BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default rage and independent characters

I know this has probably come up before but thought I would ask anyway as it's been bugging me for a while now and I can't find anything on it in the rule book,

If an independent character joins a unit that has the rage special rule, and the independent character does not have the rage special rule, does the character become subject to it?
    In the book it says for certain rules they lose it if both do not have it i.e fleet, infiltrate, move through cover, scouts.
    But it does not state what happens for the other rules, for some rules it mentions what happens if there is an independent character for example relentless, but rage has nothing.
    http://malletman40kfantasyhobby.blogspot.com/

Librarian

USR's with an asterisk (*) are lost by an IC or Unit that joins (or is joined) by a unit or IC without the USR.
    Rage does not have an asterisk and is not lost when an IC joins the unit.
    The unit with the IC would still move as per the Rage rules.

Although couldn't you move the IC so that he was in coherency and therefore part of the unit, and use that movement to bring an enemy unit closer?

Use the IC as a "slingshot" since he's got the ability to take a raging unit 3" or so closer to something than they were before?
    We are heavy metal pirates! / We sail across the skies! / In our battleships of cosmic steel / we're terror up on high! - Alestorm

Librarian

Paul, I believe that in your case this could be done, but it would involve some tricky maneuvering, because the rest of the unit definitely WOULD be compelled to move towards the nearest visible unit whether he wants to slingshot them or otherwise. The best you could manage here would be to have the IC join them (preventing them from moving any further if able) and then position him so that they are closer to your preferred enemy target.

The character won't be subject to rage, but the other models in the unit will be, so if you want him to stay attached to the unit, his options for moving will be limited to a large degree. The individual models of the unit with Rage will each have to move towards the nearest enemy, regardless of what the IC does.

(The reverse is also effectively true, as an IC with Rage will largely limit what a non-Raging squad he is attached to can do.)

Chaplain

Rage isnt that big of a deal anyway the only limmitation to it is you must move towards and run if you choose to the nearest visable enemy unit now this means you can shoot any unit in range and charge any unit in range not nesseceraly the nearest

Veteran-Sergeant

Is there a specific case or set of models you are trying to refer to? Death Company and a Librarian maybe? If you explain more you may get more info.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

I dislike the rage rule, you can get dragged around the board and be bought straight into a trap you may have noticed, yet have no control about it. Best way is to put units with rage in a vehichle, then rage has no affect whatsoever. Then hop out assualt and hopefuly block line of sight or make sure you are far enough away from your vehcihle that when you rage towards an enemy unit you are within distance of re-emabrking your vehichle again.
    Best viable tactic for these units.