BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by plawolf View Post
    If it is the latter, it definitely deserves a full novel to explore, and doing so would offer a very unique prospective to show us how a Legion deals with the death of the Primarch.
    Great point. Here's hoping we get it.

Chapter-Master

I must say once more ....

The Horus vs Emperor fight in the old 'Lost and Damned' book was awesome, written by Bill King I believe. I thin they should either incorporate it, or at least get Abnett to do it.

No one else will do the piece justice methinks.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I must say once more ....

The Horus vs Emperor fight in the old 'Lost and Damned' book was awesome, written by Bill King I believe. I thin they should either incorporate it, or at least get Abnett to do it.

No one else will do the piece justice methinks.
    agreed

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdeath3 View Post
    The heresy lasted a little less than a decade.
    The Long War as the Chaos Legions call the Heresy is still happening. Theoretically there's 10,000 years worth of stuff to write amount.

I think we'll get Iron Hands and Iron Warriors at the Battle of Tallarn.

There's at least 10 novels to be had in the period after the battle of terra. The flight to the eye, the iron cage, the second founding, reorganization of the high lords of terra all come immediately to mind.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Veteran-Sergeant

as much as i liked prospero burns, i really really want a book on the space wolves, from a space wolves perspective... not a human scribe.... doubt ill get my wish but heres hoping

on another note, i cannot CANNOT wait to read the books about the siege of terra (hopefully written exclusively by Dan Abnett)

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarcissist View Post
    the siege of terra (hopefully written exclusively by Dan Abnett)
    Let's hope its more like Necropolis and less like Double Eagle. I don't know if I could stand reading it with the kind of contrived nonsense that was in Double Eagle (or such a horrid melodramatic ending).
    Abnett probably does characters better than anyone else in the BL stable, but he sometimes seems to simply demand that we accept his contrivances in ways that just seems a bit much. I don't think he's in the top 3 for big battles overall for that reason.

I think Dan does details like no one else in the BL, but his weakness is that he just doesn't write very good fight scenes or large scale battle scenes.

As much as I enjoyed Know No fear, it reads very much like a documentary. The scale of it was impressive, but sometimes it just feels a little too sterile and vague. Which is ironic, as I think this is an example of him over compensating a little by trying to focus on the 'big picture' too much.

For really enjoyable and graphic war, Graham McNeil is still the king at BL. Storm or Iron and Galaxy in Flames have far better fight scenes, and even Sons of Ultrama gives a more gripping description of large scale war than Know No Fear.

I really hope that instead of writing a book each as they did with A Thousand Sons and Prespero Burns, they would co-write the books instead, with McNeil doing the big set piece fight scenes, and Abnett building us up to them and developing the characters.

I would love to see some more information on the missing legions. I trust that will not happen, as some mysteries need to be persevered.

Edited for clarity. Thank you InquisitorSog
    Last edited by tentonhammer; 03-26-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by tentonhammer View Post
    I would love to see some more information on the mission legions. I trust that will not happen, as some mysteries need to be persevered.
    I assume you mean the missing legions, not the "mission" legions?

If so, I almost feel like we've gotten more info on them than the Salamanders and a couple of other chapters.

I originally thought the "missing" legions were there to allow players to invent their own founding legions, but that's clearly tossed out the window now.

Whatever the legions did, it's now practically a fact that they were banished early in the crusade and nothing is mentioned further about them. It feels like to me that the primarchs either did not bow the knee to the emperor or that they were so twisted when the chaos gods stole the infant primarchs that they and their legions were done away with, possibly with their marines folded into the Ultramarines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast