BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Monolith Teleport Question

Greetings all!

Whilst perusing the new Necron codex I gave the Monolith entry a good look and think that the teleportation ability is quite different. The old Monolith could teleport units out of combat and any unit teleported in such a way got re-rolls for WBB. The unit teleported out of combat had to be within 18" however and then one couldn't use the particle whip. This ability was also restricted to units with the Necron special rule. However I don't think that this is currently the case.

Necron codex p. 47
    Dimensional Corridor: At the start of the Movement phase, choose one friendly unengaged non-vehicle Necron unit on the battlefield or in reserve. That unit immediately phases out from its current position and 'disembarks' from the Monolith's portal. Any models that cannot be placed are removed as casualties, but the move is otherwise treated exactly as disembarking from a vehicle that has moved at combat speed.

My question is can C'tan shards, Canoptek units, etc. use the teleport ability now? Does Necron refer to the army as a whole like Vespids and Kroot are in the Tau codex but aren't Tau? Or does it literally mean that they have to be Necrons? In the old codex Necron was a special rule that was listed for every appropriate entry and the teleport entry for the Monolith explicitly stated that only units with the Necron special rule could use it. That is not the case in the new codex. The only restriction is that the teleported unit cannot be a vehicle or engaged in CC.

What do you think BoLS readers? Has this been discussed in your groups? If so, how was it resolved?
    Last edited by Necron_Lord; 11-15-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Chapter-Master

hey! yOu are scOOping my thread!

I believe that this is everything as the necron special rule is now gone as you say and instead the restriction is "unengaged, non-vehicle".

Most of the non-necron units you'd want to use it for are assault based though, so its not game breaking as they count as disembarking from a non-open-topped vehicle and so can't then assault.

probably going to need the FAQ to get a definitive answer on this though.

Brother-Captain

sounds like they are trying to exclude non-army related stuff that might be friendly (such as in a game of Apoc, or when playing with allies). You can pop any unit through as long as it's necron in origin,like if you're allied with another Necron force, but if you're allied with Blood Angels, you can't pull a friend Assault Squad through. That's how I read it.

Chapter-Master

Sounds about right.
    Note that the rules specifically states that the Vehicle counts as moving for the disembarking unit. Either you hurry up and wait with assault units, or you pop a shooty unit through...

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    hey! yOu are scOOping my thread!
    I went to your thread after creating mine and noticed that. However, I asked that question on Fritz's blog a couple of days ago and didn't get any response. Like Fritz, I would like to do a Writhing Worldscape/Tremorstave spam list but didn't want my C'tan Shard to cower in fear all game long. I was thinking that having a Monolith to hide behind in a pinch would be mandatory and then went over the entry. That is when I realized that it (and Canoptek Spyders!) probably could teleport with the Monolith. I likey!

Brother-Sergeant

The kicker for me is it allows you to "pick" a unit in reserve and just pull them through. That's it. No roll, just "I choose you C'tan shard!" and poof, there they are. Hmm...notice that if your squad of 20 warriors doesn't fit within 2 inches of the portal, it's going to hurt.

Yeah, that all depends on your definition of "Necron". I think Necron Lord is right, any non-vehicle unit in the codex should be legal but given how "Necron" was an actual unit type in the previous codex and given that some units in the new codex have "Necron" in their name I can see this being contentious for some people.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

since 'necron' is not defined, other than that there is a codex called 'Necrons', means that it would be every unit, unless Errata.

Agreed; you're 100% right Tynskel. I'm just saying that I think this is going to come up a lot for people since people are used to that type of designation from the old codex.
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast