BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Occuli Imperator

Exactly, though you have to be careful as a lot of people try and claim that there is a requirement to have a CRB check when there isn't.
    • If I were to play a sub-18 year old I wouldn't need one
    • If I were regularly teaching a sub-18 year old under the supervision of a CRB checked person I wouldn't need one
    • If I were to teach a sub-18 year old as a one off I wouldn't need one, either at my normal club or at a different one I wouldn't need one
    • If I were to transport a sub-18 year old as a one-off domestic arrangement I wouldn't need one

I've been invlovled in hobbies whereby the overarcing group wanted everyone to have a CRB check when a sub 18 year old joined

Chapter-Master

There is a bit of a difference in Scout Leader and Store Worker. Scout leader you are a registered supervisor, cos i bet the parents don't stick around. That might happen in a GW store, but the law gets fuzzy, cos at the end of the day it is a store, not a babysitting service, despite the way parents might see it

As i said, i've worked in several store with a lot of direct contact with kids (again that just sounds dodgy) and thse stores dont need CRB checks.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

I know they recently changed the law on this, as well.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    I did not think that retail shops were on the exceptions list.
    Also, teaching someone to play the game is tutoring and as such should be a regulated activity.
    Thats crazy and an insane comment...

No my friend that is UK law.

This is unfortunately is not as stupid as it sounds, I work in education and the sad fact of the matter is that the type of people who want to meet children for nefarious reasons are now looking for any way possible to do so since the tightening of the law, they have found it almost impossible to use the "traditional" avenues of approach and have been forced to become very creative. Games Workshop is not a traditional retail outlet and could almost be classed as a youth club whether they like it or not.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    No my friend that is UK law.

This is unfortunately is not as stupid as it sounds, I work in education and the sad fact of the matter is that the type of people who want to meet children for nefarious reasons are now looking for any way possible to do so since the tightening of the law, they have found it almost impossible to use the "traditional" avenues of approach and have been forced to become very creative. Games Workshop is not a traditional retail outlet and could almost be classed as a youth club whether they like it or not.
    That's pretty effed up, Aldy...

Next thing you'll know they'll have undercover cops hanging out at GW stores.

I thought you were supposed to be the more civilized country?

Occuli Imperator

The idea behind it was a good one, as the law also extends to "vulnerable adults" it was meant to be safeguarding those at most "risk". Unfortunatley, the way in which it was implemented meant that instead of being subtle and a targetted approach it was applied quite liberally.
    What makes matters worse is when it is mis-interpreted by an over zealous body. There have been a couple of cases where bands of volunteers have either disbanded or banned under 18s from partaking in an activity because of a mis-interpritation.
    My two areas of concern for the legislation in general are that CRB checks are non-transferable so for every different organisation that I work/volunteer (in a leadership role) at that would puts me in contact with children I would need a seperate check for each body, at one point my sister had 6 different ones. The other is that these checks don't technically expire, though a lot of organisations have their own ruling that they require each CRB check to be redone every 2 or 3 years [/rant]

Librarian

I thought that they had changed the law so you can transfer a CRB if it was in a certain period of time. Although the UK changes laws so quickly in the last 20 years that sometimes its hard to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    That's pretty effed up, Aldy...

Next thing you'll know they'll have undercover cops hanging out at GW stores.

I thought you were supposed to be the more civilized country?

If only that were true

This what kicked it all off really:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soham_murders[/url]

It came to light that Huntley had already been of interest to the Police and should never have been employed anywhere near children.

I live in a sleepy little city in Devon and even here shocking things happen:

[url]http://www.caroleverett.com/ce-crime/kate-b.htm[/url]

No one has ever been caught for this appalling crime. Two years ago a Teacher was sacked from one of the city's secondary schools for having a sexual relationship with a pupil, this stuff happens everywhere.

As I said I work in an educational establishment and am heavily involved with safeguarding, I've seen lots of stuff about the lengths these people will go to to get close to children. If you think that it would be far fetched for such a person to "get into" the hobby in order to obtain employment at GW so they could get close to kids, think again, I've seen cases where they've gone far further.

These people are very clever, very devious and very very sick.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12