BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Stripping Old Metal Models

So i have these old metal models sitting around from years back, and i am trying to get them stripped, and i am using acetone. This is doing a great job getting the bulk of the enamel paint out (yeah, i was young, give me a break, lol) but there is still a lot that isnt even coming off with scrubbing with a hard brissel tooth brush.

the issue is mainly in the cracks and details of these old models, that enamel just doesn't wana come out, and its getting tough and i have been soaking the buggers for a few hours now in acetone.

any suggestions on things that will work better to get the rest off?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Leave 'em in over the weekend, then scrub them, dipping them in and out of the acetone as you do it. Which, of course, means wear some latex gloves while you do it.

If there's still some recalcitrant paint, scrub the hell out of them, and what won't come off, dump back into the acetone till the next evening - sometimes it's just too thick for it to get all in one go.

Brother-Captain

Have you tried Pinesol? I've not tried using it against enamel paints, but when I've stripped miniatures in the past I've found it goes through everything, primer and all. I'd soak my minis for a day or so in it and then use an old tooth brush to gently brush off the gunk.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by faolan View Post
    Leave 'em in over the weekend, then scrub them, dipping them in and out of the acetone as you do it. Which, of course, means wear some latex gloves while you do it.
    This. If you still can't get the paint out of the little details you may have to take a dental pick to it. Sometimes the paint with actually break free fron the model but gets trapped in the holes and folds of the detail. All they need is some careful poking at with a dental pick and viola!!! And as a bonus,your mins won't get jinjavitus.

Librarian

I don't know if Dettol works on enamel. I suspect not. Brake fluid is quite good, I hear, though I've not had the courage to try it myself.

Honestly, if it's enamel in the cracks, I doubt you'll be able to fully get all of it out; I'd aim to get as much off as possible, but be prepared for a slight loss of definition on the model.

Chaplain

tried a electric toothbrush on them? the vibrations may be enough to dislodge the rest after a good soaking. though i would wear face protection the brush will probably splash it everywhere.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

I use a paint thinner I get from Lidl the supermarket chain. You get a litre for £1.99--it is mostly a cellulose thinner with some acetone in it. The manufacturer is ---Baufix--Made in Germany I think. I soak the model overnight and scrub it the next day with an old toothbrush--takes about 90% of the paint off then, another overnight soak and voila!!

Just as an aside--I've also used it as an enamel paint thinner. I've used it on Humbrol, Xtracolor and Modelmaster with great effect.

Good luck with scrub!

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Power-Dissolver-12-8-Fl-Bottle/dp/tags-on-product/B002PBEGYS[/url]

15 - 20 minutes rinse and hit it with a tooth brush and most should fall right off.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    I use a paint thinner I get from Lidl the supermarket chain. You get a litre for £1.99--it is mostly a cellulose thinner with some acetone in it. The manufacturer is ---Baufix--Made in Germany I think. I soak the model overnight and scrub it the next day with an old toothbrush--takes about 90% of the paint off then, another overnight soak and voila!!

Just as an aside--I've also used it as an enamel paint thinner. I've used it on Humbrol, Xtracolor and Modelmaster with great effect.

Good luck with scrub!
    this sounds like my best bet as the acetone i have used so far has gotten the bulk of the mess off, hoping to start over do some priming, and get some really pretty models soon.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg