BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Another reason why the Nightwing is really Overpriced. Theres lots of stuff out there (right weapons, right character on a gun, right physic power) that flat out ignore cover saves. You get shot at by a quad gun that ignores cover, and you're virtually guarenteed to be destroyed before you even do anything other than come on the board
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    It is indeed, but that is part of the problem. I want my air superiority fighter to be an air superiority fighter, not a air-ground attack vehicle.
    About the only flyer that I can't bring down with regularity is the Stormraven. Getting behind it makes no difference.

Excellent read, one of the best systematic breakdowns of fliers attributes I have seen so far. Thank you.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    It is indeed, but that is part of the problem. I want my air superiority fighter to be an air superiority fighter, not a air-ground attack vehicle.
    Thanks to VD, you should be able to easily outmaneuver any of the non-FW flyers that don't have a hover mode and get easy rear shots. My Dark Eldar would happily trade in several upgrades on their Razorwing and Voidraven jets for that.

Chapter-Master

With a New codex I figured i'd go back and look at this again, and compare the new flier against bits.

The Chaos Dragon. 170 (or 175?) points of death. But how does it stack up to the kings of the sky?

Protection
    12/12/10. 5+ Invulnerable.
    So its same armament as a Valk, and more than the Necron fliers. Its 5+ save means it never has to Jink as its always getting the same save, meaning you don't have to gamble survivability for firepower.

Armament
    1 Hades Autocannon (4 S8 Ap4 shots) or a Flamestorm cannon (S6 Ap3, Torrent). BS3
    Once you factor in BS this is on average getting 2 S8 hits a turn. Compared to the 2 S9 AP2 hits from a Vendetta and its a poor child. The flamer however is excellent, but cannot be used in the sky, limiting its AA options

Transport
    None.

Other Rules
    Vector Strike. Can attack other things it flies over at S7. Potentially damaging for light transports and aircraft but not that scary for the AV12 sky king, especially as it always hits side.

So its 30-35 points more than a Vendetta, 70-75 over a Scythe. In return it gets;

- Potentially more shots than a Vendetta, equal to a Scythe but without twinlinked and a lower BS unlikely to be
    Those shots are worse than a Vendettas lascannons, and only marginally better against light infantry (read not marines) than the Necron
    - 5+ Save permanantly. As stated means you can always get that Jink save, not have it be ignored by anti cover people and still shoot at full. Quite good, but a 5+ save is still marginal
    - Vector Strike. An aircraft that can stab other things. S7 is a touch disappointing though

My thoughts....little overpriced for what it can do. But thats only compared to the other available fliers. In an isolated system, would be quite good by itself.

Its also better than a Nightwing :P

Occuli Imperator

You forgot that it looks amazing...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

That too.

It amsuse me the Hades Autocannon is this massive hulking minigun on a Forgefiend. But the exact same gun is a diddy little thing in the mouth of the dragon

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    That too.

It amsuse me the Hades Autocannon is this massive hulking minigun on a Forgefiend. But the exact same gun is a diddy little thing in the mouth of the dragon
    I wonder if that implies that the scale is intentionally off?

Doesn't the dragon also have 3HP and It will not die?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kyban View Post
    I wonder if that implies that the scale is intentionally off?

Doesn't the dragon also have 3HP and It will not die?
    Yes.

The dragon, as you say in your summary, is over-costed only in comparison to the two king fliers - night scythes and vendettas.
    However, no other flyer in the game can bring the hurt to infantry like the dragon can, which fits well into the new edition.

IMO 170 is well worth it, the Helldrake is the equivalent of a redeemer being right next to you on turn 1 - it is that blindingly fast and can strike anywhere with a flamer that has an effective 50"+ range.

STOP IT!

Stop moaning about the Nightwing! BLARARGARLGARLGRLAHARWRAARLK!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast