray them, and the Dark ones, who were smiths and rather short.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345