BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Necron Air Superiority

So, at 2k, I'm playing:

4 night scythes, 2 doom scythes, 2 command barges
    3 night scythes have 6 gaussmortals, cryptek w voltaic staff
    1 has Dlord w 7 Dmarks
    barges have mindshackles and 2+ saves(without barge)
    2 doom scythes
    got a grot squad of 8 warriors w tremor/crucible cryptek for obj holding

so far, w variations, i'm 4-0 both eldar, nids, GK. good players, bad dice.

so- what is really going to hurt this list?

i usually try to go 2nd and not seize. try to stay in my fliers
    if i go first, my fliers will probly, just come in, and leave airspace to come back later, to shoot your fliers/hydras first.

the night scythe is a ded. transp. can ignore shaken/stunned, S7,4 TL guns 11 all around- cheap
    deploys troops no matter how far, never hovers. my guys dont take s10 hits, we just go back in reserve. its the best flier out there.

the death ray is no joke, i blew up 3 vehicles with one shot, autohits, even fliers, s10 ap1 3d6 line - moderate price.

its almost like- forget the assault units. i used to spam wraiths, now i dont bother.
    til they release flakks, this kind of list is golden.

charging chariots are great! ap1 warscythe is better than a chainfist

there's almost nothing to shoot at.

any suggestions to improve it, or tactics to crush it?

thanks

Librarian

Off the top of my head I'm thinking 3 Warpheads, with good rolls your planes and such are getting tagged by 36 inch Str 10 AP2 melta shots, and with Horde orks i can play board denial early on although this would require some luck with terrain and run rolls.

Take an army with a bastion, add a quad gun and someone with bs 5 to shoot with it.
    Shoot down the Doom scythes first.

The quad gun used with the Skyfire and Interceptor rules used with BS 5 at strength 7 will allmost guarantee one dead flyer every turn.
    Take an Eldar Dark Reaper Exarch with his special rule to negate cover saves (on p. 96 BRB is stated that all special rules of the gun and the firing model are used), and you will loose one flyer each round (4 twin- linked shots BS 5, strength 7 negating cover saves).

The rest of the army is more or less irrelevant.

Although the Quad Gun is a Gun Emplacement, which has T7 and 2 wounds. Guess you can target this separately, so all those Flyers will be bombarding it.

Still, plenty of points left for Eldrad to cast Prescience and Perfect Timing on war walkers with Scatter Lasers (24 Str 6, rerolling misses = about 7 hits, 2 glances vs AV11, no cover saves, distance might be a problem), and cast Perfect timing on a 2nd unit whilst Farseer casts Prescience on it.

I make that 2, possibly 3 Flyers down per turn with a threat range of @28". Or go with Eldar Missile launchers = 2-3 glances at range @42".

Actually it is not separate. You add it to the bastion. And on P. 96 are rules for emplaced weapons in a building (picture ond P. 97).

Ah yes. And Perfect Timing can only affect Eldrad's own unit - drat. Back to the mathhammer.

Orks would be the ideal enemy for this one. Orks dont care about the snap shot protection that flyers enjoy. Their entire playstyle has been designed to counter low BS. As such sheer weight of fire will cause problems for the Scythes.

Even basic Ork infantry can put out a hefty amount of shots and at AV10 those Scythes risk being hulled by any standard infantry gun with a decent rate of fire. Lootas however may very well be the single best non-skyfire Anti Aircraft unit in the game. With the number of shots they ger they WILL get hits and at S7 theyre gonna punch through that armor.

And its not even tailoring a list cos lets face it, Lootas arent exactly a rare sight

IG see your air superiority, and raise you the best anti air currently in any army. A hydra, vendetta or quad gun emplacement will likely kill a flyer every turn each. I anticipate some furious dogfighting, and a lot of AA fire going on between these two army.

First-Captain

First thing, I would combat it by moving close to the fighters, with only a single 90 degree turn before a straight line 18" move and front arc fire ray, i'm likely to be missed.
    For the Greater good.

Librarian

am i right in reading the FAQ that seems to imply that the Night Scythe does not need to Hover for it's passengers to disembark?!?!?!
    ALShrive; found somewhere between fact and breakfast.
    Horseman of the Derailment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast