BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Librarian

Default Double Dealing Eagles

This is a fun thread. I like where you and the grailkeeper are going with this. I think WAY more people should take much advantage of making up their own armies with their own story-lines. My chapter (the Galactic Watch) is vaguely based on Cromwell's New Model Army, for instance.

Frankly, I would not even worry about the Aquilas, Aquilia, Aquilettes... (what's the plural on that word?). Think how many nations in Europe alone used it? Byzantine Rome, the Seljuk Turks, the Holy Roman Empire, Austria, Spain, Albania, Tsarist Russia, Modern Russia, etc. These states were often at each other's throats under banners flying essentially the same symbol. The Galaxy is a lot bigger than Europe after all. There is plenty of room in the year 40,000 for multiple parties using the same symbol in my book. After all, who is to say that your chapter can't decide they are the "true" representatives of the spirit of the Aquila?

Chapter-Master

I once did a trial run of models for a GW design your own chapte competition. Based on an Egyptian style army, worshipping ancient gods but with their chief sun god as the emperor. Wrote a whole 2 pages of Index Astartes style background loosely based on the Pharaoh Akenaten beign their Primarch, exiled for refusing to give up their worship of heathen gods. Then I lost it all when my computer crashed. I converted them with some old Bretonnian knight heads as some of those had some great Egyptian style iconography (there was one with a Bulls' Head with a sun between the horns that looked awesome).

Also, the cumps in the store disqualified my entry because I wrote more than specified 1 paragraph of background. They could have told me that 'make your own chapter' in fact meant 'paint your marine in pretty colours'.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Librarian

This is great I've been thinking that there was a few who did the whole Merc-Marines style! My marine army is based around six companys one from each chapter of the first founding and AM with the squat guilds that was lost before the HH. Now my army is about 30,000pts strong

cheers guys, glad youre enjoying the discussion! I think it does make for interesting thought, and encourages more of a read up into chapter history. I knew nothing of the emperor or founding history before all this an now feel well versed in both HH and the baddab!

An Egyptian style would be cool, most definitely, do you have pictures?
    So many chapters just have missing history to take advantage of you can easily fit into.

And an elite chapter, made of the 6 founders? That sounds pretty bad ***! You got space wolves in there too im assuming? Funnily enough, they come pretty close to rejecting the imperium aha.

As for the aquila - youre very right. You can alway just justify it by saying they gave it a new meaning. As it was originally meant to show that the emperor looks to the future not the past, then the imperium took it and gave it the meaning that each head is for the two sectors comprising the imperium. So a new chapter could give it its own meaning, or just stick to the emperors original version.

Good ideas flying all over this thread!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Also, the cumps in the store disqualified my entry because I wrote more than specified 1 paragraph of background. They could have told me that 'make your own chapter' in fact meant 'paint your marine in pretty colours'.
    Are your kidding??? What a bit of twits. There should have been no page limit on the fluff. You would have won in my book. I like that whole Ahkenaten-Emperor idea.

Maybe somebody should start a post-your fluff thread... or has that been done?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123