BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Tongue in Cheek 6E Article

Slow day here on BoLS. One of my local compatriots wrote a tongue in cheek look at what he thinks should change in 6E. Have a chuckle:

[URL="http://queencityguard.com/index.php/2011/07/07/the-change-we-need-for-6e/"]Tongue In Cheek 6E[/URL]

Hahah quite enjoyed it! My fav is the complaints about jump packs...SO OP

Thanks for sharing, that was a good read. Yeah it's pretty slow lately on BoLS. Was almost tempted to go to Warseer because there was nothing new here to read, but didn't. Just went to the Bethesda forums to see what is new for Skyrim.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Chapter-Master

From the link. Enjoy.

"With the recent rumors of sixth edition coming as early as next summer, I’ve started thinking more about changes the game really needs. Everybody knows that 40k suffers from some major balance issues. Let’s look at some of the ways I hope 6th edition fixes the current problems.

First and foremost, vehicles. They suck. No one is using them. This is probably because they are nothing more than moving death traps at present. Destroyed results on 1/3 of the damage chart? Ridiculous. Have you ever actually been in a battle tank? Those things are totally rock hard. I would break my fist if I punched one. Realistically, the damage chart should only have destroyed results on a 6. If the vehicle is a tank then the 6 should have to be rerolled. That way alpha strike armies like Tau won’t be mopping up Imperial Guard tank builds, as has been the major trend lately on the tournament scene.

That’s the next big thing that needs to be fixed in 6th edition. The Tau are just too overpowered right now. The ability to jump, shoot, and then ALSO jump again is just ridiculous. Tau crisis suits can effectively jump into shooting range of a target, shoot, and then jump out again and as long as the target unit doesn’t have assault weapons, can’t move, doesn’t have longer range guns, isn’t jump infantry, isn’t a beast, and doesn’t have fleet, then they have no recourse. The rules for jet packs need to change – big time, before other armies stand a chance against this kind of crap. They even have a gun that can kill tanks in one shot! S10 AP1 with 72″ range? Did they get the janitor to write this codex? Clearly this Andy Hoare guy is a total Tau fanboy.

Ordance weapons need a lot of work too. The current edition has all of them using a scatter dice and ordance barrages even scatter when the dice comes up a hit. The game needs a return to guess range. For all you kids out there, guess range was a system from back in 3rd edition where you would pick a target and then call out a distance in inches and place the template right on that spot. It worked quite well and was very balanced.

Another big problem with ordnance, and shooting in general, is cover is just way too hard to get in 5th edition. It is ridiculous. If I have a unit of ten guys and nine of them are hiding behind a building just because one of them is exposed, my opponent can still shoot at the unit and I only get a 4+ cover save. Ridiculous! I should be getting at least a 3+ for having all those guys covered. Nevermind that most of the time it is too hard to find anything big enough to hide ten whole guys behind. The way that they’ve made it impossible for vehicles to get anything better than a 4+ is really a shame too. Cover should be a 3+ or better if a significant number of models are covered up by terrain. A 2+ is definitely warranted in some situations.

The vehicle movement rules need some work too. Modern tanks can drive full speed and still shoot all of their guns. There is no way tanks in the 41st millenium wouldn’t be able to do the same.

My girlfriend says that Sisters of Battle should have preferred enemy, furious charge and feel no pain against all male models. I think that is a fair way to fix the problem of Sisters not being competitive. If it is only male models then that is only half of the things in the game, right? That makes sense and I don’t think it is overpowered or anything. Plus it is important to include things in the rules that are fun for players, even if they don’t make sense to everyone.

I hope we see at least some of these changes in 6th edition. I really think that these changes will help make the game more balanced as a whole."
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Brother-Captain

The funny part is, I actually really like guess ranges, or at least I did in Fantasy 7th.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    Yeah it's pretty slow lately on BoLS. Was almost tempted to go to Warseer because there was nothing new here to read, but didn't. Just went to the Bethesda forums to see what is new for Skyrim.
    Like the dead sea around here. Crickets chirping. What gives? Maybe the nice summer weather or something...

Battle-Brother

Quite the enjoyable read. It really would be great if they brought back guess ranges, rather then just have the place the plate rule.

I think the rule for sister would be... interesting, to say the least. I think it would be rather funny to see some kids trying to make female marines to avoided those rule.

Librarian

This thread would have been 1000X's better if you'd left the "Tongue and cheek" part out of the title.

Chapter-Master

I didn't want another flame war started because some folks can't understand the subtleties of sarcasm and farce.

Scout

I'm, sorry. I don't play in tournaments as of late. Yet, I do have a Tau army and I really don't think they are overpowered at all. I thought everybody was whining about Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Grey Knights, and Dark Eldar.

Also aren't all the main "internet lists" right now vehicle lists. Every single unit seems to have a transport. Although, I may be mixing words. Perhaps he means only battle tanks are underpowered, but I am pretty sure the survivability of transports are just fine. I found most of this to be quite ridiculous.

I understand that he wants the game to be more realistic, but these changes will not make the game practical or balanced.

2+ cover saves? Really?

Unless of course the article was a joke or something....
    Last edited by Wathapend2urfase; 07-10-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast