BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Chapter-Master

I quite like the current book, I don't see any major problems with it, other than a couple of units beign rendered useless (my biovores went ebay the second I read the book). My major gripes are the fact that we still don't have most of the new units in model form and the fact that half my army is now 'counts as' because of the lack of customization in the new codex. But they are still pretty competitive, provided you pick the right stuff.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I quite like the current book, I don't see any major problems with it, other than a couple of units beign rendered useless (my biovores went ebay the second I read the book). My major gripes are the fact that we still don't have most of the new units in model form and the fact that half my army is now 'counts as' because of the lack of customization in the new codex. But they are still pretty competitive, provided you pick the right stuff.
    Eh? Biovores are one of the only units that actually became pretty good. 135pts for 3 S4 AP4 large blasts a turn, which make spore mines if they fly way off target? Sounds good to me, I bought another 2 to accompany my lonely one which never saw use in my 4th ed army.

As for major problems... I can name problems with literally every single unit apart from Zoanthropes.

Librarian

I agree. Biovores strike me as one of the better deals point-wise in the codex.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Eh? Biovores are one of the only units that actually became pretty good. 135pts for 3 S4 AP4 large blasts a turn, which make spore mines if they fly way off target? Sounds good to me, I bought another 2 to accompany my lonely one which never saw use in my 4th ed army.

As for major problems... I can name problems with literally every single unit apart from Zoanthropes.
    Then I don't think you were using them properly in the last codex. They were the most hatedpart of army in our gaming groups. Toxin mines were great at killing big creatures whilst the bio-acid was a guaranteed power armour killer that could also mess up vehicles. Given that the current version is only 1 AP point better than the old frag spores, and they are only 30pts cheaper, I really don't see how you could think they were improved.

And I challenge you to name me a problem with genestealers or warriors or termagants.

Veteran-Sergeant

Biovorest, on paper look effective for their points cost...

However, they fill a role the Nid army can already handle by itself: anti-infantry. This makes them largely redundant, and usually not worth the Heavy Support slot. Many nids armies struggle against armour, and/or having their high-value units shot. Biovores sitting in the back, maybe killing a few space marines usually doesn't help address these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    And I challenge you to name me a problem with genestealers or warriors or termagants.
    Genestealers: No access to frag grenades.

Warriors: Overcosted for their survivability.

Termagants: Don't see any real problem with these guys really. Fearless sucks, but that's for everyone.

First-Captain

The new nid codex have a lot of cons, here is my con list.

1. The army lost frag grenades
    2. Instead of a strength upgrade that last the whole game, we get furious charge without grenades
    3. Carnifex double the cost
    4. Tyrant cost more.
    5. No dakka fex re rolling to hit and wound
    6. Lost weapons that can re roll to wound
    7. Lost a large strength 8 pie plate
    8. Tyrant lost attacks and winged tyrant lost 2+ save
    9. Tyrant lose warp blast
    10. Lost str 6 small blast on my warriors using deathspitters
    11. Nids lost immunity to instant death
    12. Nids fail leadership checks they run off the board instead of towards the nearest synapse creature
    13. Zonathorpes with a +2 save and a 4+ cover save with eternal warrior was harder to kill then a model with just a 3+ invulnerable
    14. Broodlord lost synapse, upgrade options, and power weapon attacks
    15. Genestealers lost grenades
    16. Termagaunts shooting was very helpful against higher toughness models thanks to re rolling to wound
    17 Lictor lost the abilty to assault when it comes in from the board
    18. Lost strength 10 barbed stranglers, which didn't kill a vehicle, but stopped it from doing anything
    19. Lost +1 to bs upgrade
    20. Tyrant lost the ability to get a +6 invulnerable
    21. Nidzilla is less effective and more focus towards smaller units
    22. Carnifex lost options for higher toughness, save, and extra wounds
    23. Some units like Termagaunts lost fleet.
    24. Lost customisation on many units
    25. Biovores lost the 3 mine option and can't really take out tanks any more or marines.
    26. Int upgrade
    27. Catalyst the ability to still while dead
    28. Strength 10 carnifex
    29. Winged tyrant with 6 attacks on the charge
    30. Warriors can be differnant and don't die easily to a batle canon shot.
    31. Genestealers with a 4+ save
    32. 12 shot gun tyrant at re roll bs 4 and wound got nerfed.
    33. The old codex had all the models, so I don't have to make my own

I will leave the list at 33 for now. If I read the book and think of more I can probably get up to 30+. I'm not going to list the pros, because the cons really out weigh the pros.
    Last edited by chicop76; 07-22-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    The new nid codex have a lot of cons, here is my con list.

1. The army lost frag grenades
    2. Instead of a strength upgrade that last the whole game, we get furious charge without grenades
    3. Carnifex double the cost
    4. Tyrant cost more.
    5. No dakka fex re rolling to hit and wound
    6. Lost weapons that can re roll to wound
    7. Lost a large strength 8 pie plate
    8. Tyrant lost attacks and winged tyrant lost 2+ save
    9. Tyrant lose warp blast
    10. Lost str 6 small blast on my warriors using deathspitters
    11. Nids lost immunity to instant death
    12. Nids fail leadership checks they run off the board instead of towards the nearest synapse creature
    13. Zonathorpes with a +2 save and a 4+ cover save with eternal warrior was harder to kill then a model with just a 3+ invulnerable
    14. Broodlord lost synapse, upgrade options, and power weapon attacks
    15. Genestealers lost grenades
    16. Termagaunts shooting was very helpful against higher toughness models thanks to re rolling to wound
    17 Lictor lost the abilty to assault when it comes in from the board
    18. Lost strength 10 barbed stranglers, which didn't kill a vehicle, but stopped it from doing anything
    19. Lost +1 to bs upgrade
    20. Tyrant lost the ability to get a +6 invulnerable
    21. Nidzilla is less effective and more focus towards smaller units
    22. Carnifex lost options for higher toughness, save, and extra wounds
    23. Some units like Termagaunts lost fleet.
    24. Lost customisation on many units
    25. Biovores lost the 3 mine option and can't really take out tanks any more or marines.

I will leave the list at 25 for now. If I read the book and think of more I can probably get up to 30+. I'm not going to list the pros, because the cons really out weigh the pros.
    But... that just makes playing nids more fun! If you win, you get a good laugh!
    I started the game playing Necrons (just when 5th came out), so the new Tyranids are an improvement for me. Specially considering I generally fight against marines and IG...

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lemt View Post
    But... that just makes playing nids more fun! If you win, you get a good laugh!
    I started the game playing Necrons (just when 5th came out), so the new Tyranids are an improvement for me. Specially considering I generally fight against marines and IG...
    The only army I've found the new nids to be good against is orcs. In the last edition I had a hard time with orcs and now I destroy them. Against other armies I still win, but have a harder time doing so. My old nid army did really well against guard and now have a hard time against them now.

My old Nid list was like this:
    5 warp blast
    4 str 10 glancing
    2 str 8 large blast
    16 str 6 re roll to hit and wound shots
    6 str 6 small blast
    1 str 5 large blast
    3 str 9 shots glancing

With 9 str 10 shots who was afraid of a landraider

Now I have
    3 warp blast
    4 str 10
    6-12 str 8 shots

As you can see my old nids dish out more shooting then my newer nids at a cheaper cost.

Sure the nid dex can put out cheap/ free gaunts with feel no pain, furious, charge, poison, counter attack at leadership 10, preffered enemy, difficult, and dangerous terain checks to assault them. All that doesn't help against a vehicle or against units with high int. I'm forced to do less shooting and use my gaunts, instead of running high stealers with a large amount of cover fire wih some gaunts for shooting support.

Overall the new Nids is the most nerfed 5th edition book to date.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulio View Post
    With no invuln save a Carnifex is the same as 4 space marines vs. krak missiles. It wouldn't be so bad if it was easier to get a 2+ save OR things were priced properly. I agree that certain things were too cheap in the last codex...but not by that much. Our current Hive Tyrant set up exactly how he is now should be 130-140pts max. They really aren't very good at all (4 attacks in CC...big deal). Carnifexs should be about 120pts base and Harpies (which are the most overcosted unit in the book hands down) should be about 100pts base or completely different stats.

The other big thing deals with Tyranid warriors. I wish they were either T4, 2W (like they have always been) and were 20pts each - OR - same cost but were T5, 2W. As it goes now unless you throw lashwhips/boneswords on them they really aren't good for anything. The other T4 creature (Raveners) would be amazing if they were just 30pts each WITH rending claws. If you could take biomorphs for them even better.

I think most people will agree that there are some good ideas in this book. Things like all the deployment options and the ideas behind a lot of the creatures. Where it falls apart is that it just feels massively rushed and NO ONE ever edited it. I would give ANYTHING for a "Tyranids 5th ed version 2.0" like they did with the old Dark Elf Army book (the 6th ed one?). I would happily pay $35 for it without any complaints. It would be a dead easy release too. Just it and the Tervigon kit would have the Tyranid population over the moon.
    Yeah, warriors die so frelling easy to instant death it is just sad, and at low points games it is just sad how easilly our best synapse creature is to take down. "LOL LETS SHOOT THE WARRIORS" and at low points games its pretty much game over from there.

And it bugs me to hell that such a great upgrade like boneswords and lashwips for warriors isn't in the bloody box, i mean seriously.

I love my nids, and I love some of the neat stuff in that book, but there are just some points issues that need to be addressed.

I agree though if they came out with a fixed codex I would throw out the $35 dollars for it in an instance to play som eproper nids.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234