BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brother-Captain

I figure that reserve rolls are not optional. It's up to both players to ensure that the game is played according to the rules, and that means that reserves are rolled every turn. If you notice that your opponent has forgotten his reserve rolls, it's your responsibility to say something. If reserves aren't rolled for, it's both players' fault. If it's too late to go back and fix things (ie, the movement phase is already done), then I just pretend like all the reserve rolls that turn failed, and reserves are rolled for normally next turn, but that's suboptimal and outside the rules. If someone is consistently "forgetting" to roll reserves, it's the TO's job to kick him in the *** or kick him out of the tournament.

Locally, we had a similar problem come up with units that were locked in assault over multiple turns. I saw this happen once:

A: "Well that's it for the assault phase. It's your turn."
    B: "HAH! You forgot those units locked in assault over there!"
    A: "Oh whoops, let's do that assault."
    B: "Nope, too late. You said it was my turn."

You don't get to skip the assault phase because your opponent forgot. Similarly, if your opponent is breaking the rules of the game to your advantage, it's your responsibility to inform him. Example: you are playing against a Space Marine player who is rolling his shooting attacks as if his marines were BS3. A space marine squad cannot voluntarily choose to lower their BS. They MUST fire at BS4 or not at all. By shooting at BS3, he is breaking the rules, even if it's to your advantage.

We're playing 40k, not Gotcha! The assault phase isn't optional. Reserve rolls aren't optional. You don't get to ignore the rulebook just because you or your opponent forgot something and it gives you an advantage.
    Last edited by Lerra; 08-05-2011 at 02:27 PM.

LOL we often mock the player who forgets to cast his spells at the beginning of the turn. of course, we all do it at least once a game. i have to yell at partners when our turn starts. "NO MOVING, I GOT SPELLS!!!"

Battle-Brother

I would say that a single "forgetting" is acceptable, any more per game I would consider beeing on purpose. But if it doesn't happen every game I think it's okay if he then rolls for them as if it would be the second turn. (i.e. 4+)
    If he forgets every game he must be punished and I would rather go for the automatic mishap.

But because we often forget those things our gaming group made up a house rule that states that a player can at the end of any of his turns (even the 5th) choose to call for reserves at the beginning of his next turn. From then on they come into play as stated in the rules (1st roll 4+, 2nd 3+ and so on).

That has played out quite well.
    Reserves are now more tactical flexible than before because you can choose when to use the "ace up your sleeve" to affect the battle at the best moment. To early and the impact is lower than expected but too late and they might not come at all wasting you precious points.
    Last edited by yrdetraxe; 08-05-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Drew da Destroya View Post
    This is pretty much what we do in my group. Works out pretty well, since we all suck at remembering things that aren't on the board.

To help myself, I line my Reserve units up on the table in front of me (we've got some lip between the play area and the yawning abyss). Obviously, this method is pretty table-specific.
    I line mine up as well. After totally forgetting a unit of Termis with the HQ and another unit of Assualt troops in one game it made me re-think making sure I pay attention. I actually remembered right on my last turn but figured it would not be right to bring the units in. Oh well it was my fault...victory points lost.

There really isnt any real rule for what to do in this situation. It just becomes a play by play and person by person call.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Chapter-Master

I have forgotten my reserve rolls on a number of occasions, usually to my cost. However, I normally cry out with frustration half way through my turn when I realise, so my opponent can always tell it was a genuine mistake. If he forgets for every single turn, without mentioning it, then happens to remember when he suddenly needs them/they arrive automatically, I'd know he had done it deliberately. I would then say that since he has failed to make all his previous rolls, he can roll for them this turn starting on 4+ as he should have done on turn 2. If he doesn't think this is fair, I would not play with him again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12