BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Helbrect battles stormlord. Stormlord wins battle. Instead of killing helbrect lops his Hand off to humiliate him and remind him of his failure.

Yes to Korsarro Khan.

See my PM scad.

www.queencityguard.com

Iron Father

The Necron fluff really is pushing them forward as being noble in battle isn't it. You know letting people go because they fought with honour etc etc, the new fluff is riddled with it. I kind of like it.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Well I think they are going a little out of their way to show some of the more honorable Phaerons so as to contrast with the old Necrons. There seems to be a lot more who are squashing their foes like bugs than there are ones who are giving them a chance to surrender.

I've slogged through this thread in an effort to see if my one gripe with the fluff was brought up by anyone. Either nobody thought of it or most don't have a problem with it. Don't get me wrong I really like the new direction of the fluff. Having Thor's head and or a Primarch doesn't bother me too much. (I'm honestly leaning toward it's a fake or he's just that damn tricky and makes judicious use of mindshackle scarabs)

What does bother me though is the Necrons have no means of FTL travel or communication of their own. In fact in the section on the Dolmen Gates it's specificaly said they would be screwed without them. Yet they are supposed to have had a mighty galatic civilization for thousands of years before the co-opted their tiny part of the webway.

That just kinda sticks in my craw and I was wondering if anyone else was bothered with it or had thoughts on it.
    Last edited by ZenPaladin; 11-07-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Grammar and clarity

Veteran-Sergeant

tryzan the del boy of the necron world lol

I am annoied at the complete loss of the Pariah fluff (not so fussed with Pariahs as a unit), that piece of fluff was so relevant to the Imperium too, and it's a shame they removed it. Everything else I am good with
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Brother-Captain

Has anyone seen Trazyn the Infinite's fluff? Specifically, the letter he wrote to Inquisitor Valeria from the GK codex? It's hilarious.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    Has anyone seen Trazyn the Infinite's fluff? Specifically, the letter he wrote to Inquisitor Valeria from the GK codex? It's hilarious.
    I frickin' love that blurb! It's genius!
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=10151
    My Craftworld Arithym Project Log. Please have a look!

Question Fluff in the new Necron Codex

I really don't care for the new fluff. I think the greatest problem with it is that it demonstrates a failure to internalize and apprehend the paradigmatic elements of the setting of the 40K universe. Heavy influence from the Dune series is evident in early fluff, and we have observed a steady digress away from that initial metanarrative. The new Necrons are a manifestation of what amounts to nearly a different paradigm of existence from where it all started years and years ago. The more that I work to try to see this latest codex as a completely new manifestation, a completely different race than what I knew before (the Old Necrons, if you will), the more palatable it becomes. This does not help the maturity of the writing, unfortunately, which is written as though by a fourteen-year-old who is convinced his sadly poor iambic pentameter has any real value simply because he put his heart into it. From a literary-critical point of view, the fluff is downright painful. Philosophically, the new fluff is equivalent to a tween's understanding of ontology.
    I had a hard time with some of the new rules, and the one-dimensional game concept of the faction is now a thing of the past; however, they seem like they'll be reasonably balanced and afford many, many more options than the Necron player has ever enjoyed before. I will miss T5 Immortals with S5, AP4, Assault 2 weapons. But they are 11 points cheaper than they were before -and they're Troop choices. All-in-all, I am appeased, at least, with the new rules. It'll be great for players who don't have attachments to the "Old Necrons"--you know, new players coming in to pick up Necrons for the first time. For those of us who have stuck with Necrons for the past decade, I have to say it kinda' sucks...

Veteran-Sergeant

Helbrect battles stormlord. Stormlord wins battle. Instead of killing helbrect lops his Hand off to humiliate him and remind him of his failure.
    Just as an addendum: later on Helbrecht tracks this Necron down and boards his ship. He then proceeds to send the Necron running. As he couldn't kill the Necron who took his hand, Helbrecht settles for pointing the Necron's ship at a sun and letting it fly.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swordthain View Post
    I really don't care for the new fluff. I think the greatest problem with it is that it demonstrates a failure to internalize and apprehend the paradigmatic elements of the setting of the 40K universe. Heavy influence from the Dune series is evident in early fluff, and we have observed a steady digress away from that initial metanarrative. The new Necrons are a manifestation of what amounts to nearly a different paradigm of existence from where it all started years and years ago. The more that I work to try to see this latest codex as a completely new manifestation, a completely different race than what I knew before (the Old Necrons, if you will), the more palatable it becomes. This does not help the maturity of the writing, unfortunately, which is written as though by a fourteen-year-old who is convinced his sadly poor iambic pentameter has any real value simply because he put his heart into it. From a literary-critical point of view, the fluff is downright painful. Philosophically, the new fluff is equivalent to a tween's understanding of ontology.
    I had a hard time with some of the new rules, and the one-dimensional game concept of the faction is now a thing of the past; however, they seem like they'll be reasonably balanced and afford many, many more options than the Necron player has ever enjoyed before. I will miss T5 Immortals with S5, AP4, Assault 2 weapons. But they are 11 points cheaper than they were before -and they're Troop choices. All-in-all, I am appeased, at least, with the new rules. It'll be great for players who don't have attachments to the "Old Necrons"--you know, new players coming in to pick up Necrons for the first time. For those of us who have stuck with Necrons for the past decade, I have to say it kinda' sucks...
    I'm sorry you miss your old, shallow Necrons with the glossed over fluff and relatively no backstory.

From a literary criticism point of view, I wholeheartedly disagree with your take on the fluff. It is well written, clever and self-referential in many places (see the aformentioned Trazyn bit), and does really nice job of connecting both back to previous codices and established Black Library fluff.

www.queencityguard.com

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast