BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Librarian

I have not read the GW monthly catalog otherwise known as "White Dwarf" in years, but they used to have a series called "Painting with the Average Joe" by some Joe Scagalottacrotchrash or something like that. It was geared towards anyone BUT the "Average Joe." He'd have these insanely difficult painting tips. "When painting an Eldar ruby, borrow a commerical 747 and crew. Have the pilot go into a steep dive from 35,000 feet. The zero-g effect will create a nice-even balance to the paint. You will only get 30-seconds of painting time, so you will need to have the pilot re-climb and dive some 43-times as you will want to use no less than 43 shapes of red-to-orange on your ruby. Now to paint the helmut you will need to simply borrow a military-grade centrifuge so that you can work at 4-G..."

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    You are having a laugh arnt you? Have you seen my stuff? Are you saying I'm anti painting??????????
    I think you may be confused my good man.........
    Yeah....I just looked at your stuff on your blog......and what separates you from heavy metal....I can't even start to list. You are right about what you said though. You can remove 2/3's of the steps and have a fine tabletop model, like yours. If thats a good enough standard for you...so be it. Some of us would like to excel at painting though.

oooooo get her!

I'll save you the trouble of listing the difference between myself and the HM team, I'll do it for you. I can assure you it is not a lack of skill or expertise as you seem to Infer!

1/ I do not have access to unlimited free paint, brushes, glue and models.
    2/ I have a full time job and a family who require some attention now and again, I don't get to sit in a nice air conditioned office at my dedicated painting station for 40 hours a week.
    3/ I am not painting figure's with photography in mind. Photos do my style no justice at all.
    4/ I game in an environment where unpainted figures are not tolerated (a policy I wholeheartedly agree with) if I want to play, I must have a painted army. Therefore my army must be painted relatively quickly.

For people who live in the real world there must be some kind of compromise between quality and necessity. I am not painting golden demon winning models here, I'm painting an army to a high level of consistency. I would describe my painting as above average and many people would say better, I am capable of far better and I find your "slap on three colors" comment insulting.

I know how to paint a great figure and I know that there are superfluous stages in those painting articles. Bearing in mind that a huge number of readers of WD are kids, beginners and below average painters I would like to see more articles concentrating on basic technique with a view to improving painting skills in general rather then constantly presenting a standard that most will never achieve.

These articles are not making painting accessible, they are putting young people off. The number of kids I hear say the immortal words "I'll never be that good, so I don't bother". Give them achievable goals, let them walk before they try to run.
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 09-26-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Sergeant

I don't enjoy having to mix paints for my rank and file, I would like to paint strait from the pot to save time. However I do enjoy the eavy metal tutorials and tips to try and incorporate some of their technique into my center piece / command models.

Brother-Sergeant

The only time I blend paints is to come up with new inks / colors, and I've only done it a hand full of times. This whole 3:1 crap is a waste of time in my eyes, as I can get colors to wet blend just as easy, or I'm not looking for a smooth transition. And trust me, I know how to paint.

Chaplain

So...what you want aldramelech is for them to write painting articles that don't require lots of paints, brushes etc. For people that have jobs...and lives. For those that aren't painting for photography. And are paint jobs with basic gaming in mind. Well....let me introduce you to the GW websites painting articles....here is a link to the 40k page for those.

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/articleCategory.jsp?communityArticleCatId=600003&a rticleCatId=600003&catId=cat210004&section=[/url]

Do those fulfill your needs? I really hope so. I hope those articles that are free, on the web, accessible, are EXACTLY what you want. I also hope that all those young people, who are beginners, actually check those out before they throw down 75 bucks on a WD subscription. As for all those poor young people with feelings of inadequacy created by the 'eavy metal team....so sorry....there is always someone better than you...no matter what you do. Live with it....and try to garner as much knowledge as you can from those who are better than you.

I am glad you found my comment about 3 color painting insulting...it shows that you actually read what I wrote. I find it insulting that they create tourneys for people who only give a crap about winning, and not about the actual hobby. Think about this....where is the hobbyist tournament? One that says you must have a lovingly crafted, beautifully embellished army to participate.

My whole point is that you get the simplified painting articles you want. You get those articles for free. You even get tournaments focused on things other than the hobby and still you have a problem. If you don't like the articles in White Dwarf....DON'T FRIGGIN BUY IT. Some people, myself included, really dig those articles, because they show us ways to improve our painting.

Librarian

'Bout a ten on the old tension scale fade.

Quote Originally Posted by fade_74 View Post
    So...what you want aldramelech is for them to write painting articles that don't require lots of paints, brushes etc. For people that have jobs...and lives. For those that aren't painting for photography. And are paint jobs with basic gaming in mind. Well....let me introduce you to the GW websites painting articles....here is a link to the 40k page for those.

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/articleCategory.jsp?communityArticleCatId=600003&a rticleCatId=600003&catId=cat210004&section=[/url]

Do those fulfill your needs? I really hope so. I hope those articles that are free, on the web, accessible, are EXACTLY what you want. I also hope that all those young people, who are beginners, actually check those out before they throw down 75 bucks on a WD subscription. As for all those poor young people with feelings of inadequacy created by the 'eavy metal team....so sorry....there is always someone better than you...no matter what you do. Live with it....and try to garner as much knowledge as you can from those who are better than you.

I am glad you found my comment about 3 color painting insulting...it shows that you actually read what I wrote. I find it insulting that they create tourneys for people who only give a crap about winning, and not about the actual hobby. Think about this....where is the hobbyist tournament? One that says you must have a lovingly crafted, beautifully embellished army to participate.

My whole point is that you get the simplified painting articles you want. You get those articles for free. You even get tournaments focused on things other than the hobby and still you have a problem. If you don't like the articles in White Dwarf....DON'T FRIGGIN BUY IT. Some people, myself included, really dig those articles, because they show us ways to improve our painting.
    Yes Ive read your post, you on the other hand don't seem to be reading mine!

You seem to have confused me with somebody else, you seem to think that I'm some kind of competition wargamer who doesn't care about painting. I don't play in tournaments and I don't play with or against unpainted figures. I do not accept undercoat, flesh and 1 other as painted either, in fact I was described on another thread as a painting German with right wing views about Poland! I care about the hobby deeply and by "Hobby" I mean playing the game with well painted figures on nice looking terrain for fun. I am committed to the improvement of standards across the hobby and am willing to give up my valuable time to do so.

Now you know who I am, a couple of points.

1/ You would be shocked by how many people in this country have no internet access, trust me, its alot.
    2/ I want balance. I want the articles I described and I want advanced articles, but I don't want those to be driven by GW putting in steps to drive paint sales. This does not help the hobby. The same results are achievable without all this rubbish.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Sergeant

Hey Fade, got any pics of the stuff you've painted? You sound like a such pro, so you should have some of your stuff on here. Or at least on another website.

Chaplain

search for fade 13 on coolminiornot. I have plenty of stuff online...just none here yet duskraider. I would have to email them if you wanted better.

Aldra....you don't want them to advertise their own products? If you were a business why the heck wouldn't you want to advertise? Those people are paid to use that stuff.....

Use what you want from the articles on painting and disregard the rest. These articles do help the hobby....just not you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast