BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah, I was thinking about that last night. Tau don't have psychic abilities and the presence of Ethereals kinda means no Chaotic mental manipulation. I'm not even sure it would happen if there wasn't an Ethereal around. The Tau would certainly change their thinking (like Farsight) but I'm still not sure Chaos could get a word in.

If they ended up on a Daemon world or were exposed to the Warp itself somehow, then perhaps they could be affected physically, and THEN perhaps mentally as well.

I know I'm deviating from my original post a little now, but it's my post and I can.

So ner.

All of this has made me wonder about the affects of Chaos and the other Xenos races in the galaxy. Which ones could be affected, how would it affect them and which Powers could affect them?

Orks: We know from the older fluff (especially Freebooterz, of which I haz a kopy) that they are reasonably susceptible, though aside from some mutation, you probably wouldn't be able to tell much.

Eldar/Dark Eldar: I know Slaanesh has the monopoly on them, but could the other Powers 'steal' one or two from time to time?

Tau: Tricky one. See above posts.

Tyranids: I figure Slaanesh has no hope here, but the other three big guys might get a shoe in.

Necrons: ++Query: Chaos? End Query++ Clearly, not going to happen.

I know there are various other minor races dotted around and books like Xenology have expanded upon their backgrounds but, even after 20 long years in the hobby, I confess to not knowing enough about them to make a call on them

Chapter-Master

I don't think Khorne would have any effect on nids either. Slannesh and Khorne both play to emotions/sensations which the nids don't have. Their sole purpose is already to rend all living matter in the galaxy into a nutrious goo, so I'm not sure what difference making them angry about it will have. Tzeentch and Nurgle could have a physical effect on them, but I don't think any Chaos power could really control them as such, since all the Choas derives it's power form emotions and nids don't have any. Even genestealers outside of synapse control have little in the way of sentience, never mind emotion.

Ditto for Necrons, if I understand the retconed fluff properly they don't possess much in the way emotions or physcial bodies so Chaos won't have much effect.

Orks are pretty much as you say. They generate massive psychic energy but like the Shadow in the Warp it seems to be too powerful for Chaos to control. They manipulate Orks all the time (at least according to THQ!) but tyring to actually control them is like trying to control the weather. And emotions wise, Orks only do agression and happiness and the two are based off each other, so not much room to exploit there.

It seems that races most at risk to Choas are the rational, independently minded ones like Eldar and Humans, whis is why.... SPOLIERZ....

the Alpha legion sign up to the Horus Heresy. Wipe out humanity and Chaos goes with it, saving the rest of the galaxy.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Librarian

Its in the previous Daemon Hunters Codexs pg .53 . if that will help

Veteran-Sergeant

Well played Pendragon There are some really interesting ideas there!

*cough* Genestealer cult armies could turn to Chaos *cough*

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDesigner View Post
    I remember talking to a staff member in GW Guildford one time and he mentioned a short story, or even just a small section in a black library novel somewhere about a Tyranid fleet that had gone into the warp and come out all gribbly, like gribblier. But he didn't know which book and no one else I've asked can think where it's from. If you know where it's from and can tell us without too many spoilers, it would definitely be relevant to this conversation!

Just because what you mentioned rang a chord with me:
    From the Codex Daemonhunters, section Daemonhunters Narratives. Page 53

Daemonhunters would fight Tyranids because:
    • A hive ship was sucked into the Warp and what emerged was corrupted beyond all reason. When the few surviving monsters make planetfall, the Daemonhunters are waiting to destroy them all.
    • A Tyranid digestion pool has formed around an ancient Warp gate and the departing souls flaring into the ether have reactivated the portal. Daemonic intrusion will soon be inevitable.
    • A corrupted Hive Tyranid has been infected with Nurgle's Rot and is spreading the plague ahead of its swarms. The Daemonhunters must find it and kill it to give the Imperial forces a chance of resisting.
    • The Daemonhunters know of a powerful, buried Chaos icon on a populated planet that the Tyranids have invaded. The scale of the death will awaken the Daemon chained within the icon and the Daemonhunters must halt the Tyranids before they reach it.

So we have at least *one* incident in the fluff that establishes Tyranids can be infected and proliferate one of Nurgle's maladies. Now that said, I suspect that most daemon/tyranid interactions occur at the edges of a hive fleet, where the shadow in the warp is weak/incomplete rather than in the middle where there are no souls to attract them, and the warp is being filled with tyranid chittering. My suspicion is that if the infected tyranids were absorbed into the bulk of the hive fleet, the hive-mind would eliminate the contagion, else we would already have seen a tyranid pandemic.

That said, perhaps the hive fleet excludes infected organisms, in the same way it does not re-absorb the ymgarl genestealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlatrex View Post
    Just because what you mentioned rang a chord with me:
    From the Codex Daemonhunters, section Daemonhunters Narratives. Page 53

Daemonhunters would fight Tyranids because:
    • A hive ship was sucked into the Warp and what emerged was corrupted beyond all reason. When the few surviving monsters make planetfall, the Daemonhunters are waiting to destroy them all.
    • A Tyranid digestion pool has formed around an ancient Warp gate and the departing souls flaring into the ether have reactivated the portal. Daemonic intrusion will soon be inevitable.
    • A corrupted Hive Tyranid has been infected with Nurgle's Rot and is spreading the plague ahead of its swarms. The Daemonhunters must find it and kill it to give the Imperial forces a chance of resisting.
    • The Daemonhunters know of a powerful, buried Chaos icon on a populated planet that the Tyranids have invaded. The scale of the death will awaken the Daemon chained within the icon and the Daemonhunters must halt the Tyranids before they reach it.

So we have at least *one* incident in the fluff that establishes Tyranids can be infected and proliferate one of Nurgle's maladies. Now that said, I suspect that most daemon/tyranid interactions occur at the edges of a hive fleet, where the shadow in the warp is weak/incomplete rather than in the middle where there are no souls to attract them, and the warp is being filled with tyranid chittering. My suspicion is that if the infected tyranids were absorbed into the bulk of the hive fleet, the hive-mind would eliminate the contagion, else we would already have seen a tyranid pandemic.

That said, perhaps the hive fleet excludes infected organisms, in the same way it does not re-absorb the ymgarl genestealers.
    Thank you for that, that's really gone some way to helping me find this lost bit of fluff! I really hope there is a story out there (like Firehazard I had heard it's in a Space Wolves novel but couldn't be told which), but for the moment that's a nice little tidbit!

Quote Originally Posted by FireHazard View Post
    Necrons: ++Query: Chaos? End Query++ Clearly, not going to happen.
    Khorne Necrons: War Machines.
    Tzeentch Necrons: Change Machines.
    Nurgle Necrons: Dialysis Machines?
    Slaanesh Necrons: Love Machines. I'm just a love machine

Hey, why is no one talking about Chaos Squats I wonder?
    "Paws off ma cheeze!"

Chaplain

Yeah, I'd love to see that type of interaction in a novel as well. Here's hoping someone out there knows every Space Wolf story. ;-)

I must admit, I almost disturbed my fellow healthcare workers here at the office with my laugh when I read "Dialysis Machines".

=D

Quote Originally Posted by Dlatrex View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to see that type of interaction in a novel as well. Here's hoping someone out there knows every Space Wolf story. ;-)

I must admit, I almost disturbed my fellow healthcare workers here at the office with my laugh when I read "Dialysis Machines".

=D

Yeah sorry about that, I didn't know what else to put for Nurgle... I was taking the piss...
    "Paws off ma cheeze!"

Brother-Sergeant

Hmm, as a Tyranid player I have a strong leaning towards both the evolutionary and psychic resistance of Tyranids, but I think it would very much an arms race between the different diseases of Nurgle and the Evolutionary change rate of the 'Nids.

In the Tyranid codex, there is a hive fleet that attacks tau space and the different attack waves constantly evolve to match the technological 'evolution' the tau use to counter the Tyranids.

Meanwhile, Papa Nurgle is always making new brews of diseases, poxes and plagues to use on the galaxy. I imagine the physical damage Nurgle's diseases would inflict on the Tyranids would be very taxing for the swarm, but the next wave of tyranids would have evolved to stave off the (physical) effects of that certain disease. In turn, Nurgle and/or his followers would throw a new disease into the equation. Rinse and repeat, may the best gribbly-monsters win...

As for the psychic affects of the disease, I do believe the Shadow of the Warp would make it much harder for daemons (and their diseases) to exist and/or be effective on the mortal plane, however, if you get Tyranids in some kind of Warp Rift, Warp area, daemon world etc. etc. where the powers of the Warp have more sway, the rules of the normal galaxy don't apply.
    Tyranids are very opposite to chaos in that they are not random, conceived from raw emotion, but cold, calculating killers down to the cellular level. In a domain completely full of randomness and chaos, I don't think even the evolutionary power of the Tyranids would be able to keep up.

That said, with the new fluff in the Tyranid Codex they don't actually use warp travel for moving across the galaxy, but a Tyranid bioship called a Narvhal. It uses its advanced sensory tendrils to detect gravity signatures from planets even at extremely long distances across space. Somehow the Narvhal can use the planet's own gravity to kind of create a 'gravity tunnel' that allows the hive fleets to move at faster-than-light speeds. The side-effect is that they have to stop in open space outside the planet system (slowing their arrival by long margins, even years) but this effectively removes much of the dangers of warp travel. A bit of a tangent there I know, but this would mean there would be significantly less opportunities for Tyranids to fight with Daemons. For those interested, the Narvhal stuff is on page 19 of the current Tyranid Codex.

TL;DR folks: in conclusion, Tyranids could evolve fast enough to cope and if they were in realspace, they will pretty much always be able to handle it. Put them in an area heavily influenced by the warp though and the game is no longer played by the Tyranids' rules.

EDIT: also along with the other psychic defenses, the Tyranid's lack of emotion would make it hard to influence them in any significant way (at least spiritually).
    Last edited by papa smurf; 08-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast