BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Unleash the Slaugth

I've been in a bit of a modeling purgatory, what with various Real Life things happening ;o;, so decided to start off on a sculpt and finish it the same day to get myself going again, quality be damned. Rather pleased with how the little fella came out, though.

It's a Slaugth Warrior Construct. Short version - the Slaugth are maggot-men introduced in Dark Heresy, they're generally evil and get high off human brains. They have a selection of biomechanical Constructs to make up for their lack of numbers. (Worth pointing out - the pic on the collage isn't my own doing, sourced from dark heresy.)

Yeah, my camera work's a little shoddy. If I were to ever amass enough of these guys to use them in a game, they'd probably be counts-as Wracks, with Slaugth acting as counts-as Haemonculi.
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 03-05-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added better photo and newfluffbit

Veteran-Sergeant

Woot! Someone else who's into the weirder, lesser-known parts of 40K! Great work so far, can't wait to see how this turns out!
    By The Brass Balls of Khorne- http://khornesbrassballs.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

That's an excellent, horrible , nasty, slug-thing Jackhammer.
    The body has a lovely gribble to it, cant tell from the pics if you've kept the legs mechanical looking as per the picture or gone more organic looking, what colours are you planing on using?

Chapter-Master

First interesting 40k related thing iv seen in a few years for sure. Nice to know someone else out there has a superior imagination
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

Dude. That's pretty freaking scary. I would not want to run into one of those in a dark alley. Or a well-lit alley. Or anywhere, for that matter. I can't wait to see these dudes completed and painted up. Are you actually planning to use these in Dark Heresy, or is it just for fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    First interesting 40k related thing iv seen in a few years for sure. Nice to know someone else out there has a superior imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidum View Post
    Woot! Someone else who's into the weirder, lesser-known parts of 40K! Great work so far, can't wait to see how this turns out!
    Thank y'all kindly, this model's been my favorite sculpting attempt in quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Justice View Post
    That's an excellent, horrible , nasty, slug-thing Jackhammer.
    The body has a lovely gribble to it, cant tell from the pics if you've kept the legs mechanical looking as per the picture or gone more organic looking, what colours are you planing on using?
    Yup, they're still mechanical - the legs (they're made from the lowest size of guitar wire I had on hand, stripped of coils) were so wiggly when I was sculpting that I couldn't get much good mechanical detail on them. I'm hoping the paintjob'll sell them as mechanical. I'm thinking lively humanish flesh (to contrast with the maggot-men) and dark iron metal, perhaps a hint of purple? Don't have many paints to hand, so it's not happening anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Dude. That's pretty freaking scary. I would not want to run into one of those in a dark alley. Or a well-lit alley. Or anywhere, for that matter. I can't wait to see these dudes completed and painted up. Are you actually planning to use these in Dark Heresy, or is it just for fun?
    No Dark Heresy in my area, unfortunately. If I do wind up amassing enough of these, I'd like to run 'em as Wracks in a Dark Eldar army, seems appropriate.

Chapter-Master

Have you thought of what to use/convert for the actual Slaugth yet? My first thought was dark angel veterans since they have the robes, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to disguise those big armoured legs they have.

For the maggoty faces/arms, you could try a texture-mould. I've been doing these for my own sculpts - basicly id just get a blob of GS and make it into a flat square and get a piece of plastic to make it smooth - then imprint the texture into it, then once hardened glue the bottom of it to a piece of rod so I can press it into the putty. However im not sure how you'd do the maggot texture that way.

You could get very very thin wire and cut it up into tiny slithers, enough to fill a small area - perhaps pour them onto a piece of plastic covered in some slow setting glue.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    Have you thought of what to use/convert for the actual Slaugth yet? My first thought was dark angel veterans since they have the robes, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to disguise those big armoured legs they have...
    Yeah, the Dark Angels would be good if not for the bulk. [URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2170210a_99121466006_WarriorsDead_873x627.jpg"]I'm thinking of using these guys, the decayed robes would work pretty well[/URL]. Plus, once I behead them to add slaugth maggots, I'll have some rotting human heads lying around, perfect snacks for the lil' guys!

Not quite sure on how to handle the maggots, current plan is to try out green stuff twisted into very small rolls, but the wire sounds much less fragile. Flock with a bit of watered down PVA glue over it might also do it - once I get around to these guys, there'll be a fair bit of time spent experimenting on this :P

Very nice! Keep it up!