BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Falling Back from Battle

I was teaching the rules to a new friend last night (the Necrontike, if you read my post in Tactics) and I came across a situation that I think I handled incorrectly. I wanted to check in with you.

I know that if you fall back, you must fall back directly towards your own table edge. If the way is blocked, the unit is destroyed. How does this relate to falling back from close combat in the case where the enemy unit you were just fighting is between you and your own table edge?

I play Blood Angels - lots of assault squads - so you can imagine that this doesn't come into play very often. My dudes always fall back 3d6'' and use their jump packs, so they can jump over intervening opponents. The Necrontike's Necron Warriors don't do that, and I was unsure of the rule. I assumed that they are destroyed, since they can't fall back properly, but I'd be happy to learn the proper rules.

It doesn't matter where the unit you were fighting is positioned; per p45 in the rulebook (small version at least)

"Models falling back from close combat will move through all enemy models that were involved in that combat . . . If any models would end their move less than 1" from one of these enemies, extend the fall back move until they are clear.

Next paragraph below that one adds the following:

"The models in the falling back unit may move around [impassable terrain, friendly models or enemy models] in such a way as to get back to their table edge by the shortest route, maintaining unit coherency."

Hopefully this assists in clearing up the confusion.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

Thanks!

Also remember that, while a unit must fall back in an effort to reach it's own table edge, the unit only has to move the full distance of the dice in an effort to get to it's own table edge, without doubling back. It does not have to end up closer to it's own table edge. So, if your unit had a wall of Chimeras between it and the table edge, it would move along the wall to try and get off the board, which might actually cause the unit to get further from your board edge. (imagine the unit in the bottom of a V-formation of vehicles, for instance).
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Brother-Captain

Aye, as long as the unit does not move away from its table edge while falling back they're okay (relatively).

That is a great tactic to keep your forces on the board and give them a chance to regroup! Thanks for the input.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, its very difficult to actually destroy a falling back unit.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Yeah, its very difficult to actually destroy a falling back unit.
    Well, it's very difficult to destroy a falling back unit by trapping them. You could assault them (causing them to test to regroup, if they fail, they die) or shoot them to death.
    "You look at all this gunline and think: 'I could assault with this!'"
    "D*** it, Sam! Stop counting to such high numbers!"

I'm rather fond of shooting broken units.

It always gives me a warm feeling when I do 25% casualties to an already broken squad.

How many other auto-failure morale tests are there in the game?
    Founding Member Of The "I Hate Cruddace" Fan Club.