BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Well, you can really fit a lot of bodies onto the table. But you also want to make sure you can -kill- enemy models. So dont go too bland on the AT, the lovely thing about SM is that you get free weapon choices, use them!

http://.skared.podbean.com Twitter: @Skari2 Youtube Channel: Skared Cast

Don't worry about the definition, that's a horde.

Chapter-Master

Yes, a hoard of Space Marines depends on how much money and time you've invested into the pile of plastic sitting in your closet. A horde of Space Marines, on the other hand, is a whole bunch of Space Marines on the table top.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother
    Northern Quebec, Mistissini (near Chibougamau)

I would think even 40 marines would be a horde. Got to remember that is 40 dudes with T4 and a 3+.

Here is a list I came up with that I kinda like, loads of marines, and a decent amount of AT:
    Chapter master with Power fist and art armor
    2x Tac with MM/Flamer in rhino
    Tac with PG and PC and TL las razorback
    Tac with Flamer/ML and TL las razorback
    6 devs with 4 LC
    whirlwind
    pred with AC/HBs

47 marine models, 6 tanks, total of 6 LC, 1 ML, 2 MM, 1 PC, 3 flamers, 1 PG and 2 of the tanks are good at killing infantry and light vehicles (for the WW it needs good scatter obviously). The pred could get dropped and give 3 of the sgts PFs for 4 total, and melta bombs to 2 people. Either way the list does give you a lot of marines, plus long and short ranget AT, and long and short ranged AP, with units that can combat squad or stick together, however you see fit, but can certainly defend objectives while being able to take them. The more I look at this list the more I like it actually, and I may expand my marines that my students use to own the needed models for it.

I used to field 30 CSM at 1000pts, and people often had trouble dealing with that, 40+ at 1500 should cause your opponents trouble.

Possibly back them up with Rhinos and Koshorro khan so you can outflank in case of mass battle cannons.

Give every unit meltas and powerfists.

The problem with the marine horde idea is that all variety suffers greatly with lack of mobility. The basic SM really needs to be at mid-range to be effective. Also whist 60+ body’s may seem to be plenty, you’ll find that the reduction in fire power needed when you start running them around to get them where they need to be will hamper you.

So you either bit the bullet and get transports or go with something with a degree of mobility built in. If you going with cheap transports (rhino/pods) to keep the numbers up, then I’d suggest basing the list around SW grey hunters. They have access to virtually everything cheaper than standard SM whist frankly being better at the job. And that before you add in cheap effective HQ, (rune priest) and HS (long fangs). You really can go too far wrong with this type of set up.

The other option is going for high base movement of the assault marines of the BA. There biggest boast is the access to FNP making them more durable whist still being to get to where they need to be quickly and effectively not forgetting some other deployment options due to the descent of angles rule. Having access to devastators help with long range whist not putting out an AV leaving those 35pts laz cannons your opponents forked out for redundant.

The other option (personal fav) is the GK strike squad horde. For 230pt or 250pts to make all shooting st5 or higher you get super marines that or both mobile thanks to assault weapons and deep strike ability that are more than capable of dealing with most things whist being annoying as hell to deal with. At 1500pts you can get 5 full squads (with phy bolt+2 phycannons and a hammer) with a grandmaster or librarian to choice. (ok that only 51bodys but it still pretty cool and you don't really see it that much surprisingly )

edit just posted this on another thread but it shows what you can do
    HQ
    Librarian 150pts with the following powers Might of titan/ sanctuary /summoning/ shrouding / Quicksilver Total 175pts
    HQ Total 175pts
    Elites
    Purifier squad with five extra members with four psycannon with a daemon hammer and two force halberds total 289pts
    Purifier squad with five extra members with four psycannon with a daemon hammer and two force halberds total 289pts
    Purifier squad with five extra members with four Incinerators free with two daemon hammer 10pts total 250pts
    Elites Total 828pts
    Troops
    Grey Knight strike squad 100pts with five extra memberwith two psycannon/ psybolt ammunition and daemon hammer total 250pts
    Grey Knight strike squad 100pts with five extra member with two psycannon/ psybolt ammunition and daemon hammer total 250pts
    Troop Total 500pts
    Running total 1503pts
    Last edited by burning crome; 04-09-2012 at 03:20 PM.

While the GK Strike and Interceptor Squads can put a damper on them, drop pods are wonderful for giving the army (if not the units) some mobility. Back when I played my Ultrahorde I found that by going first I could really screw up daemons (back when they were "good"...i.e. before the newer codices were released...it wasn't a long period). I'd cover most of a 6' x 4' board with the 1750 list b/t the drop pods, assault squad and running. Usually there'd just be the corners for them to deep strike into without running a substantial risk of mishap.
    However, this tactic ISN'T mobility, but merely a way to compensate for the lack of it.

Chaplain

I play almost exclusively infantry lists with my Space Marines, and usually tend to have upwards of 50 marines in a 1500pt or higher game. (3 tactical squads, devastators, veterans, assault marines)
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

If only there was a Grey Knight character that could have made interceptors troops, that would have been a fun list to field, and would actually give you a reason to tale dreadknights over psyrifle dreads.

For marine horde, I think some drop pods would be a good investment, as would lots of missile launcher dev squads to help provide long range firepower to compensate for your lack of mobility and helping to make up for the lost firepower from running your squads to get to grips with the enemy sooner.

Also, it's best not to get fixated with squeezing in as many bodies as you possibly could, as doing so carries too much opportunity cost and runs the risk of turning your list into a gimmicky list that will crush some armies but get totally owned by others, and not be so fun to play with or against.

Interceptors as troops would have just been plan dirty having any thing that scores making a 30" move late game! how bad would the guy have to have been with crown already pretty much a wast of 150pts??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast