BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Chaplain

Okay since I didnt' explicitly state the police in my 'idea post,' then that proposition still stands. The army can kill the rioters/looters/lowlife hooligans. Nobody comes out looking bad.
    You think running with scissors is dangerous? Try sky diving with them!

Banned

The Irish might disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Yes, but we have the army for crushing revolts, not the police. The police need to be able to maintain law and order peacefully after the revolt is crushed and you can't do that if you just krumped da chavs.

One thing that annoys me is when you get people say 'we can't use the military to suppress this, they haven't been used for that in hundreds of years!'. Well, no, the military was used to suppress various riots in the Days of May in1831, notably the Queens Square riot in Bristol and earlier in the Peterloo massacre of 1819. So its been a while, but not hundreds of years.
    These "Medium C" tanks were deployed to Glasgow in 1919 for Riot Control, tanks were also deployed in London to quell unreast in the 1920's.

To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Argh, why did I forget the tanks in London during the 1926 General Strike! I wasn't aware of the Glasgow incident though, thanks Aldy.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I have been away on exercise so haven't been able to comment fascistically on this. Our DS solution was to find out whichever para battalion is furthest away from an Afghan tour, 1 days refresher in public order from some of those splendid Royal Irish chaps and then get a proper shield wall going. Full size shields, not those poxy little round ones, and a proper shield wall stretches unbroken across the street.

It also has baton gunners behind ready to use their 'grazing' skills to bounce the baton rounds just right so they hit at head height.

Poxy little street rats.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    The police's job is to maintain order and protect the public.

The army's job is to Kill people

what i am getting at is

Police do the Policing = Win

Army do the Policing = Fail

Simples!
    Maybe more accurate to say that the police are the little whipping stick they used to use on unruly kids, while the army is the nail-studded baseball bat you keep under your pillow.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

The problem is armies make for a piss poor police force. People forget that their roles are diametrically opposed. A police force is meant to assess a situation, separate witness from victim from criminal, and act accordingly. They're supposed to think before they act. For an army that is NOT what you want. You want them to shoot first and ask ques ...... well, just shoot, shoot and keep shooting, stopping only to reload, and never question why. What you get when you put your army through "sensitivity training" and/or "cultural awareness training" is you get dead soldiers or those with mental disorders. A soldier is a killing instrument, not an administrative one.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Maybe more accurate to say that the police are the little whipping stick they used to use on unruly kids, while the army is the nail-studded baseball bat you keep under your pillow.
    Man, you must have a hard time sleeping, or some serious pillows.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456