BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Eventually just keep the Warriors in reserve....

Initiate

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh staggering response! Let me break it down:
    Lord Anubis: I am playing them against anything that turns up, which is usually Guard, Marines (of either type) or Dark Eldar. Usually I sit anything with range >24" in my deployment area shooting at vehicles or CC units, and have warriors just moving towards objectives making good use of cover. Frequently I equip my lord/s with res orbs, but since they are usually running around with Pariahs it doesn't get much use.
    Green Git: Very interesting idea, I will have to try that at some point.
    Chumbalaya: More destroyers would be a plus I agree.
    xomntec and Erazoender: Yes this is the most common tactic against 'crons, but holding them in reserve with 3 monoliths could help keep them off table long enough to make a difference.

Thank you all for your thoughts

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Git View Post
    You want to phase me out? You have to come through multiple Monoliths and a Star God to do it. Did *everyone* miss The Deceiver in that list?
    It's an interesting idea, but I'm guessing that certain armies would make your day really bad. Chaos Daemons, Deathwing - anything that can deepstrike and target the warriors. Space wolf scouts that come in from your table edge, or long-range shooty armies that have enough shots to wipe out a warrior squad. How do you deal with things like that?

I prefer a more balanced Necron list without the big achilles heel. Destroyer wing with the Deceiver and warriors is a tough nut to crack for most armies. It's the most competitive list I've seen, and it's what our local Necron player brings to tournaments (he usually places in the top half, and got 3rd at the last one).

Chaplain

Chumbalaya is correct on what he has said.

Deceiver might be a Star God and all scary, but it excels as assault - it is slow and cannot get into assault for several turns. See them snipers? They will take out the golden one. Wraithcannons? Bye bye Deceiver. Lascannon spam spies that golden figure.

Monoliths are hard to get rid off, lucky rolls are needed here but roll a 6 on a melta weapon you still get the plus 1 on the vehicle damage charge, but no 2D6. But, they are slow and take several turns to get into range and are massive point sinks, take three and they're costing 705 points! Only bonus for them is WBB re-rolls and to teleport your 'Crons.

The old favourite of Necron Lord with a res orb and a veil with a shooty unit, most take Immortals, but they have the range too get into fire and are T5 - will you use that res orb much? Possibly not. Though take a unit of Warriors with the Lord and you get more shots as rapid fire, remember less is more and you'll get use out of that res orb more which you're paying points for.

You could take a Necron Lord with warscythe, phase shifter and some other goodies for assault purpose, but the Lord isn't really assaulty and doesn't have a very good assault supporting unit, besides Pariahs, which are on foot which is no good. Wraiths could be used, but expensive and are fragile.

Destroyer spam seems to work well. I'd take at least 2 maximum filled units and let it rip. I've started to look at Scarabs too. They are annoying little things which can tie up units, and throw on dis-fields and you can glance vehicles if your lucky - could do some damage by taking out vehicles.

Tomb Spyders are good combat blockers, perhaps throw in a Necron Lord with these - but still slow! I would try and get one for every troops unit and use it as a combat blocker. 55 points monstrous creature - yes please!

Heavy Destroyers maximum unit size and two units should do the trick, cost less than Monoliths have better range more mobility and chances of hitting stuff too.
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

Veteran-Sergeant

Play Guard. see problem solved
    Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. Armed Forces don't have that problem. R Regan

Chaplain

That is a good remedy lol.
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

one idea that worked for me was maxing out on necron warriors with a res orb lord in the middle and maybe a few destroyers so everything in the army can get back up no matter what and theres a lot of firepower in it

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mashurface View Post
    Any ideas?
    Sell them.

Out of the 20+ 40k players at my store who play at least once a month, three owned Necron armies.

Two stopped playing 40k altogether and the third sold his army on eBay and bought a surf board.

GW doesn't care about you.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Veteran-Sergeant

Or you could just shelf the army if you get sick of trying new tactics and stuff. The Necrons will get done sooner or later.

Abbess Sanctorum

Ignore BuFFo and his worthless post.

To properly use Necrons, you need to utilize everything at your disposal. You will want to have lots of heavy destroyers and Warriors, and you'll want to use your Monolith(s) to transport your warriors so that they can get up to rapid fire distance faster. You will want to use and abuse the WBB rules, and the resurrection orb. Don't underestimate Pariahs, either-- Warscythes are just evil, and Gauss Blasters are great assault guns.

It will be difficult to win with consistently, but it can be done.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast