BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Scout

Default Death Guard Help

Here is a current 2000k list I made for a Death Guard force. I would like any input anyone can give me. Please keep in mind the 7 is important...I mean Papa Nurgle says so....

Typhus
    Chaos Terminator Lord w/Mark of Nurgle and Daemon Weapon
    Chaos Terminator Squad
    1 w/ Chainfist and Heavy Flamer
    2 Scratchy ones w/ paired Lightning Claws
    2 Can Openers w/ Chainfist and Combi Melta

All of the above to arrive via deep strike together.

3 Plague Marine Squads w/ Champions...7 in number. With Plasma Gun and Plasma Pistols. Also with Icon. Riding in Rhinos with Daemonic Possession, Dozer Blade and Twin Linked Havok Launchers.

1 Squad of Nurgly Bikers, 7 in number, riding in with a wopping 6 toughness, bless you Papa Nurgle, and sporting melta guns and the champion with a plasma pistol, melta bombs and a big ole power fist and of course with a Nurgle Icon.

Any and all serious advice or tips is MORE then welcomed. In fact it is being begged for!

Brother-Sergeant

Hey there. Good to see another Death Guard player around. I hope I can help, but, as always, my suggestions are built from my own experience and therefore may differ from your experience and the way you'd like to play your force.

HQ
    Typhus can be very good but is rather costly and game-wise fulfills a similar role to a basic lord with terminator armour and daemon weapon. I'd suggest that you only need one HQ so pick the lord of Typhus depending on your points. Just watch out for powerfists as these can quickly kill your expensive character.

Terminators
    Chaos terminators are cheap and this should be taken advantage of. Multiple small squads of terminators, with models armed with combi-weapons, can deepstrike and really tie up an opponent and force them to forget their game-plan. One big expensive unit will draw more fire and be very unwieldy - your opponent can simply run away and avoid them.
    Also, don't forget that terminators aren't plague marines! Your plague marines are better (sadly) for most battlefield uses - feel no pain, T5 that can't be lost, blight grenades, fearless.
    I like squads of 4 - 3 x combi-melta, 1 x flamer, 1 x powerfist - 150 points. This can handle squads and vehicles. Chainfists are not really worth the extra 5 points unless you know you will be facing lots of tough vehicles. Forget the icon of Nurgle, it can be lost too easily and costs too much. I run another squad in tandem, but they have combi-plasma instead to kill scary troops.

Plague Marines
    An excellent troop choice and squads of 7 do very well (some would say they are blessed..). I'd suggest 2 special weapons, a personal icon, and a champion with powerfist - they re I3 so will be hitting last against other marines. Keep 2 of the same special weapon in each squad, don't mix the weapons as the squads are then not as effective. In this way you will have anti-tank (melta) squads with a clear purpose and ant-infantry/marine/monster (plasma) squads also with a clear role.

Rhinos
    Keep them cheap. FA11 with mean they get shot down quickly, and with no other vehicles to draw fire every enemy unit will shoot at them first turn. the basic rhino with no-frills is (IMO) the best choice and saves a lot of points. Run the rhino's forward to put your squads in cover in the mid-field and their role is done (except for last turn objective grabbing/contesting). Also once your squads are out of the rhinos, the rhinos are no longer the main targets and will survive far longer on their own.
    Havoc launchers (IMO) don't do much. A combi-melta/plasma can be good though as your opponent won't think of it (who else can have that option) and then find the empty rhino (which they have forgotten) kills something squishy and shocks your opponent.

Nurgle Bikes
    I don't have any experience with these. Sorry. Again I'd suggest avoiding using expensive icons of Nurgle as these can be lost and cost a lot. Bikes are great to harass an opponent and hit their vehicles/objectives.

Lesser daemons
    Not quite Nurgle but i love them. They can charge from reserve and come in off any icon giving a lot of flexibility. They can also hold objectives and are cheap!

I hope that help. Good gaming.

Ryan

Brother-Sergeant

I understand why you put typhus in there, but he jost costs way too much for what he brings to the table. Go with just the single HQ.

The terminators are okay as they are, but you could trim the fat down a bit.

3 Squads of plague marines is good, but you really need 4 scoring units in 2k.

The bikes sound fun, I haven't seen anyone use them, but they could do quite well.

Drop the Icons, put a personal icon on champs if needed, but otherwise they are a bit pricey.

I think you are going to want some type of shooty heavy support, you might try and find the points for a couple oblits.

Just some quick thoughts.

Keep us posted on how the bikers fare. I'm a Chaos player (Iron Warriors) but have not used the bikes, as the consensus is that they're not so good this edition. I also play a faction that isn't big on the fast attack to begin with.