BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Slind View Post
    Finally - they have just ensured that Paladins can keep the wound-allocation scheme going, by making them all caracters.
    They won't be though, As pg 63 says;

They have their own profile, but do not have a separate entry.
    If they are in a single unit, the Pladins will all share the same profile. Other than when an independent character joining the unit, Paladins won't have any characters other than an Apothecary. So at most he will be more survavible, but you will simply result in killing off the next nearest Paladin in the unit. The old system meant you could would all of them before killing any potentially. Now in any given shooting phase you are much more likely to kill one or two off, and if not the GK player has to cycle them to the back of the unit, reducing the overall movement of the squad, making them less effective (especially if you just wounded the Incnerator!)

Having played a game, this system did seem a bit alein and complicated at first, but we were quickly working out casualties much quicker than we had been under the old system; well compared to when you had units with at least 3 different wound allocation groups before anyway. Less is about the same.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

All Paladins are characters. Go and read up on the unit entries in the appendix section. That's where it defines who's a character and who isn't, and how many hull points everything has for that matter.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    All Paladins are characters. Go and read up on the unit entries in the appendix section. That's where it defines who's a character and who isn't, and how many hull points everything has for that matter.
    Seems to go against the wording of rules on the Characters page, but you are right it is in there in the Apendix. Same is true for Nobs for the Orks. At least in that case you could have assumed it was because Nobs lead most of the other Mobs.

So wound allocation can be abused to spread them over everyone and they don't need to be in different wargear groups like before but there is only a 50% chance you will be able to choose.

50% is conisderably better than 100%.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Absolutely. I'd deffinitely expect shear weight of firepower to be more effective at whittling away the unit now. They are still going to be monstrously effective, but not as bad as they were before. Imagining a unit of paladin's shoving each other out the way and constantly shouting 'Look out, Sir' makes me chuckle. I may have to model a unit with top hats and monocles...

I like that my Farseer could potentially have like 20 wounds.
    Go Guardian meat shields!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Certainly, especially as an Independent character he'd be getting a 2+ Look Out, Sir. We really need to find a quicker way of writing that? LOS is taken, so... LOSir?

That said, before now, you have been able to put him at the front of the unit and had a fairly decent chance of watching the unit die behind him (unless someone could get a LOT of shots at that unit). Now, I'd be much happier with characters and ICs sitting in the second rank, along with Special weapons (ready to jump to the front only when they need to fire.)

Yeah, that was my thought, chuck anything useful in the 2nd rank.
    That's a point, normal weapon platforms have no wounds, you could use them as cover!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Veteran-Sergeant

So, I asked this question after my first game in 6th.

I have played 3 more games since then, using it the (i think) proper way as described by lord victor and it worked out very well. All character units can bog it down but no worse than wound allocation on nob squads and the like.

Also, IC's can't be singled out by dreadnaughts and powerfists in h2h which is much better imo. My ork warboss gets to krump dreads and wraithlords! (unless the wraithlord issues a challenge >.>)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12