BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C'tan usage

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brymm View Post
    With the FAQ now out, I do believe you will see a lot more WWS C'tan out there with spamming tremor staves. I am totally doing this.
    I noticed this. Or that HQ which gives it to everyone on turn 1.

A combo that means you have to stand still or 1/6 of your army dies? Dickish....assault armies are going to suffer.... Draigowing is f%$Łed

I can see it getting more common.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Yes I agree. It is about time that a non-imperial codex got a little power. The whole "omg omg omg everything in my codex is awesome i can't fail at any list i make !!11!!!!* Grey Knights business really was getting old.

As far as the original thread goes, I can't imagine you will see any other type of C'tan. If you look at the costs of the abilities, it comes in pretty cheap and pretty powerful. A passive game changer like Writhing Worldscape is just too good on a model that is already pretty beastly.
    I think out of this FAQ you should see two more competative builds besides the "Scarab Farm" business. I reckon you will see a lot more Immotek+Chromo lists, considering I didn't run one because I don't feel like arguing with my friends every time I play. A secondly, C'tan/Okrian/Tremor spam.
    I don't see the Scarab farm list losing much power because most people didn't conga line anyways.
    Go figure, a codex with more than one build!!! WOO!

Veteran-Sergeant

I've used writhing world scape a good bit lately and it's come off as useless. The enemy will just sit back and wait for me to come into range of his guns. One of those things that sounds good on paper but not as effective in practice.
    Last edited by BlacknightIII; 01-23-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknightIII View Post
    I've used writhing world scape a good bit lately and it's come off as useless. The enemy will just sit back and wait for me to come into range of his guns. One of those things that sounds good on paper but not as effective in practice.
    But thats a good thing, forcing an opponent to sit back and fire is what necrons prefer.

You'll always get a reanimation against shooting (unless the squad is wiped out by if ofc) where as necrons still fail in assault and have chances of losing RP tokens and even the entire squad to sweeping advance.

Chaplain

If you make your opponent change their tactics then it is not useless. If they have assault units that are not moving, they are not assault you and you can shoot them to pieces. Also, in objective games it just means you can go to the objectives and sit on them and make your opponent come to you to try and win/draw.

Writhing Worldscape will either change your opponents tactics or force them to roll more dice and take wounds before they get to you. Either way it is worth it. If you hide the c'tan it makes it harder to remove from the game and prolongs it.

The other options for the C'tan I have not decided on. I have uses pyreshards with some success and thinking about the stealth/grenades option and just hide my C'tan and be on guard duty for a back objective.

Transdimensional Thunderbolt is way to expensive for what it is. Gaze of Death seems fun but I haven't gotten my c'tan very close yet.

I defintely see its uses. Vs Orks, it keeps them back, vs DE and Eldar and their skimmers, it could be pretty damned huge.

Dawn of War could be pretty nifty too. Enemy tanks that dont move onto the board due to failed save? Bye bye.

Veteran-Sergeant

The problem is unless they deploy in terrain you have to be within 36 inches to use the tremor staff and then the only weapons we have that shoot over 36 inches are the doomsday cannon ang heavy destroyers. To be effective at shooting with your entire army you need to be at least 24 inches away and even with writhing worldscape at that point your within range of enemy shooting, enemies such as GK and marines can risk the movement with nice armour saves and assualt hordes such as orks and nids can easily afford the wounds caused by dangerous terrain at that distance. Even then unless your strategy is based solely around writhing world scape, its not enough to make a worthwhile difference in enemy tactics. I have tried this tactic multiple times against various opponents using various tactics. You get better use out of your C'tan giving him grand illusion and some CC powers.

Writhing Worldscapes best quality that I have seen isnt in the wounds that it causes but in the level of psychological warefare it inflicts upon the enemy. I am by no means saying its useless, it is just another support tool to help necrons control the battlefield. Use it to aid your army, dont base your army around it.
    Last edited by BlacknightIII; 01-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Librarian

Blacknight, even if you can't shoot as far it doesn't change the fact that your opponent is forced to stay in place or risk serious losses, especially if they are playing with a unit that counts difficult terrain as dangerous already.

Veteran-Sergeant

So I am to sit back and allow my enemies long range weaponry grind me down while I hope he moves? Or do I move into my weapons range and do what Necrons do best?

Librarian

Why shouldn't you do both? You make it sound like an either-or statement. Even guard can do some serious damage in the assault phase under the right circumstances. There is not one single army right now that can reliably win the game without moving, so denying them safe cover is a big deal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast