BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Vindicator, Predator, or Neither?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vindicator

19 38.00%
  • Predator

28 56.00%
  • Both are Crap!

3 6.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Predator vs. Vindicator

I am curious what the general opinion is. Is either worth taking at all even?

Veteran-Sergeant

What is the idea of setting up this poll? Perhaps some more title on the poll would be great before continue on.

Chapter-Master

I haven't played with a Vindicator before, but I've been quite happy with my Predators. They kill things, like woah.

Librarian

Depends on the codex.

Chaos or Blood Angels? Vindicators all the way. Codex Space Marines? Kind of a mixed bag, but the Predator is a great model with good options for killing tanks or infantry, but not both. Wolves? Not even sure if they have options, but even if they did I'd still choose 4 long fangs with missiles. Black Templars can use either very well thanks to Power of the Machine Spirit, but I would take Predators to make popping transports at range easier. Also, it maximizes the number of potential targets they can fire at.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    Depends on the codex.

Chaos or Blood Angels? Vindicators all the way. Codex Space Marines? Kind of a mixed bag, but the Predator is a great model with good options for killing tanks or infantry, but not both. Wolves? Not even sure if they have options, but even if they did I'd still choose 4 long fangs with missiles. Black Templars can use either very well thanks to Power of the Machine Spirit, but I would take Predators to make popping transports at range easier. Also, it maximizes the number of potential targets they can fire at.
    Autocannon-lascannon preds in the blood angels codex are awesome. 6" move while still being able to lay down 4 48" shots is hard to go past.

This is a real subjective question really dependent on the codex your using them in + army build. In truth nigher are bad choices. the vindicator is possible a bit harder to use (well keep alive). In terms of raw efficiency both are mildly over costed but not by much (also depend on codex where for instance in the C:SM laz cannons are so over priced that the predator become a cheaper alliterative)

Battle-Brother

I tend to prefer the predator, firstly because marines usually already have short range covered, and the vindicator is 24" ordnance. :/ Secondly, for the same cost you can get a predator with an autocannon and two lascannons, so 2 S9 and 2 S7 shots at 48" every turn. It depends on your army though.

EDIT: Oops, forgot that's just the vanilla marines codex. I don't really have experience with the rest.

Librarian

Not saying the preds aren't good in Codex Blood Angels, but moving a S10 AP2 Large Blast Template 12" forward is going to wreck someones day, flat out. Especially when you can get fairly cheap ranged dreadnoughts in the elite section and still have point left over for your troops and HQ selections.

Occuli Imperator

I think there are three big questions:
    • In which codex
    • How they fit in with the rest of your list
    • Who is your opponent

Generally speaking, any rhino chasis vehicle in C:BA is better than the rest of the powered armour breathern owing to the fast special rule.
    If they are your only anti-tank, then picking vindis over preds is not a great option. If you have plenty of redundancy of anti-tank than vindis can be used elsewhere.
    If you are going against a horde list then a "dakka" pred is worthwhile, lascannon pred not so much, and vinidis are a good choice (assuming your opponent clusters)

How's this for an answer?

Predators, because a right and proper tank is usually better than an assault gun at versatility, known in Wargaming as 'take all comers.'

Also it's fluffier to have more Predators.
    We are heavy metal pirates! / We sail across the skies! / In our battleships of cosmic steel / we're terror up on high! - Alestorm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast