BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think about swapping power weapons between tourney rounds

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • powergaming BS

55 98.21%
  • but space marines come equipped

1 1.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Since the FAQs ive seen change power swords to power weapons(havent gotten to them all yet) I expect every new codex to be the same. We will see though.

Ill be mulling it over this weekend but it seems very dependant to be much of an advantage. I think most WAAC gamers wouldnt bother with it.
    Last edited by Death 0F Angels; 07-13-2012 at 04:30 PM.

I wouldnt do this simply for the fact that my opponent may feel cheated and i dont go to tournament for bad play experiences. But would it change things if it was ok but i had to ask my opponent first? Much like using counts as models. Some people obviously hate the idea. but if my opponent is like me and likes the idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Death 0F Angels View Post
    Since the FAQs ive seen change power swords to power weapons(havent gotten to them all yet) I expect every new codex to be the same. We will see though.

Ill be mulling it over this weekend but it seems very dependant to be much of an advantage. I think most WAAC gamers wouldnt bother with it.
    That change was more to do with some 'dexes using "Power Sword" and "Power Weapon" interchangeably - for instance, in the vanilla space marine 'dex the master of the forge is listed as having a power sword, but the models are only equipped with axes.

its also in the sisters of battle and blood angel FAQ. The other dexes are power weapon specific or have had changes in FAQ from what i can see. Looks like they are streamlining it to me. I have been fooled before though.

Quote Originally Posted by Death 0F Angels View Post
    Just wondered peoples opinion about pinning your power weapons and swapping them between rounds. Unless im missing something your codex nor your rulebook (unless otherwise noted) specifies. Should your list have to?
    I know I'm a Johnny come lately, but I too see it as being gamesmanship rather than sportsmanship thus arguably tantamount to cheating. I don't like modelling for advantage in general, and swapping to suit is just a poor show.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I know I'm a Johnny come lately, but I too see it as being gamesmanship rather than sportsmanship thus arguably tantamount to cheating. I don't like modelling for advantage in general, and swapping to suit is just a poor show.
    Though I fully agree, that it is both a violation of sportsmanship and rules, I do have to bring up the point that the OP tried to bring up earlier. What advantage could be gained with what unit? The best I can think of so far are Chaos Termies, but with that being said Chaos isn't top tier and I don't think switching weapons on Chaos Termies will turn the tide of the game.

Just some food for though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
    Incorrect. As you stated it isn't just heavy weapon (which was an argument I alluded to) it's a heavy bolter or missile launcher. When the profile for the model is written you don't put power weapon when it clearly has a sword equipped, you put power sword. There for you ARE in fact changing your list if you change the weapon.
    Codex says power WEAPON. That means Sword/Axe/Maul or whatever. That means I can model them as one one week, and come back next week with another and have the same list (by the rules as written). the only difference is that we now have a BRB rule that is WYSIWYG dependant which to me was a bad Idea on GW's part. They should have started implementing these rules on a per codex basis with separate line entries for swords/axes or whatever, but they didn't so we're stuck with a WYSIWYG linked nightmare of a rule.

Now you can have tournaments make a rule that you must use the same models during each game, but unless they do that you can swap out your weapons and still have the same lists.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
    Though I fully agree, that it is both a violation of sportsmanship and rules, I do have to bring up the point that the OP tried to bring up earlier. What advantage could be gained with what unit? The best I can think of so far are Chaos Termies, but with that being said Chaos isn't top tier and I don't think switching weapons on Chaos Termies will turn the tide of the game.

Just some food for though.
    There are many models outside of Chaos that have power weapons that aren't swords.

But Terminators in general are a good target for some gamieness. Most are equipped with Unwieldy Fists or Hammers. If you know you are facing a Death/Logan/Draigo Wing you can switch out the sword/staff models for axes so you can cut their armor. Whereas, if you know you're facing Guard, Tau, or either Eldar, falling back on Mauls and Lances makes sense.

But if I saw someone try to pull that sort of crap in a tournament, I might slap him upside the head with either a book or a Chaos Dreadsock, especially if he kept acting like the descendant of a donkey and a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    There are many models outside of Chaos that have power weapons that aren't swords.

But Terminators in general are a good target for some gamieness. Most are equipped with Unwieldy Fists or Hammers. If you know you are facing a Death/Logan/Draigo Wing you can switch out the sword/staff models for axes so you can cut their armor. Whereas, if you know you're facing Guard, Tau, or either Eldar, falling back on Mauls and Lances makes sense.

But if I saw someone try to pull that sort of crap in a tournament, I might slap him upside the head with either a book or a Chaos Dreadsock, especially if he kept acting like the descendant of a donkey and a horse.
    Then May I suggest you request that your TO rule that you must use the same models for the entire tournament. It's really a simple solution.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post

Could you name some? I am not being snark but I really do want to know. I have DA(DW), CSM, Eldar, DE, Necrons, Orks, Nids and SM. So with those armies I have found switching power weapons to be of no advantage with any unit there. For the armies I don't have listed I would love to hear what units could do this to even have an advantage.

After thinking about it, I really don't see people doing this to give much of an advantage. With gun lines being much better than they used to be, CC units aren't as terrifying (though unquestionably still good) as they used to be. The transport nerf also helped make it more tactical for CC armies to win rather than auto-win like it was in 5th.

I would really like to hear what units/models that people honestly think someone would want to switch out for an advantage. I am truthfully at a loss of seeing this as an advantage of any way of form.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast