BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: RIP 'Ardboyz

Brother-Sergeant

Too bad, I liked playing in it. Don't get to do so many points very often.
    Please visit my 40k Youtube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Da40kOrks

Scout

I actually think they decided to cancel it due to 6th edition coming out. New rules and not enough time to get the new FAQs out in time for the tourney. Expect a new tourney type to start back up for 2013. GW has been ramping up with more new stores opening, new paints, models, rules, etc. This is an exciting time to get into the hobby! First post too!

Always wanted to attend when I got good enough (hint: probably won't happen). Sad to see it go.

it's pretty sad that this tournament series is gone. it was truly competitive (well, almost), and did a lot for the game.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by elmo.a69 View Post
    I have to agree. I liked the fact that it gave newbies a chance to play a real tourny without haveing to shell out a lot of cash. ...
    I realize they may be saving cash by not having to paint or pay an entry fee but now they have to field 3500 points in models instead of 1850-2K? That's not a "savings" in any book, really.

I have to agree with WH40KGamer, it's most likely tied to the 5th Ed release. 'Ard Boys was a big draw to field a huge amount of points in a regular tournament instead of going Apoc. That means you got to purchase that many more models to make your army bigger for 'Ard Boys - and you didn't have to paint them!

That's a pretty good incentive on both sides of the fence (GW and the gamer) if you ask me.
    http://www.bigshoota.com
    http://www.waaaghfest.com/

i'm not sure ard boyz goal was to sell more models - i think it was just something that they dreamed up as a promotion. as a tournament series, it was neat, but since the GW staff doesn't normally put a huge emphasis on competition, ard boyz was very much out of character for them. it actually contradicts the GW norm, and so i think it was somewhat ill-conceived.

Terrible idea. I LOVE the sheer beardiness that 'ard boyz always brought out. Even the most timid of players showed up with a mean-on.

While I hate to see any part of the hobby dry up, I remember seeing photos of duct-tape balls with Tyranid bits glued all over them to represent Tyranid monsters at a 'ard boyz. If no one ever has to look at stuff like that again, it's a silver lining at least.

Scout

I can't say I'm personally sad to see 'ardboyz go. Granted, I'm not a Spike. WAAC isn't how I play, and I have mixed feelings about a tournament designed to sell models to people who already have 'enough.' I'm also not a big fan of 'grey' armies and unpainted kits in tournament play. Needless to say, this tournament wasn't for me and so again, I'm not sad to see it go.

What certainly does piss me right off is the fact that this is yet another way for GW to give it's very loyal fans the finger, something it's been doing for quite some time now. This hobby is kept afloat by the amazing playerbase and the fans and every time I manage to forget that GW is basically the retarded kid in the model industry, they do their damnedest to remind me.

If gaming companies were women, I'd be married to GW unhappily, and flirting with the new girl at work (Privateer Press) and passively-agressively hopes that either she'd sleep with me, or my 'wife' would take the hint.

Battle-Brother

Default mixed feelings

I am fortunate enough to have a great FLGS near me that runs monthly 40k tournaments. While prize support does often turn out some really competitive players/armies, I have mostly just played "for fun" and to "meet new people" in my area.

Even though Ard Boyz wasn't the best format, there were people I only saw in the store during that time. It was their once-a-year tournament game where they could bring and play all their toys at once. I have only played in the prelims, but I can say that I've had fun both years. People were just playing what they wanted, there were no super net-lists stomping everybody. Heck, we talked more about model conversions than list building.

The point is, it was social and fun. I hope something else replaces it that brings in new players.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast