BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WIP: Large-scale railway cannon for IG

Hey everyone, I'm a relatively new poster and I'd like to share my current major project: a railway cannon for the IG. We're at about 65% complete and I'm looking for ideas and suggestions. I know a lot of detail work needs to be done and we're on that, but little things would be nice. Pictures are here:

[url]http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af25/getbrominated/[/url]

Dimensions are 43" long, 16" across, barrel is approximately 32" long and has a 2" diameter at the muzzle. Rules will be forthcoming. Final specs are going be 6 Str Pts, 4 Voids, 14 Heavy Bolters, 3 Quad-Autocannons, 2 Icarus Lascannons, 1 Twin Linked Lascannon (rear facing) and 1 Battle Cannon turret.

You're gonna need the mother of all crane's on the back of that puppy somewhere.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Chapter-Master

Thumbs up Awsome

That is magnificent I Love rail guns

P.s. I dont love un-railguns

Librarian

First time I've seen any type of railway carriage gun WIP, but looks great so far, wheels look a bit small though.
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Chapter-Master

Yes a crane will be needed to load the shells or possibly a trio of sentinel powerlifters.

Now - take the calibre of the barrel. The shell needs to be at least twice as long. The shell needs a case at least as long as the shell but if you look at pictures of what the hun shelled Britain with I'd say bigger. Now, your excellent painting aside, you need to ensure the barrel has a breech on the end at least long enoug to accomodate the cased shell ready for firing - I can't spot the breech so you may have done but one of my pet hates is 40k weapons where the proportion is out - the leman russ gun is prime example.

But does look awesome as well.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Banned

Looking good.

I could see some interesting games when your IG forces has to defend that gun. It is huge and perfecting for fighing around and on top of. I'm pretty jealous.

Scout

Oh please,oh please tell me the Apoc rules your going to use for that thing! Same rules as the Deathstrike Missle perhaps? The WIP photos are awesome and I really can't wait to see the finished model. As far as the shells go, artillary anywhere near that size doesn't use self contained cartriges. The round is a seperate piece and is loaded first followed by massive amounts of powder in premeasured bags. But I do love the idea of an enormous pistol round swinging from a crane on the back of that thing and meybe a single spent casing stacked in the back corner of the platform. Hmmm...

Here is the experimental rules I'm playing around with:

Ozymandias Weapon System Pts: 1500

The Ozymandias Weapon System is a remnant from the Dark Age of Technology. Built for the defense of Vermillion Prime, Ozymandias utilizes the massive railway network that serves the industrial heart. Lovingly maintained by the Vermillion Engineering Regiments, the Ozymandias has stood sentry duty on Vermillion Prime for millennia. It is rare that the 2-meter cannon sounds in anger, most often he fires for salutes, parades and holidays. In the Vermilion Regiments, it is the highest honor to be selected to crew the Ozymandias as such an arcane piece of military hardware requires the utmost talent. The 2-meter diameter cannon utilizes different variants of ammunition and provides tactical and strategic support to the Vermillion Engineering Regiments in the event of invasion. In the 735 M40 Gragga Waaagh, Vermillion received an invasion force of an estimated 300,000 Orks. The single Ork Landing zone was shelled from a distance of 230 km and received a sustained bombardment of 2 weeks while Vermillion Combat regiments responded to contain the remainder of the Ork threat. Out of the Gragga Waagh, an apocryphal story arose of an Ork Kill Croozer in low orbit that was shot down during the 2-week fusillade.

Unit: 1 Ozymandias Cannon system
    Type: Static Super-heavy
    Structure Points: 6
    Void Shields: 4
    Weapons and Equipment: 12 Heavy Bolters, 3 Quad-Interceptor Guns, 2 Icarus Lascannons, 1 Leman Russ Battle Cannon, 1 Ozymandias Cannon (Primary Weapon)

Special Rules:
    What the (expletive deleted) was that?!: In the turn the cannon fires every unit outside the void shield radius of the cannon moves through difficult terrain. Units with Move Through Cover may not use this ability this turn.

Immobile: The Ozymandias may not move at all. It treats all “Drive Damaged” results as Gun Crew Shaken.

Varied Ammunition: In any round the Ozymandias fires, you may select one of the following shells:
    Weapon Range Str AP Special
    Ozymandias Round 96”-Unlimited 6 4 12”+D6 radius
    Gehenna Round 96”-Unlimited * * Place flame template and roll scatter, place the tail of the template in direction of scatter, anything underneath the circle is immediately removed, place green cotton underneath the tail which takes a Str 5 AP - hit anytime an infantry unit enters this zone.
    Jericho Round 96”-Unlimited 8 3 Select a location, scatter as normal, place the thin portion of the Hellstorm template and reroll scatter-die to determine final position.
    Styx Round 96”-Unlimited D 2 Ordinance Barrage 1, Destroyer
    Gomorrah Round 96”-Unlimited 7 4 Apocalyptic Barrage 9
    Terminus Round 96”-Unlimited * * Vortex
    Hades Round 96”-Unlimited 9 2 Apocalyptic Blast- Earthshock 3d6 radius
    Apollo Round 96”-Unlimited 8 3 Ordinance Barrage, 7” blast Does not scatter
    Tartarus Round 96”-Unlimited 10 1 7” Blast

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shuricane Wayne View Post
    But I do love the idea of an enormous pistol round swinging from a crane on the back of that thing and meybe a single spent casing stacked in the back corner of the platform. Hmmm...
    Maybe an empty paint pot with an little love and some green stuff?

This might work

[url]http://www.bulletkeychainsetc.com/shotgun.html[/url]

The brass case one with a model rocket nose in the front would be about perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast