BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Wolf Guard Efficiency

Just got myself a Wolf Guard Terminator pack and went to building them to hesitate and go: "Wait...is this the right build..."

I was going to run three with pairs of Wolf Claws and two with Thunder Hammer/Storm Shields, but now I'm not so sure. It's mainly the Thunder Hammer/Storm Shields combo: For 48 pts. a model that is spendy....

I feel like at least two with a pair of Wolf Claws is a safe bet (Real quick, this pack will be rolling in a Land Raider Redeemer with a Wolf Priest). I feel I need at least one Storm Shield for those nasty shooters and close combat hits out there that ignore armor. The pack's idea is to be a close combat hitter, coupled with the Wolf Priest's 'Preferred Enemy' it should prove a nasty combo. I don't expect them/want them to be shooty but I can't help but think that an Assault Cannon or Cyclone Missile Launcher wouldn't be a bad idea. Also a combi-melta doesn't sound so bad....basically, their are too many options and I am asking for some recommendations.

Thanks ahead of time

Veteran-Sergeant

I think this might be the kind of load out you're looking for:
    a. lots of wolf claws to you get the rerolls
    b. a storm shield to put the nasty hits on
    c. a powerfist (it does the same job as a thunder hammer)
    d. a combi-melta and a cyclone to give you a little downrange threat and the ability to pop a transport so you can assault the troops inside.

Wolfguard Terminator squad
    2 pair of wolf claws
    1 pair of wolf claws and cyclone missile launcher
    1 wolf claw and storm shield
    1 powerfist and combi-melta
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

I personally went with THSS with cyclone missle launcher and a mix of combi-melta and combi-plasma terminators with wolfclaws. Buying the the 5 point cheap shots is well worth losing the attack.

TH/SS Termies are actually 63pts not 48
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

Yeah, sorry about the poor addition. I don't know how I got that number...lol

Wolf Guard have very flexible loadouts, but they pay for it by being more expensive than anyone else's version of the same. For that reason, if you're looking for a hard-hitting melee hammer unit, you are probably better off going with Thunderwolf Cavalry or a well-equipped Wolf Lord with Saga of the Warrior Born. Of course, the former doesn't really benefit from the Redeemer carry, so you'll probably be looking to another plan.

That isn't to say that they can't be useful in a fight, but you aren't going to be able to stand up to other top-end melee units like Trygons, TH/SS Terminators, etc without paying huge numbers of points. For that reason, you're better off playing to your strengths (flexibility, variety) than trying to focus exclusively on punching.

Taking a Cyclone wherever available is a good plan; they're not cheap, but S8 shots are really nice to have, especially on a Relentless platform. Don't underestimate the usefulness of the Storm Bolters and Combiweapons in the squad, either- those added casualties can help out a lot when charging into something nasty. (Combi-Meltas especially are useful here to wreck a tank and then charge its occupants, although Combi-Plasma has its uses as well.)

For melee upgrades, the basic Power Weapon that comes with the TDA is perfectly acceptable against most targets- putting out three PW attacks on the charge is nothing to sneeze at. Bringing a Wolf Claw (not a pair) for a few points more is not a bad plan, although its utility is somewhat lessened if you choose to drag a Wolf Priest along. (Rerolling hits is almost always better than rerolling wounds, except against T5+ stuff.) Taking a single Chainfist can be useful to ID enemy characters and deter Dreads/MCs from getting too close to you. You might take a single Storm Shield in the squad, but it is going to be kind of pricey and it won't save you from "real" melee units, just incidental Power Fists or whatever that people tack onto a squad.
    Last edited by AbusePuppy; 01-16-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: clarity
    http://www.3plusplus.net/ : better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

The best thing about wolfguard is how much you can customize them. I totaly agree you should have a cyclone in there two missile's a turn while moving and assaulting is a big deal. Also dont underestimate the value of a terminator with a power weapon and a combi weapon. Popping out of a land raider and leting loose with rapid fire plasma before assaulting with powerweapons is a great way to melt down any super tough units and it is cheaper then storm hammers by a lot for a similar result as well as giving you some longer range hitting power just in case. I do like the wolf claws but if you are going to use a wolf priest with them your already getting a reroll anyway so you are not gaining as much with them. For a lot more on this topic and some fun builds check out this [url]http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/2009/11/wolf-guard-tactics.html[/url]

The best thing about wolfguard is how much you can customize them. I totaly agree you should have a cyclone in there two missile's a turn while moving and assaulting is a big deal. Also dont underestimate the value of a terminator with a power weapon and a combi weapon. Popping out of a land raider and leting loose with rapid fire plasma before assaulting with powerweapons is a great way to melt down any super tough units and it is cheaper then storm hammers by a lot for a similar result as well as giving you some longer range hitting power just in case. I do like the wolf claws but if you are going to use a wolf priest with them your already getting a reroll anyway so you are not gaining as much with them. For a lot more on this topic and some fun builds check out this [url]http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/2009/11/wolf-guard-tactics.html[/url]

P.S if your going to spend points on a powerfist i highly recommend upgrading to a chain fist it doesn't cost much more and that extra D6 roll can be huge.

Battle-Brother

Wolf Guard Pack (7)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Grey Hunters Pack 1)
    Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Grey Hunters Pack 2)
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Pair of Wolf Claws
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Pair of Wolf Claws
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Storm Shield
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Chain fist
    Wolf Guard: Terminator Armor w. Combi-Melta
    245 pts.

So this is what I'm thinking of running for my Wolf Guard. I understand what you are all saying about the Wolf Claws but I feel the two in there will be good, and haven't turned me down in the play testing with re-rolling the failed rolls to wound.

I'm leaning more to adding Combi-weapons in this squad, and thinking of adding a Combi-Plasma to the Wolf Guard with the Chain Fist.

This squad as of now will be running in a Redeemer with a Wolf Priest and possibly a Rune Priest but as I look at the points being spent here I'm thinking of dropping these guys all together....very sadly.