BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Despite the fact that their newest digital offering, the eCodexes, are fantastic and have already been updated per 6E.

blahblahblah
    I don't have time to play the quote bomb game - but its in GW's best interest to let them keep going because its an excellent tool to accompany their own products. Whatever they do will likely cost them more, and not be as good and will alienate users like myself.

I'm not going to rehash the reason why you're pretty fundamentally wrong about the iPad. You've drank the kool-aid and there's no convincing an indoctrinated follower. All I'll say, is that the Appstore might generate more revenue than the Play Store - but Amazon dwarfs them both as far as digital content revenue. It would have been even more beneficial to release their content on amazon where everyone - regardless of platform - could access it.

Chapter-Master

I realize none of the facts regarding App Sales market share will convince an Apple hater to buy an iPad, but that's really your loss. The iPad provides the premier tablet experience for a user in an incredibly durable and attractive package, and that's why they outsell every Android tablet by a considerable margin.
    That's false logic, I could easily state that apple market share is merely because the type of person that buys an apple anything has to be known to have the latest everything so buys the imac, ipad 3.2 and iphone 6xs, whereas the average user thinks whats the point of a tablet? I've got a phone and pc...
    You can prove anything with statistics...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

A UK judge threw out Apple's patent dispute with Samsung because Samsung's tablet was, and I quote, "not as cool" as the iPad. Not that I have an iPad but it amused me: [url]http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2012/07/09/samsung-tab-not-as-cool-as-ipad-says-judge/[/url]

More on topic, the logical next step to GW's new digital initiative would be an Army Builder app that integrates with the user's purchased codices to build said armies. I don't know what legal permutations could exist here for the actual Army Builder guys, but their program itself isn't illegal. As long as they aren't providing or distributing the data files themselves they should be fine, technically. The only trick is that then GW goes and finds the data file guys and shuts them down, which is probably within their right to do. This largely would result in it being a bit more time consuming and inconvenient, which would support the idea that GW is possibly coming out with their own.

We've been over this multiple times in various other threads, but GW isn't the only company to release the product first on iOS because of the relative ease in which it can be programmed for and the security it provides. Couple that with the fact that the AppStore generates 6x the Revenue that Android does, it's clear why an initial iOS introduction makes sense.
    From what I understand it isn't any easier to program for an iOS device, probably less easy than for an Android. The one thing it does have going for it is that there is only one device so you don't have to worry about how it works on different devices. The security is about the same overall and the appstore sells more because people have more Apple devices, which is the real reason most companies release the iOS apps first.

I realize none of the facts regarding App Sales market share will convince an Apple hater to buy an iPad, but that's really your loss. The iPad provides the premier tablet experience for a user in an incredibly durable and attractive package, and that's why they outsell every Android tablet by a considerable margin.
    Ipads are no better than many Android tablets but that's the impression everyone has because Apple is great at marketing and promotions. I'm not a fan of Apple but I have an ipad because 'free' is hard to beat. I don't want to turn this into an ipad vs android war because they are both good platforms, while GW would definitely release a AB style app for Apple because so many people use their products I would hope they also release an Android version but that's up to the guys at GW.

Chapter-Master

Also if we look it by operating system like we do with the pc/laptop market, rather than by manufacturer, the android market jumped 10% in 12months to 40% and the iOS market share fell 10% to 60% if the trend continues....

But anyone can play with statistics

(IMO all tablets are merely a novelty)

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    (IMO all tablets are merely a novelty)
    Yeah, for now they seem to lean in that direction, they could become more like easily portable laptops with some nice extra features at some point but not as long as their locked up as tight as an ipad is...

Occuli Imperator

Certainly it is strange that the Andriod Apple split has dipped in favour of Andoid, the Apple App Store has the higher number of users and developers. However, maybe this because apple users are more used to paying for thier content?
    I would suggest that the ipad would outsell its competitors, but not necessarily because it is the better device, certainly when looking at the hardware specs it is not outstanding, and in many cases there are competitors with better specs. IIRC the memory cannot be expanded, it is not universally 4G compatable
    I would suggest that the reason they get it is because they are more aware of it and it has "brand value".
    There are also issues with brand loyalty and intercomptability, if my pc is a mac, my phone is a mac so I want my phone to be a mac also so they can talk to each other nicely, whereas you can't get a complete hardware solution at the moment, with the windows 'phone coming out and android ports it is become more possible.
    I would disagree with the security issues, both are software both stores contain apps which are bogus and contain malware

The biggest reason to release on itunes first, is that it has the highest number of paid transactions.

I hadn't even considered the kindle, which I think is the most superior e-reader format. Hmm.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Hmmm.....what I do know is that without Army Builder I would never have purchased a single Games Workshop product. When a local shop owner introduced me to AB and I was able to quickly experiment with how I could set up an army was when I took the plunge and started buying and assembling kits.

GW has made a lot of money off me thanks to AB.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
    That's true for me, as well. It IS unfortunate as we are as of now out of a product capable of crafting lists and they have released nothing to cover the loss of AB.

But assuming they put a product out that is capable of building lists, it will amount to the same thing. Only the ball will be in GW's court.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
    Hmmm.....what I do know is that without Army Builder I would never have purchased a single Games Workshop product. When a local shop owner introduced me to AB and I was able to quickly experiment with how I could set up an army was when I took the plunge and started buying and assembling kits.

I'm with you there.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast