BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Scout

If the worst i did was poor naming conventions, i'll take it.

The intent was to use one entry for 3 units, light cavalry, heavy cavalry, and bike cavalry

I do love the cyber hounds as well. I don't think they would get hunting lances (per my definition) so I would give the dogs rending all the time, and take away cavalry since they are all on foot.

Brother-Sergeant

As for other units i've never been able to understand when compaired to Arco-flagellants why Sisters repentia are a 0-1 choice and can't use transports. Having 2-3 squads of them rushing out of rhinos would make them alot more feildable.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    I have to say that Ive never liked the idea of rough riders. The idea of cavalry running around the modern battlefield charging people is too much. I think that the concept of WW1 cav or WW2 Polish Cav would be more fitting, i.e mounted infantry that dismount to fight. The horse aspect being an alternative means of transport from mechanized units.
    You're kidding right?

You are fine with

fungus monsters
    divine interventioin
    abhuman irregulars
    speed of light weapons that miss
    .75 caliber hand guns
    combat chainsaws

but cavalry bothers you?

Brother-Sergeant

Yep i like the doggies idea too, giving you this: standard cavalry (mount), mech-cav' (bike) & hound squad.

Rough riders
    Cavalry, Furious Charge, Hunting lance, Trample. (cavalry includes fleet)

Rough rider with 'steel-horses' upgrade
    Bike, Furious Charge, Hunting lance (guess they loose cavalry & trample?)

Rough riders and Hound-squad modification
    Furious Charge, rending (i'd possibly keep the charge based rending and add defensive grenades to represent the dogs senses?)
    (note: I wouldn't change the type to beasts as the handlers can't keep up with the dogs speed if they where going that fast.)
    Last edited by helline9; 09-14-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmann View Post
    You're kidding right?

You are fine with

fungus monsters
    divine interventioin
    abhuman irregulars
    .75 caliber hand guns
    combat chainsaws

but cavalry bothers you?
    Yep, fraid so.........
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

I have no problem with the use of calvary in a IG army. Remember that the IG is comprised of regiments from millions of worlds. There is not going to be much homogenity with that kind of force. Remember thatr horses dont need spare parts, oiling, fuel (other than food and water), and can traverse difficult terrian.

I like the current rough riders, cheap, dangerously effective, if a bit of a one shot weapon. The only problem is that they share a FOC slot with better, more durable options (Valk, Hellhound variants)

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmann View Post
    You're kidding right?

You are fine with

fungus monsters
    divine intervention
    abhuman irregulars
    .75 caliber hand guns
    combat chainsaws

but cavalry bothers you?
    You forgot:
    deamons
    anti-gravity belts
    chain-axes (chainsaws use constant applied pressure while an axe swing relies on a large mass hitting very suddenly)
    vehicles that have 'tardis'-like space distortion properties (try stuffing 10 marines into a rhino!)

Quote Originally Posted by Glocknal View Post
    I have no problem with the use of calvary in a IG army. Remember that the IG is comprised of regiments from millions of worlds. There is not going to be much homogenity with that kind of force. Remember thatr horses dont need spare parts, oiling, fuel (other than food and water), and can traverse difficult terrian.

I like the current rough riders, cheap, dangerously effective, if a bit of a one shot weapon. The only problem is that they share a FOC slot with better, more durable options (Valk, Hellhound variants)
    At the start of the 2nd World War most European armies relied heavily on horses and horse drawn transport, despite popular myth even 3/4 of the German army relied on them. By the end of that war the horse had all but disappeared from the battlefield. Now, why do you think that is?
    Are you seriously advocating that large amounts of horses are preferable to mechanized transport?

Horses are expensive, need to be trained over long periods of time, require constant care, feeding, water, Vets, wont stay quite when you want them to, make easy targets and are easy to kill. Cavalrymen also take far longer to train then truck drivers.

There are good reasons why the horse disappeared from the battlefield, why would it reappear in the far future?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Scout

Yeah, and within a few years of the invention of torsion bar suspensions, nobody built over the top tracks anymore. So why would tanks with no suspension come back?

Can't use logic like that in 40k.

As for the point about FoC, I would consider making them troops with some kind of restriction. A full field of cavalry would be awesome to look at.

At the start of the 2nd World War most European armies relied heavily on horses and horse drawn transport, despite popular myth even 3/4 of the German army relied on them. By the end of that war the horse had all but disappeared from the battlefield. ?
    Really? I mean did they really disappear? That's a new one. Germans still relied on horses - when they could get them, as they did not have enough fuel for their tanks and aircraft (and trucks were far behind those in supply priorities). Soviets relied on horses for transport as they could not get enough trucks, and cavalry forces were still quite useful - as they could keep up with tanks (and, unlike tank-riding infantry were still able to fight after travelling long distances). Only Americans and Brits could have 100% mechanized transport - but they fought in Western Europe, with its short distances and good road network.

Now, why do you think that is?
    Are you seriously advocating that large amounts of horses are preferable to mechanized transport
    Horses are expensive, need to be trained over long periods of time, require constant care, feeding, water, Vets, wont stay quite when you want them to, make easy targets and are easy to kill. Cavalrymen also take far longer to train then truck drivers.
    Vehicles are expensive, require constant care, mechanics, fuel (which unlike horse feed is usually a rare commodity), make easy targets and are easy to kill (on any kind of modern battlefield "you see it - it is dead"). What's more - mechanized transport requires good roads, horses can go pretty much anywhere.

There are good reasons why the horse disappeared from the battlefield, why would it reappear in the far future?
    Why? Because they reappear every now and then. US Special Forces in Afghanistan fought and travelled on horseback in the early stages of the conflict. Mujadeen insurgents fought on horseback against Soviets - and they were doing quite well...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast