BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: C'tan usage

Veteran-Sergeant

Because once your within the 24 inch range where most of our guns can shoot you are also within charge range, or shooting range of the enemy. When your that close to the enemy the prospect of moving and possibly taking some casualties isn't such a big deal. The only army WWS has been a factor against was Nids, and that wad because he ran lots of ymgarl. I have tested this strategy many times and it's not very useful. You may have a different experience but ya know these things happen. I am still ranking it as situational at best, nothing to builds your army around.

[code]
    Worldscape (1995pts)
    2000pt Necrons 5th Ed (2011) Roster (Standard)

Selections:

* HQ

* Necron Overlord
    Warscythe
    * Catacomb Command Barge
    Quantum Shielding, Tesla Cannon
    * Cryptec
    * Harbinger of Transmogrification
    Tremorstave
    * Cryptec
    Tremorstave
    * Cryptec
    Tremorstave
    * Cryptec
    Tremorstave

* Orikan The Diviner
    Phase Shifter, Staff of Tomorrow, Transdimensional Beamer

* Elites

* C'tan Shard
    Transdimensional Thunderbolt, Writhing Worldscape

* Triarch Stalker
    Particle Shredder, Quantum Shielding

* Troops

* Necron Warriors
    * Ghost Ark
    2x Gauss Flayer Array (5 Flayers per Array), Quantum Shielding
    * 5x Necron Warrior
    5x Gauss Flayer

* Necron Warriors
    * Ghost Ark
    * 5x Necron Warrior
    5x Gauss Flayer

* Necron Warriors
    * Ghost Ark
    * 5x Necron Warrior
    5x Gauss Flayer

* Necron Warriors
    * Ghost Ark
    * 5x Necron Warrior
    5x Gauss Flayer

* Fast Attack

* Necron Destroyers
    * 2x Heavy Destroyer
    2x Heavy Gauss Cannon

* Heavy Support

* Annihilation Barge
    Gauss Cannon, Quantum Shielding, Twin-linked Tesla Destructor

* Annihilation Barge

* Annihilation Barge

[/code]
    Created with [url=http://www.battlescribe.net]BattleScribe[/url]
    An example list that could try to abuse Writhing Worldscape. The Annihilation Barges Can deal very well with any vehicle in the opposing army, assisted by the Destroyers and the zooming overlord. The Stalker adds some AoE against hordes. That, dangerous terrain and massed gauss fire can deal with most infantry. A large amount of AV13 vehicles make shooting at the C'Tan harder, with the Arks making sure the Tremorstaves can get into position to fire and stay safe.
    The Barges can take Tesla Cannons instead of Gauss Cannons, Gauss just gives a little more AP3 firepower that can help deal with MEQs and even MCs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    Why shouldn't you do both? You make it sound like an either-or statement. Even guard can do some serious damage in the assault phase under the right circumstances. There is not one single army right now that can reliably win the game without moving, so denying them safe cover is a big deal.
    I play Tau and I am VERY content to not move an inch. I have played (and won) games when the only thing that moved more than 6 inches from its deployment location was a devilfish loaded with kroot that was seizing the enemy objective (which was conveniently cleared of enemies because of my very static but very effective hammerheads).

Obviously we can an find exception to any statement, but the point is that certain lists don't need to move and others aren't severely effected by standing still.
    Last edited by Rapture; 01-24-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Librarian

I forgot that Tau are an army that does not like to move much. Which is fine, because a swarm of Scarabs hitting your lines is just as effective as anything else at killing you.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknightIII View Post
    Because once your within the 24 inch range where most of our guns can shoot you are also within charge range, or shooting range of the enemy. When your that close to the enemy the prospect of moving and possibly taking some casualties isn't such a big deal. The only army WWS has been a factor against was Nids, and that wad because he ran lots of ymgarl. I have tested this strategy many times and it's not very useful. You may have a different experience but ya know these things happen. I am still ranking it as situational at best, nothing to builds your army around.
    True in what you're saying but the power in denial of movement for your opponent or at least making them reconsider moving and making charges into cover is worth it in my experience.

It is expensive and spends most of the game hiding away but now the faq has clarified it properly there are now more options for you to potentially explore.

Imo completely worth it but mainly against armies that want to come hit you lots!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234