BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Royal Court Deathstar?

So building on Brents article today and such has anyone actually used a royal court deathstar?

I regularly play jumper and deep strike blood angel lists and against these FNP marines all the gauss and tesla in the world isn't helping. I need to get past those armorsaves.

A courtstar/lordstar seems like a viable option. But shooting or slicing? A mix of both? Veiling or riding in an arc? Obviously phase shifters for all is crazy right? 2+,3++,4+.

Nobody needs all that do they?

Brother-Sergeant

Would the fully kitted out court deathstar include all 5 Crypteks as well for use of their spare wounds? I'd tend to side with putteing them all in an Ark and giving the lords Scythes for maximum pain. I guess it could be equally killy at a range with Harbingers of Destruction with Eldritch Lances.

Actually had never considered a deathstar unit but the more I think about it, the more deliciously gross it sounds.

Librarian

I have seen this list work wonders. A good idea is giving a veil and hoping around the table turn after turn. The ridiculous saves involved help, but the real trick is the impossible task of assaulting a unit that causes your best units to turn around and kill themselves. the unit will do most of its work in the shooting phase. This unit is often in the range of 700 points, though, so watch out. But I have seen 630 points nearly win a 750 point tournament.

Brother-Captain

That's a ton of points of stupid.

5 Lords, warscythes, mindshackles and an orb are 330 points of awesome, charging right out of a Ghost Ark.

Brother-Captain

I actually posted something like [url=http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=19282]this back in January[/url] (I got jumped on, though, for accidentally using the wrong term <*shock, horror*>).

What I'd come up with was this:

Take one Necron Overlord.
    Add 5 Lords.
    Add 3 vanilla Crypteks.
    Add 1 Harbinger of Despair with a Veil of Darkness.
    Add 1 Harbinger of Eternity with a Chronometron.

Total cost: 440

The original idea was the Chronometron would allow you to reroll a missed deep strike roll, but on review I don't think it would legally actually work that way, so revising the above, I get:

1 Necron Overlord.
    5 Lords
    4 vanilla Crypteks.
    1 Harbinger of Despair with a Veil of Darkness.

Total cost: 425

This unit has 10 Staves of Light. If you can land it within 12" of a unit, it can deliver 30 shots at S5, AP3. On average this means it will annihilate most MEQ ten man units whose armor value is 3 or above.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    4 vanilla Crypteks.
    1 Harbinger of Despair with a Veil of Darkness.
    Out of curiosity, I don't have my Necron codex with me ATM but are you allowed to take 5 of the same type of Harbinger? The way I understood it is you could take all 5 of the same type but coudln't take multiple forms of the same wargear (i.e. no multiple veils or multiple chronometrons) outside of the staves.

I know it would be more expensive but going with Eldritch Lances makes them FNP/Terminator killers. Shoot, just going with 5 of those in a Ghost Ark would add that extra layer of armor/protection. Not quite the protection of Terminators in a Land Raider, but an effective 42" threat range.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by herigonz View Post
    Out of curiosity, I don't have my Necron codex with me ATM but are you allowed to take 5 of the same type of Harbinger?
    I'm not taking 5 Harbingers, I'm only taking one. The other 4 Crypteks are just stock Crypteks without any upgrades.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Librarian

You can take as many harbingers of any type as you wish. The two pieces of optional war gear are limited to one per court each. This is explicitly stated in the codex and the faq.

And anyone talking about too many points is ignoring the success if paladins, nobs, thunderwolves, warlocks, etc.

thecactusman17 You can take as many harbingers of any type as you wish. The two pieces of optional war gear are limited to one per court each. This is explicitly stated in the codex and the faq.

And anyone talking about too many points is ignoring the success if paladins, nobs, thunderwolves, warlocks, etc.
    Actually, Paladins aren't that great. One demolisher shell and nearly the entire squad is wiped out.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    I'm not taking 5 Harbingers, I'm only taking one. The other 4 Crypteks are just stock Crypteks without any upgrades.
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were but was just thinking of a situation where you would field the 5 Eldritch Lances is all. I was pretty sure that it was per court (which is why you can only ever have a maximum of 2 Solar Pulses), just wanted to clarify. I guess with the right cover or transportation, just the 5 Eldritch Lances would be tough to deal with for some lists. Wouldn't do well vs hordes though, thats for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast