BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Macragge PDF

First-Captain

Not sad....AWESOME!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by StraightSilver View Post
    Little bit chuffed, made the GW homepage today.

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=2800044[/url]
    Congratulations mate! it's a well deserved recognition!
    Blood Angels Army Project
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12017

Chaplain

MAN!!! your stuff is awesome!!!
    Read this www.scribd.com/doc/123508033/Warhammer-40-000-6th-Edition-Codex-Adeptus-Aribites Then fill this out www.surveymonkey.com/s/LCFWXNV thanks

Chaplain

Cheers everybody.

Well, a teeny tiny update today, just to prove that I am still painting.

This is the very, very early stages of the first Veteran Squad (powerfist sarge and 3 meltas).

These guys have literally had their fatigues base coated in, but this is the most time consuming process, the rest is pretty quick after that.

So far just Bleached Bone with one shading of Kommando Khaki. They will get further attention once all the armour is lined in and base coated.

The photos show that my figures don't start out all that neat and tidy.....

I have also completed this stage on another full squad of Vets (Harker and 3 grenade launchers), but didn't get photos of those guys.

The plan is to get all the armour done on this squad tonight, get it lined in and then start highlighting that and start on the flesh etc.

Chaplain

Well, another tiny update from me as I didn't get any painting done over the weekend.

I did manage to get all the armour lined in and base coated, and have started painting the flesh on those figures without gloves and helmets.

However I have struggled a bit with this and am not overly happy with the results so far.

This is primarily because I have used the same paint recipe for several years, and had got to know what I was doing with it. Unfortunately though GW have now withdrawn the colours I was using, and I didn't get a chance to replace those colours.

I have found some very close matches in the Coat D'Arms range, but for some reason I just can't seem to match earlier efforts, and the 2 figures I have worked on so far have now been repainted twice, and I think another repaint would start to obscure their detail.

So these are some very WIP pics, so far the only thing I am happy with is the cigarette, which turned out how I imagined it. Remember though kids, smoking is bad for you!

Last edited by StraightSilver; 07-18-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Chaplain

I am planning to tone down some of the skin tones by shading down some areas, but may have to leave them for now until I find a recipe that works.

Chaplain

How do you get so much detail? what brushes are you using?
    Read this www.scribd.com/doc/123508033/Warhammer-40-000-6th-Edition-Codex-Adeptus-Aribites Then fill this out www.surveymonkey.com/s/LCFWXNV thanks

Chaplain

I use Rotmarder-Kolinsky sable brushes from EM-4 Miniatures.

They take a bit of getting used to as they have triangular shaped brush handles, but I have found this gives better brush control as you don't need to grip them so tightly.

I use a number 1 for most stuff as it has a great paint reservoir, but I also use a 2/0 for detail work, and very occasionally 5/0 for very fine detail, although the smaller the brush the less paint flow you get as it has such a tiny reservoir.

The biggest trick is to really thin your paints and only have enough on the brush for what you need, if you overload it you lose control.

I also mix a tiny bit of vallejo matt varnish into washes and glazes, or when I am blending as it improves the flow of the paint, and makes washes sit better in the recesses as it adds weight to the paint.

Plus lots of practice, quite a lot of my finished models have had bits repainted at least once where I've made mistakes.

The other advantage of keeping your paints well thinned is you can correct mistakes by removing them with a clean brush and water.

Ok so I have done a bit more work. It may not look like it from the photos as my lighting indoors is a bit rubbish but I have toned down the sergeants face by giving it a glaze of dwarf flesh and them re-highlighted. I am much happier with it now as the skin tone looks more natural in real life.

I have also almost finished another vet using this method and so far it's looking ok.

Last edited by StraightSilver; 07-18-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Chaplain

Another tiny update:

I still have to paint the bandages on the first guy, and have had some issues with the guy with the respirator but that's more the FW sculpt than anything.

That's all the faces done on the guys without helmets, so I can now go back and start painting the armour and fatigues so hopefully should have this squad finished next week.

Battle-Brother

I love your models, especially the tones you got on the faces. Good stuff!

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast