BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Librarian

I've never worked with actual greenstuff, but have worked with special clays that seem similar.
    They sand down, or can be chipped off, pretty easily if working on metal; so mistakes shouldn't be too hard to fix or replace.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Adeptus Custodes

Isotope, do you mean that the green stuff is fingerprinty when you put it on the model, then you smooth it down with your finger?
    More Necromunda please.

where is a good place to get green stuff? I thought the GW stuff seemed a little pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailkeeper View Post
    Isotope, do you mean that the green stuff is fingerprinty when you put it on the model, then you smooth it down with your finger?
    Yes, that's how I usually do it: shape it with fingers, smooth it and then use the tools to texture it.

You can usually get the green stuff off a smooth surface pretty easily, harder off a rough surface.

I hope the tutorial is useful to you!

Regarding tools, I'd recommend a sewing pin as being much better then a toothpick, perhaps mounting it in a pin vice to use for better control. A scapel or hobby knife blade will also come in handy, personally a scaple is one of my top tools for sculpting. The thing you'll struggle with the most is getting a smooth finish, finger prints can really ruin your work. I'd always suggest rubber headed clay shapers, you only need one, but if you really dont want to invest in any tools at all possibly the end of the handle of a piece of smooth and rounded cutlery or at a push a teaspoon may yield okay results. Certainly better then using your fingers. Just be cautious not to press down too hard, you basicly want to no more then rest the tool on the surface - and don't forget plenty of water or whatever other lubricant you favour. Personally as long as you dont use too much I find water (or salivia for that matter!) more then adequate.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Adeptus Custodes

Thanks everyone for the advice! my mini has just arrived in the post, and I've ordered some greenstuff off ebay which should arrive any day now. Expect a WIP thread on my Chaos Commissar some time next week roughly
    More Necromunda please.

Chapter-Master

I've found that greenstuff sticks to things similarly to how plastic can be glued to metal. Fairly sturdy, but you can break it off without the use of power tools.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Hi I also wondering about alson doing some work with green stuff can anyone recommend a decent tutorial?

Adeptus Custodes

Maybe the greenstuff I got was old, but it was much tougher than I imagined it would be, I always thought it might be a bit runnier. Still this made it easier to handle. My commissar is v much WIP but I'll set up a new thread with pics soon
    More Necromunda please.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailkeeper View Post
    Maybe the greenstuff I got was old, but it was much tougher than I imagined it would be, I always thought it might be a bit runnier. Still this made it easier to handle. My commissar is v much WIP but I'll set up a new thread with pics soon
    Two things that can affect it:

The amount of hardener used (the blue)

Temperature, cold fingers are no good

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast