BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Start now or wait for 6th?

Hi all:

I got into 40k just after the winter holidays and had been working on a good-sized force of Tyranids. I got my army painted and assembled, but hit some delays, and haven't been able to get time free to really start with the gaming side.

Now, with only what seems to be a short window left before 6th edition comes out, I am getting some free time. I am debating on whether or not I should even deal with 5th edition at this point, or if I should wait to pick up 6th edition and start playing with the updated rules set.

My thought on waiting for the updated rules set was that all indications are that there will be some radical revisions to the system. I'd hate to get started with one set of rules and then have to re-learn what I know when the new version comes out. On the other hand, it could be argued that there's no point in letting the models sit around, when they want to come out and play.

Just curious as to what everyone else thinks...

Brother-Captain

If you start now, you get to have fun for a few months during the waning days of 5th, and then you'll learn 6th along with everyone else.

If you wait, you'll still be learning 6th along with everyone else, but you'll miss out on a few months of gaming in the meantime.

Hesitation is for the weak! Start now!
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Chapter-Master

A lot of the details will likely stay the same, so I wouldn't worry about it. You'll learn the basics, but don't worry about the details too much and you probably won't have to relearn that much, and since it's only another month or two supposedly it's probably not worth worrying about. I wouldn't make a huge investment in models yet, since what's good or not may change when 6th comes out, so just buy what looks cool and worry about competitiveness later.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

The Dark Mechanic

Why learn a rules set you'll have to un-learn in a month? This close I'd paint my minis and wait to learn the rules till July. This advice comes from someone who's played every edition of the game. Old rules seep into your games when you've played previous editions, everyone who has done so has the problem from time to time. Spare yourself the trouble till 7th edition.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Jump in, deep end, both feet, right now. Time is the one thing you will never get back.

I'd say wait til sixth. But if you're itching for a game with 5th kicking around, go for it.

do what makes you happy.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    A lot of the details will likely stay the same, so I wouldn't worry about it. You'll learn the basics, but don't worry about the details too much and you probably won't have to relearn that much, and since it's only another month or two supposedly it's probably not worth worrying about. I wouldn't make a huge investment in models yet, since what's good or not may change when 6th comes out, so just buy what looks cool and worry about competitiveness later.
    ditto

Wait, but probably get models now

6th Ed will come out, prices will go up, and you'll be shelling out even MORE money to our British model casting friends and wondering where your last paycheck went.

Just an opinion

Banned

Also keep in mind that there will be people who will still play 5th for at least a month or two after 6th launches. This amount of time will allow them to get used to the rules and quite hating them. A lot will depend on your group's ability to get, absorb, and play the new rules.

Of course, there will be others who will insist on not changing from 5th because 6th "Destroyed the Game!11!1!1 *Rage Quit*", just like there are those who still want to prefer 2nd, 3rd, and 4th now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive777 View Post
    Hi all:

I got into 40k just after the winter holidays and had been working on a good-sized force of Tyranids. I got my army painted and assembled, but hit some delays, and haven't been able to get time free to really start with the gaming side.

Now, with only what seems to be a short window left before 6th edition comes out, I am getting some free time. I am debating on whether or not I should even deal with 5th edition at this point, or if I should wait to pick up 6th edition and start playing with the updated rules set.

My thought on waiting for the updated rules set was that all indications are that there will be some radical revisions to the system. I'd hate to get started with one set of rules and then have to re-learn what I know when the new version comes out. On the other hand, it could be argued that there's no point in letting the models sit around, when they want to come out and play.

Just curious as to what everyone else thinks...

id say waiting limits your exp. yes 6th is dif then 5th but exp in 5th bleeds over into new editions.

basically if you were "good at 5th" you are good at 6th most likely (baring you didnt just copy ppl) and your exp lets you "get ahead" of others. if you have NEVER played then your gimping your creating juices as a trend setter

the upside of "waiting" is if your goals an OP list then the rules will give you the educated opinion that no one now has. this is if money is an issue and winning is the goal that is....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast