BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It's a game. Play with what you want.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

My local GW black shirt doesn't mind 3rd party minis in the store as long as a) GW doesn't offer the model in their range or b) it has some GW parts or c) its fielded alongside GW models. No full 3rd party armies in other words. Likewise, if someone asks where you got it you advertise for them away from the customers.

To the Tau baby: why would GW put out a new Tau codex when people like you don't buy their models. It's a business. Food for thought.
    Last edited by AnEnemy; 04-10-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

the local gw i play at still lets me use my 3rd party twolves. the manager said its ok because "we didnt release the new models until 2 years after the codex, im not gonna punish you for not waiting" real nice dude...

Brother-Sergeant

I prefer to play with and against painted GW minis. I take no shame in saying that. GW makes some of the best models on the market.
    That being said, I have ork kits from several manufacturers mixed in for variety, along with some conversions and scratchbuilts.
    I had the "pleasure" of playing against some third party imperial guard a few weeks ago. The game was okay, and you can't fault a guy for tying to save money, but those dudes across the table were fugly.
    So more to the point: I will agree with the consensus. If I can tell what it is, and its roughly the right scale, and it has the right base, put it on the table and lets throw some dice.

Bethor what models were they, just out of curiosity

Brother-Sergeant

I'm not 100% certain. They looked very similar to the old Warzone! models in styling, but weren't quite as bulky.
    They were perfectly WYSIWIG (except autoguns vs lasguns). They had very limited detail and the arms were a bit fat. larger than the legs.
    I hadn't seen them before, and I failed to ask.

Librarian

I generally prefer GW stuff. Having said that, if I can figure out what the model is, than I'm okay with it.

For example, I'd much rather play a nice looking 3rd party mini that I can recognize than some busted-up piece of GW plastic that "counts as" something completely different. My son has some Wargames Factory miniatures that look absolutely great in my opinion.

Occuli Imperator

My group and I play exclusively GW minis. This wasn't out of any snobery or concious act, moreover it was just the models we have.
    For our group, like many here, the line is crossed when you can no longer tell what it is that you are facing, though that has never happened. As we are all friends we are not terribly hung up on what is correct, the worst proxying that has ever occured was with paper print-outs of a nid list; which was annoying, but that was just while he was trying something new out.
    The models are an important aspect of the hobby just as the rules are.
    I would be disapointed if I were to play against someone who had a collection of monopoly counters, army men and lego bricks saying it was a counts-as X.

Personally, GW doesn't get anymore of my money until they put out a long deserved and needed Tau codex, BUT I digress...

It's a GAME. Treat it as such. Though I agree that 'proxying' can get a little out of hand. I've had a kid out here in Richmond dump a padlock out on the table and call it a 'dreadnaught', so yeah...I do have a line, but otherwise, GW doesn't dictate to me what my imagination can handle, so if I have a comparable model from Scibor or Pig Iron (which make AWESOME looking SM captains, Ordo inquisitors, and IG stormtroopers), or the GW/Forgeworld model is just dumb looking or doesn't match the cannon or fluff, then I either modify or find an appropriate model which matches my view of the aesthetic which matches my army.

So there!

Brother-Sergeant

I really don't mind, as long as you can tell what the model is supposed to represent. If that person put in some kind of effort, why not. Every player has a different vision of their army. And every player sure has a different budget,and resources. Also, house rule: If you use padlocks for dreadnoughts you owe me 25 push ups before that game. And if you use it again you better paint it and base it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast