BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 18 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Librarian

If anyone is interested, global expenditure on intellectual property was 612 billion in 2010, in 2009 estimates of counterfeit goods was 460 billion, 78% of all counterfeit goods come from China. Piracy doesn't harm business's it slaughters it.

yeah, question, what can we effectively do about it? That's right, diddly squat until china decides to play fair.

Ah, there are the personal insults, I wondered when they would come back. To clarify, pirates costs will always be cheaper than GW's since they are not investing time and money in people designing the stuff in the first place, the wages they do pay will be far lower, they are using inferior (cheaper) materials and things like employee welfare will be non existent menaign they can undercut. Secondly I was not suggesting that GW would or should sell at cost, merely pointing out that even if GW did lower their prices this much, the pirates would still undercut so the argument that reducing prices will get rid of pirates holds no water. And again I use the Radiohead example to point out that people wil pirate stuff even when it is free ( I really wish someone would bother to read that) so cost is not the reason why some people choose to support piracy. Use it to justify your own actions if you wish, but you must acknowledge that piracy will not disappear if GW lowers prices and that it is damaging to the hobby and the honest people it employs.
    Really? pirates operate cheaper than GW, NAW i didn't know that. And totally didn't take that into account. [/sarcasm] Do your self a favor and actually read.

Anyway i'm done with this thread, too many complete idealistic idiots who don't get the point.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    yeah, question, what can we effectively do about it? That's right, diddly squat until china decides to play fair.

Really? pirates operate cheaper than GW, NAW i didn't know that. And totally didn't take that into account. [/sarcasm] Do your self a favor and actually read.

Anyway i'm done with this thread, too many complete idealistic idiots who don't get the point.
    I did, don't blame me if your point wasn't clear (btw, sarcasm is sometimes quite hard to pick up from text, so if you want to get your point across clearly you might want to consider not using it). As for not being able to do anything, you could always not buy from the pirates. If everyone did that, rather than making excuses for them and their own selfish actions, it might have a bit of impact. If you don't want to have a reasoned discussion rather than just insulting people, I'm sure the thread will be better off without you.

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    If anyone is interested, global expenditure on intellectual property was 612 billion in 2010, in 2009 estimates of counterfeit goods was 460 billion, 78% of all counterfeit goods come from China. Piracy doesn't harm business's it slaughters it.
    Very interesting figures, can I ask where you got them from?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    If you don't want to have a reasoned discussion rather than just insulting people, I'm sure the thread will be better off without you.
    The Ignore list is an awesome feature. Rarely used, but when it is, it's a godsend.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I did, don't blame me if your point wasn't clear (btw, sarcasm is sometimes quite hard to pick up from text, so if you want to get your point across clearly you might want to consider not using it). As for not being able to do anything, you could always not buy from the pirates. If everyone did that, rather than making excuses for them and their own selfish actions, it might have a bit of impact. If you don't want to have a reasoned discussion rather than just insulting people, I'm sure the thread will be better off without you.
    Ditto. because if you actually read my earlier post you'd notice I never said anything to the order that the operating costs were the same, in fact I implied that they were lower for the pirates.
    Last edited by gendoikari87; 05-01-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

Wow, really? He disagrees with your point in a polite and respectful manner, after you called him an idiot among other things, and you take his response as an insult? What a tool. This is actually kind of amusing.

I do recall reading an article about how the music industry took something like a 50% hit to their profits when illegal downloads started to boom. I'll have to see if I can find that again.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

The music industry is not the best analogy for the effect of pirated material on business.

Despite their claims that piracy cripples their income there are is a lost of social research data that suggest it is in fact either the opposite in that people are exposed to more music than they would be otherwise and therefore develope broader tastes. OR it is a net effect of zero because even if people didn't download music doesn't mean they would go out and by it.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Wow, really? He disagrees with your point in a polite and respectful manner, after you called him an idiot among other things, and you take his response as an insult? What a tool. This is actually kind of amusing.
    Indeed it is. I have thankfully learned not to get too wound up about what people say on the internet (took me a while!) and I take being insulted as a sign that your opponent can't come up with any sensible responses to your answer. I find the fact that there are people trying to justify piracy in any way shape or form rather amusing (whilst viewing it as alarming example of the decline of the moral fabric of society). Anyway, I thought Gendoikari was quitting this thread?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

this is really going to wind me up since I did use this site. And before people start dragging me in to ethics debates the chief thing i was buying of them was 60mm GW bases. You have no idea how hard these are to track down. If you go to GW direct them apart form being stupidly over priced you can only get them in mixed sets.If you try going to a resin base manufacturer then they seem to want quite a premume for this size. I know there a bit more resin in them but not the same as 10 25mm surely. If any one could message me the new site i'd be gratefully thanks

Chapter-Master

Your justification is you were only buying bases, so that's alright? 'I only gave the criminals a little bit of money, so it doesn't really matter'. Well, it's a new one for this thread, I'll give you that, though I'm not sure it's any better than the other lame justifications nor how you think that is going to dissuade people from criticising you.

Page 18 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast