BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captainparty View Post
    That was one insane paranoid rant right there. The new White Dwarf is packed full of colour guides and painting guides for new models, no mixing just ways to use the new colours, and the new system they talk about is how people paint anyway, base oat, wash to add shade, high light up and so on, they're just changing names to make it easier for beginners, to state that they're gouging is totally irrational. The new bases are incredible, go on like foundations and yet are bright and pop out rather than being muted, the layer colours are also great, the pictures online don't do them justice at all, some of them are so vivid and gorgeous, I was trollslayer orange yesterday and it looks so nice, miles ahead of any other orange.

As a "paint slut" you should be happy, GW have just created the best range of hobby paints out there. Now, if only they'd do a smoke wash like Vallejo ...
    I LIKE mixing paint.............
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Fstiger View Post
    Well, let's just wait until we have some first hand experience with the newish paints. Praising something before it manifests IRL is quite a gamble, just look at the rather mixed reception the glory that is finecast got. Before people got their greedy hands on the minis there was more goodwill and optimism around ...

I remain cautious in regard to gw-produced paint quality-wise . It is however lovely that there is no price hike involved or less paint per pot - gw is not above such things though that might drive me to more Vallejo (eyedropper fetish)...
    I started with the Army Painter starter kit, and added Vallejo and Reaper MSP bottles to expand it. That's the vast majority of my paint collection.
    "Tothe" rhymes with "cloth."

Technically having seen the paints in action theres no doubt in my mind they are superior to the old ones, I'm a little concerned about the shelf life of some of them, but thats one we cant know about until the future. Is it irritating if shades are slightly different? Of course, but if the formula's really are as much an improvement as they seem on the face of it, I think it will be worth the irritation - and I'm a sticker for consistancy.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Captainparty View Post
    That was one insane paranoid rant right there. The new White Dwarf is packed full of colour guides and painting guides for new models, no mixing just ways to use the new colours, and the new system they talk about is how people paint anyway, base oat, wash to add shade, high light up and so on, they're just changing names to make it easier for beginners, to state that they're gouging is totally irrational. The new bases are incredible, go on like foundations and yet are bright and pop out rather than being muted, the layer colours are also great, the pictures online don't do them justice at all, some of them are so vivid and gorgeous, I was trollslayer orange yesterday and it looks so nice, miles ahead of any other orange.

As a "paint slut" you should be happy, GW have just created the best range of hobby paints out there. Now, if only they'd do a smoke wash like Vallejo ...
    Thank you for questioning my sanity. Just remember, only the insane have strength enough to prosper, only those that prosper truly judge what's sane.

Also, a GW store manager, and their own website, tells me the shades are not exactly the same. Now say I do want a shade exactly as my old one ones are, how do I get it without mixing?

The power of mind bullets?

And as these aren't on general release yet, how do you know it is the 'best' range? What if I think the best range has Ultramarine Blue and Boltgun Metal in it?

Twonk.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

To be fair to GW it isn't they that championed the ludicrous amounts of mixing and focus on technique over aesthetics painting styles. They started with the European painting scene and spread from there (getting into 'eavy metal when they started employing some of the better European painters). Coolminiornot is a far, far worse culprit than GW. It's just sad that GW models tend to look better in non-GW paint jobs because of it.

As to the new range, they aren't on general release but they are able to be previewed in any GW store. I have to say I've not heard anyone I know personally notice any difference in the washes/shades.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Thank you for questioning my sanity. Just remember, only the insane have strength enough to prosper, only those that prosper truly judge what's sane.

Also, a GW store manager, and their own website, tells me the shades are not exactly the same. Now say I do want a shade exactly as my old one ones are, how do I get it without mixing?

The power of mind bullets?

And as these aren't on general release yet, how do you know it is the 'best' range? What if I think the best range has Ultramarine Blue and Boltgun Metal in it?

Twonk.
    Worst possible time to loose my tiny violin

Quote Originally Posted by Fstiger View Post
    Well, let's just wait until we have some first hand experience with the newish paints. Praising something before it manifests IRL is quite a gamble.
    Go to GW store. test out paints.

Tried on Tuesday, and they are disgustingly good. Mephiston red is slightly darker than blood red, goes over a black undercoat perfectly in 1-2 coats.

When I bought my Original Wargames Foundry Paint set (shade, standard highlight in each pack) with 144 20ml paints it cost me £85 and that was around 7 years ago.

Personally Im not too fussed as long as the new equivalents for dark angels green, scorched brown and scab red are the same or near as damn it as these are my basic 3 that I build up on. Oh and badab black

belloflostsouls is the reason I use a add blocker. every once in a while, like today, I surf a little without add-block, and I'm fine until I get to this site where my face gets smashed in. Thanks for ruining it for everyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast