BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Help needed with sprey paint color

Im looking for spray paint that is similar to Boltgun mental, Any idea's?
    I know Army Painter has one but they are always out of stock.

Options?

Brother-Captain

Hmm, can't help you with brand or name, but why don't you order the cans you want through Ebay? I'm sure you can find it on there, and probably cheaper than buying locally as well.

Tamiya Color Light Gun Metal TS-42.
    Its £5.99 each.

Very reasonable price. Just do a wash oevr it and you are away.

Chapter-Master

Plasti-kote Projekt Paint do a good mettallic range, although their silvers are either more like highlighted boltgun, or washed with badab black boltgun... Also, I'm not sure if they are availible in the US
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Captain

I recommend anything in the Krylon range, if you can find it.

For my Bronze Angels (Blood Angels) army, I wound up using a Rustoleum paint, I think, which more or less matches GW's Dwarf Bronze.

When I'm looking for spray paints for army basecoats, I take a pot of the GW colour I want my base colour to be closest to and head out to a Canadian Tire (or whatever your local equivalent might be) and browse the spray paint aisle looking for something that matches.

Works pretty well. In the case of that bronze, it worked perfectly. Since I tend to do two layers of drybrush/hard highlights over my base coat, followed by a wash, it winds up more or less matching the base GW colour perfectly (i.e. for that bronze, I spray paint bronze as the base coat, then drybrush shining gold, then drybrush burnished gold, then do edge highlights with burnished gold and a heavy ogryn flesh wash. the end result is a really nice bronze metallic with a lot of depth to it and I can easily cover up mistakes made in later steps with some touch-up Dwarf Bronze, which matches almost perfectly).