BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default advice on a baldur list

i'm new to warmachine/hords i want to run a balder tier 2 theme list. i was hoping for so advice on tactics for my list or for advice on the list itself

Baldur the Stonecleaver
    Megalith
    Woldwarden
    Blackclad Wayfarer
    Sentry Stone
    Sentry Stone
    Shifting Stones
    Stone Keeper Overseer

Veteran-Sergeant

I think you'll want to add at least one more Warbeast, otherwise Fury can get scarce really quick.
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

25 points is a little early to be making a grab at Baldur's Tier ranks. You're very light on beasts, so if you lose one you will instantly have trouble with Fury generation. You also have a whole lot of Shifting Stones but not a lot of things that are going to want to jump around. Personally, I have never gotten Sentry Stones to work properly, so I never use them. I would drop a Sentry and a Shifting stone unit from the list and put a Woldwyrd in their place - it's an extra 3 Fury, and the little guy will give you semi-decent upkeep hate and anti-magic.

My first 25 points when playing pBaldur's Tier List are generally filled by Megalith, a Warden, a Guardian and a Shifting Stones unit. The Guardian may be subbed for a second Warden if I'm looking for spell assassinations - 4 fully boosted Stone Spikes can ruin anyone's day.

Veteran-Sergeant

I'd look at dropping the Blackclad and a Sentry Stone unit to add either a Woldwyrd or Wold Guardian (I like the Wyrd). I do like the Sentry Stone, with Baldur you can never have to many ways to generate forests and since so few people play them they don't really know how to deal with them. I know that I've caught more than one opponent off guard and put them on the defensive useing the Sentry Stones ability to pull Fury combined with a Feral Warp Wolfs anamis.
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

I agree with the advice that trying to meet the theme list requirements too soon can be a trap - especially since the tier 4 benefit really won't be worth it until higher points levels. I've been playing pBaldur since Mk II was released and in my experience the sentry stone is really only useful at 35 points or higher. That said, I do think that the Sentry Stone is much better than people give it credit for - especially considering the price. I don't use the Mannikins for forests but for tying up my enemy and threatening them with annoying sprays. Also being able to pull of focus or fury points can be quite the boon! I'd recommend keeping one of them, at least.

I do disagree about taking the Woldguardian. It's not that he isn't great, but rather that at 25 points you'll prefer the flexibility that the Woldwarden offers you with Geomancy. I don't think about using the Guardian until 35 points, as by that time I'll likely see some credible ranged threats and his animus actually becomes quite useful, along with his melee prowess.

I'd also recommend dropping the Blackclad, as he doesn't really offer much to pBaldur since all of your constructs can charge for free anyway, and since your feat will prevent you from getting charged from too many of your foes, you'll usually be able to get the first charge anyway.

Here's what I'd recommend:

pBaldur (+6)
    - Megalith (11)
    - Woldwarden (9)
    - Woldwyrd (5)
    Sentry Stone + Mannikins (3)
    Shifting Stones (2)
    - Stone Keeper (1)

http://steam-poweredgamer.blogspot.com

Your list is setup for assassination attempts so focus on that. You may want to drop the Blackclad and second Sentry stone unit to put in a Woldwatcher. Both its ranged and melee attacks box models and turn them into forests. Plus it can be at ARM 21 on its own.

The trick with the Woldwarden ( when base to base with baldur) is to use its animus to create a forest, walk around and push baldur into it so that he is completely within. Then Baldur can create a forest with Wild Growth and Forest Walk in to it. Because he has reach his threat range for assinations is 14" (15") if you use the push trick. If the mannikin or Woldwatcher can create a forest near the enemy caster that can save Baldur having to spend any fury on making a forest with the warden or he can go without having to be pushed by the warden.

Just stuff to think about.

Glad to see another Baldur player here, but you might want to check the dates on topics before you respond, DW. This topic is from April 2012 and it's unlikely the OP still needs help with his list.