BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The same reason one Wife isn't enough!

I mean...<shifty eyes>

Librarian

One is definitely not enough, one needs the variety to make it lots more fun.

For me it is mostly the modelling aspect of it, converting and painting to make really cool and stunning models. That is what drew me to the nids, and that is what is making my decision between Dark Eldar and new Necron so much more difficult, though now i am tending towards the Necron at this point in time.

regardless, when i choose an army, how they work doesn't even factor into it all, just the models themselves. if i do not like the models then i have no interest in the army, which is part of the reason i dislike pretty much all of the imperium armies, they just don't do it for me. My style of play is fairly adaptive though, so even if it is a fighting style i am not exceptionally familiar with im a fast learner and very adaptive so all that matters to me is the models.

Amusingly enough with me trending towards the new necrons, and my brother is really into the eldar, and wants to make his own army, ironically we will be archnemisie. We will have some of the most awesome battles evar.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Chaplain

I change armies because I get tired of playing one army (or people get tired of playing against it).
    I don't SELL that army just because I want to play another one (They aren't wives you have to divorce in order to fool around with some other floozy).

I just choose an army from what is available (where I like enough models to make an army) and go from there. Until I also tire of that one (or again, people tire of playing against it).

After 23 years, I now have 4 40k armies (yes, ONLY 4 - most of them didn't appeal to me). I am now in a bind. In order for me to start a new army, I have to now get rid of one that I have in order to fit it into the space available. Here is the problem, NONE of the new armies have enough models I like the look of MORE than the ones I already have, so I don't add any more.

Veteran-Sergeant

i always like to have a zenos army and a marine army just to give some variaty to my gaming

I get around the inclination to want more armies by having little 'display armies' 500-1000pts of stuff painted for interest and aesthetics rather than FoC legality. If a new kit comes out looking pretty I can add to it. This way I keep most of my time and energy for my main armies (Eldar, Dark Eldar, Empire, High Elves, Dark Elves) and not being siphoned off into little side projects like Tomb Kings, Space Marines, Dwarfs, Lizardmen and whatnot.

As to why people want more than one army, generally I think it is the general desire for variety compounded by the fact most GW armies have a strong, vibrant aesthetic which makes them stand out.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I get around the inclination to want more armies by having little 'display armies' 500-1000pts of stuff painted for interest and aesthetics rather than FoC legality. If a new kit comes out looking pretty I can add to it. This way I keep most of my time and energy for my main armies (Eldar, Dark Eldar, Empire, High Elves, Dark Elves) and not being siphoned off into little side projects like Tomb Kings, Space Marines, Dwarfs, Lizardmen and whatnot.

As to why people want more than one army, generally I think it is the general desire for variety compounded by the fact most GW armies have a strong, vibrant aesthetic which makes them stand out.
    There are a lot of one off models that I have from various armies just for the fact to paint them up for display, which in turns leads me to actually building that army sometimes because I had such a fun time painting that one model that I try a few more then next thing you know, "bam! I have another army."

A lot of the fantasy armies come into play that way for me more recently, but that is a story unto itself for a lot of the gamers; this has also taken to me into other game systems to try out a variety of things. Gaming is like freaking crack.

-Cheers!

First I started SM. Actually, started with a predator because I felt like building a model and the only place nearby was a game store, not a hobby store.
    Then I decided on an initial theme, and got some Grey Knights as allies. My friend started guard, so I picked up a few of them too. Then came Apocalypse. The massive bundle deals meant I ended up with a Suppression force, a Linebreaker Squadron, a Russ Squadron, a Green Tide, a Tau Battlesuit box, a Tau tank box, a Tau Megaforce and Battleforce. Also several Baneblades. Then along came Forgeworld, and the start of a titan force. Daemons showed up when they came out as an enemy for my Grey Knights, and sisters as another small allied detachment. Finally, Dark eldar got a revamp so I am slowly starting those.

GW is like Chaos. It starts subtle, then eventually it corrupts you more and more until it owns your soul.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    First I started SM. Actually, started with a predator because I felt like building a model and the only place nearby was a game store, not a hobby store.
    Then I decided on an initial theme, and got some Grey Knights as allies. My friend started guard, so I picked up a few of them too. Then came Apocalypse. The massive bundle deals meant I ended up with a Suppression force, a Linebreaker Squadron, a Russ Squadron, a Green Tide, a Tau Battlesuit box, a Tau tank box, a Tau Megaforce and Battleforce. Also several Baneblades. Then along came Forgeworld, and the start of a titan force. Daemons showed up when they came out as an enemy for my Grey Knights, and sisters as another small allied detachment. Finally, Dark eldar got a revamp so I am slowly starting those.

GW is like Chaos. It starts subtle, then eventually it corrupts you more and more until it owns your soul.
    No frelling kidding
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12