BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many space marines constitute a hoard?

How many space marines are there in a typical 1500pt list?

I am brainstorming a list with the theme of 'a hoard of marines'

I can do a nice balanced list with 56 models... is that enough?

I can get up to 76 if I say to hell with long-ranged AT :-)

(I am having trouble judging scale because it all seems so small compared to the 125+ of my IG hoard )

Chapter-Master

I am sure this will attract a load of answers to the contrary but here goes...

I always try and take 3 x troops choices. I would therefore have about 30 marines in a typical 1500 pointer (YMMV, how long is a piece of string etc).

So I would reckon 50+ marines is getting hordish and also your 76 would definitely be there.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

scouts could spare you a few points. not technically full marines but almost there. Just a thought.

I would say above 50 is the basics of a MEQ hordeat 2k. At 1500, 50+ MEQ bodies is PLENTY! If you're looking for a horde feel I'd say you've certainly accomplished it, care to share the list?
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Currently the ideas I have are (plan is to keep everything on foot, coz thats what hoards do):

1x captain with a power weapon and combi of somesort

6x 10-man tactical squads with a melta and multimelta or heavy bolter

2x 5-man devastator squads with2x lascannons

or

1x captain with a power weapon and combi of somesort

4 or 5x 10-man tactical squads with a melta and a heavy bolter (maybe tool up the squad leaders a bit)

2x 5-man devastator squads with3x lascannons

1x 5-man devastator squads with3x multimelta

Haven't really thought about how useful the lists would be yet... just seeing how much you can fit in :-)

Chapter-Master

I like the look of it. I would suggest keep all meltas in the tac squads, to maximise your anti armour - the sheer amount of bolt fire should be sufficient against other horde armies so as not to miss the HB shots.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I thought about running a marine horde with Lysander to make them all Stubborn. Would help to keep them from running if hit by lots of templates.

If you plan on running a MEQ horde Calgar is an excellent choice. I understand he doesn't really fit at 1500pts but in larger games I would DEFINITELY consider him; he forces your opponent to kill each and every single marine in your entire army since they will never run and never take additional wounds from "No Retreat!". I can tell you from personal experience this is really annoying when even a lowly tactical squad can tarpit assault units for a few turns.

He's also a total beast in combat
    See my blog @ http://perilsoftheblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by blackarmchair View Post
    If you plan on running a MEQ horde Calgar is an excellent choice. I understand he doesn't really fit at 1500pts but in larger games I would DEFINITELY consider him; he forces your opponent to kill each and every single marine in your entire army since they will never run and never take additional wounds from "No Retreat!".
    Ha, only as long as he's on the board. The opponent still has the option of just assassinating him.

Brother-Sergeant

When I think marine horde, I think Templar.

Max out squads with neophytes for wounds. A Marshal gives everybody leadership 10. A champion gives everyone preferred enemy. When you shoot at me, I get to move up an extra d6".

Its fun, and its disgusting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast