BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chapter-Master

Hunter Prey: I cannot give any ideas about the movie becuase it would contain spoilers, and this movie is all about not being spoiled. Suffice it to say, this movie will appeal to 40k players very much. Do not read any synopsis on this movie, as they will contain spoilers. Just find it, and watch it. Hunter Prey is the best 40k style movie you can see in my opinion, and it will surprise to what kind of 40k player it caters too as well.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

Hunter Prey was pretty awesome considering it was done with basically no budget. And, yeah, there are lots of twists. I can say the movie opens up with a ship transporting a dangerous prisoner crash lands, and the surviving crew of Tau-like soldiers have to hunt him down again on in tatooine-like desert.

9 wasn't very good. The trailer looked awesome, but then after watching the movie basically none of the stuff that would have been awesome that the trailer hinted at actually happened and there was just some vague message about how humanity died and these dolls are the future. On top of that, some of the elements like the main character's romance with the one girl literally came out of nowhere. No build up whatsoever, and then suddenly they're holding hands watching the sunset together.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 01-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

there was just some vague message about how humanity died and these dolls are the future
    It was more a statement about the dangers of the military co-opting scientific discovery. The Machine is built, and is pure intellect (a metaphor, in many ways, for "pure" science). This is then taken and misapplied by the military (here being an obvious Stalin-a-like, but frankly, any and all militaries would do it given the chance); the consequence is the death of humanity - including the military who started it. Basically, science is of no use to anyone without guiding ethics. Also, the pursuit of an ultimate weapon is a madman's quest: create one and you're less safe, not more.

It was also about the dangers of ignorance. The scientist for building The Machine, naively assuming it won't be used by the military. The military using the machine, assuming it won't attack them. 9 re-activating the machine, assuming that just because you can press a button, you should. Every disaster in the film happens because one party hasn't thought their actions through.

It's also about the dangers of raising children irresponsibly: according the writer/director, The Machine basically has the emotional intelligence of a child (despite it's prodigious talent for creating machines), and has been taken and abused by people in a position of power, then given more power than it can cope with. Quite a strong metaphor for things like child soldiers in the real world.

Then there's that gloriously sad/angry line, where 1 states "They left us with nothing", and the whole film becomes about the abuse of power by preceding generations - the idea that the world doesn't belong to us, any more than it belonged to our ancestors. The idea that present generations have a responsibility to future ones, as we're creating the world they will live in.

If you went to 9 looking for action and horror, well, that's not what it's about. I can see why people didn't like it, but I thought it was really rather clever.

Also, my Necron wraiths are blatantly going to look like this when the plastic kit is finally released.

Last edited by MaltonNecromancer; 01-18-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Chapter-Master

Oh, I understood the message 9 was trying to get across. It just didn't get that message across very well. The trailer showed what looked like a potentially awesome action movie, then gave you a mediocre at best dystopia. I'm not the type to let my expectations get in the way of enjoying a movie, but regardless of genre 9 did not effectively pull off what it wanted to accomplish. The animation was nice, but the plot and writing were completely forgettable.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

I suppose it's probably because I went into it without the slightest idea what it was about. Hadn't seen the trailer or any adverts, just Timur Bekmambetov's name on the poster (and I loved "Night Watch")

Chapter-Master

Don't get me wrong, visually it was great and the animation was solid. I just think the plot and dialogue was mediocre.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123