BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

so what we are trying to quantify is the value of vehicles as compared to troops on the board. well while i agree that there is no direct compairason i would have to state that first it would change from army to army ( rhinos value vs chimaras value as applied to the value of space marines vs the value of ig troppers) secondly it would also greatly depend on the skill sets of the player playing them if a player usuly uses a foot slog-er army and is not use to including vics in his army he will than not be as skilful in the use of a heavy vic army as someone who plays one regularly. witch brings me to the issue of play stile some play-stiles will not lend well to the inclusion of vics in the army while others will so in short there are too many things to consider and no one right answer to this question.
    "There's too many men, too many people, Making too many problems,
    And not much love to go round, Can't you see this is a land of confusion?"

Chaplain

I think the value of vehicles is better measured in terms of "how many of the enemy's boots will this unit negate?"
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by The AKH View Post
    I think the value of vehicles is better measured in terms of "how many of the enemy's boots will this unit negate?"
    well said, and as far as it goes certain vics can also pay for themselves by by forcing the other player to change there tactics or strat in order to deal with them. case in point in a 2500pt game this weekend i took 3 land raider crusaders and used them not only as a troop transport but all so as rolling cover for my death wing army. my opponent did not see this coming (normally i i just bring a whole bunch of terms and death wing assault in) and was forced to try to leapfrog away from me for the whole game and had to focus fire on them in order to kill them (two lived to the 5th turn, and one lived for the whole game) pulling alot of that fire off of my troopers.
    "There's too many men, too many people, Making too many problems,
    And not much love to go round, Can't you see this is a land of confusion?"

Quote Originally Posted by evilamericorp View Post
    Really? Then what are those things that Walkers stand on?
    How many boots it it wearing?

Default test the theory

IMO what you should do is have a game of boots vs treads and see what happens.

PLay a few games pitting a Tank army vs a Footslogger army...

Chaplain

Generally that ends badly for the boots*, but outcomes could shift in 6th.

*I speak from experience.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Veteran-Sergeant

You must also consider the point cost of the vehicle. How many BASIC boots can you get for the same cost? It makes a good way to compare the value of each. The effectiveness of a certain vehicle vs the effectiveness of a equal point value of troops. What does each do? Consider their weapons movement combat prowess survivability ect.

I believe that the above is the only direct way to compare the two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12