BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default No BRB in the mail

OK, before I begin my rant I'd like to say that I realize that I'm talking about a game that doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things. But I also think that GW needs to understand that they need to get their act together even though they're just an entertainment company.

I ordered the Gamer's Edition about a half hour preorders went up and I'm in Detroit, not Alaska or some far-off state. It is Saturday night and I don't have my book and yes, I'm really annoyed. I'll have to wait until next weekend to really dig into the book now. Again, I realize that I'm whining about getting a game book late and not about fresh water and food or some other important thing people go without; it's the fact that there's no reason for my book to be late.

All of this secrecy crap has to end with GW; it's absurd. GW has to learn that when you operate internationally with such a large fanbase, leaks are going to happen. The book has to go to the printers at some point before launch and some things will leak. Ask Apple or any other big company that attempts to keep secrets until the last moment; it's just impossible.

GW needs to ship early enough to GUARANTEE delivery on launch day with the understanding that some people might get it a couple of days early. Here's the risk/reward of their options:

1. Good: Ship on time and all customers are happy and some are THRILLED to get it early. Bad: some rules will hit the internet a couple of days early.

2. Bad: Ship late and most customers are happy but some are PISSED they got it late. Bad: some rules will hit the internet a couple of days early anyway because total secrecy is impossible.

So here I am being punished because I preordered the Gamers Edition from GW. I could have waited and got the book at a discount at a number of internet and local stores but I screwed up and forgot how dumb this company can be. Preorders are good for companies and most give bonuses; you often get the item a day/week early, sometimes you get a hat or whatever... I can't think of another company that makes preordering tangibly worse for loyal customers.

I'm not going to ditch GW for this or anything, I'm a rational person. But I'm not going to lie and say that I'm really annoyed on the Saturday night I had cleared to spend with my hobby...

Anyone else out there still waiting for their book?

Chaplain

I ordered a Gamer's Ed. probably around the same time you did, from Canada, and haven't gotten mine yet either.

However, I seem to recall the little mouseover 'release date' info on the website saying that preorders placed ahead of a certain date would be shipped on 29 June, with any after that date shipped the Monday following.

In short, I don't think they're actually guaranteeing you product on launch day, unless you preorder via a company store. In all honesty, I preordered knowing full well I probably wouldn't have the book in hand yesterday. When I got the email notifying me it had shipped Tuesday, I became slightly hopeful that it might come through the post in time... but it's no big deal that I'm now going to have to wait til Tuesday (Monday is a stat holiday in Canada).

And at the end of it all, I do end up with a bunch of exclusives (having ordered the Gamer's Ed.) that were sold out within three days of posting, and I get the convenience of not having to leave my home to collect my parcel. Personally, I consider those valid reasons for preordering, even if it means having to wait a little longer. I don't think GW's handling of preorders is the best ever, but it certainly isn't something I'm going to complain vociferously about.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Advance ordering for home delivery guarantees it will ship the monday following launch, if you want it on launch you need it delivered to a local GW store. It's right there in the advance order information.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Banned

If you choose to ship to another address and place your order by the Wednesday before release we will ship this on the Friday (i.e. the day before release).
    That's from the GW Australia site, and mine hasn't shipped...

Brother-Sergeant

Yeah, I guess all that stuff is written on the website but I just figured they were covering their butts in case their was a problem. I was wrong when I thought it was just a dumb mistake; I guess it's a REALLY dumb policy.

Librarian

Fedex is tellin me i'll get mine on July 3rd. As long as i get it, and it's in good shape(aka everything is there and not torn up) I'm happy.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Advance ordering for home delivery guarantees it will ship the monday following launch, if you want it on launch you need it delivered to a local GW store. It's right there in the advance order information.
    Not true about the shipping. I ordered in store last Saturday in order not to miss the Collectors Edition. The guys there told me I'd definitely have it Saturday, and more than likely the day before as I was ordering it to go to my home address (I'm moving house so couldn't go to a store) and it was guaranteed for launch. Admittedly I didn't see the T&C on the site as they did it for me

It was shipped on Wednesday, four days after order and three prior to launch. I live in London; even second class mail should reach somewhere else in the UK within 3 or 4 days!

I almost don't mind it hasn't come, I'm not mad at GW for it being delayed etc. It's the fact I was promised it for yesterday so I didn't go and spend the day at the FLGS with my friends as I was waiting for the postman.

So, to the OP, I feel your pain and I too am not happy!
    www.rebelsgrotto.blogspot.com - Go visit, you know you want to!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Actually I'm fairly sure the UK website said it would be with you by Saturday if you placed the order before Wednesday, if you ordered them after then they are shipped out on Monday.
    And no, I haven't got mine so going to have to wait till tomorrow and yes I, like the OP, am pissed about it.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by RebelGrot View Post
    It was shipped on Wednesday, four days after order and three prior to launch. I live in London; even second class mail should reach somewhere else in the UK within 3 or 4 days!
    Not forgetting the GW website says that for the UK standard shipping should take 2-3 working days.. grr

First-Captain

I really thought it would turn up on Saturday. It did not. I'm gutted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast