BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Armor Mks for (Chaos) Iron Warriors or Non-specific Legions

Another background question!

Would the Iron Warriors look like they did Pre-Heresy or would they look more like the Chaos Marines that we see drawn on the covers and boxes?

Wouldn't these marines have about the same armour but with some skulls or spike additions and maybe a symbol of Chaos to denote the fact they acknowledge the Gods of Chaos? I just can't imagine the armour having the crazy designs they have all over them.

Thanks for the responses!

Librarian

if i recall correctly IW amputate mutation and replace with bionics (iron within, iron without)

for me the GW plastics are fine for IW except the heads, pre heresy would use only upto mk 4 maximus and maybe at a push corvus and heresy mk 6 and 5.

they would have the hazard stripes and the gold trim though both pre and post heresy. i dont see the skulls and arrow designs being unfitting to them, especially the termies, those guys would have been the first to turn to chaos as perturabo's vanguard.

[url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/MK-III-IRON-ARMOUR.html[/url]
    those are what i see as IW. yeah its expensive but it looks damn nice
    Last edited by Cpt Codpiece; 03-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Chaplain

Graham Mcneil has expanded on the Iron Warriors background quote extensively in the 41st millennium, you can take these ramblings and trace them back to your assumed 31st millenium if you want.

Inside one of the many fortresses on Medrenguard (this one being subservient to Warsmith Honsou) we find the disturbing ways a new Iron Warrior is created- in a giganitic daemonic womb-thing and the even more disturbing rejects that come from it (including the unfleshed). Also there are forges. With no sacred mechanicus rules (although there are plenty of dark mechanicus), nothing is stopping the Iron Warriors from attempting to create old Mks of armour, current mks of armour, the armour of other chaos legions or even new, specially invented mks of armour (which, when successful could be the chaos armour your warsmith wears).

The Iron warriors themselves, whilst loving metal and machinery are still pretty tribal and rival warsmiths wage war against each other with roving warbands joining warsmiths or acting as mercenaries to the greater Iron Warriors on their home world. Also, whilst the planet is heavily polluted there are many beasts (some daemonically tainted) for them to hunt, kill and show off by wearing their horns and pelts.

I think there is scope to do whatever you want with the iron warriors. They have such a strong theme of machinery and their colour scheme is so strong you can really mix things up. Maybe your warband has slaaneshi tendancies and only has the finest things and pristine armour. Maybe they take pride in killing flesh-bests and are covered with pelts and skins suggesting that they have ended the lives of so much weak flesh.

However the classic Iron Warriors look would be as much MK III Iron armour and MK II crusade armour as possible and as many bionics as possible. Pre-heresy I think there was only Mks I, II and III of armour. Mks IV, and V were produced during the heresy although MK VI was rare.

Definitely Mk II and III...they really fit the theme of the IW's in my opinion.

On cover of HH:Shadows of Treachery both IF and IW have Mk.III and they look awesome.I personally find that particular mark of power armour best fitting for them.

Brother-Sergeant

Thank you all for your replies! They are very useful in imagining a theme and look!