BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Amazing work. And it's particularly nice to see some Epic and BFG stuff.

How did you build 'Da Morkinator'?

Chaplain

Fellow Deathskulls fan here, curious to know how you did the white and blue on your models?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
    Amazing work. And it's particularly nice to see some Epic and BFG stuff.

How did you build 'Da Morkinator'?
    Thank you for your comment

The Epic Super Stompa, Da Morkinator (more photos on the tutorial over on my blog[URL="http://gazeofmork.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/morkinator.html"] here[/URL]):

1/ I began by making a pear shape with milli-put. After that had dried I made a head from a landspeeder sensor and guns from various Ork-y bits (a big shoota and a grot prod, and a shooter). I made the feet from space marine shoulder pads and plasti card and stuck on spikes and pannels from the battlewagon kit:

Front view:

2/ Next I added more pannels from the battlewagon kit and an imperial fists pannel. I then began adding pannels of can, building up layers. I made these can-pannels from a standard Pepsi can, cut into various squares and rectangles. I pressed a drill bit into the corners to make indets to look like rivets:

Front view:

I kept adding the pannels until all of the milliput was covered.

3/ I primed the Stompa black and painted like the rest of my Epic army:

You might also like my Epic Gargant, The Gorkazilla, considering he's a hash of bitz and pieces:

More photos of the Gorkazilla can be found [URL="http://gazeofmork.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/gorkazilla.html"]here[/URL]
    And a tutorial of how he was made can be found [URL="http://gazeofmork.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/froggaz-flakk-parade-and-gorkazilla.html"]here[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by UltramarineFan View Post
    Fellow Deathskulls fan here, curious to know how you did the white and blue on your models?
    Deathskulls fans are always welcome on my painting blogs

I use vallejo paints. I find them a bit cheaper and easier to work with than GW ones. I also really like the dropper design (making painting on a pallet easier, which makes your paints last longer as they dont dry out due to being sat open for hours). I will convert the paints to their GW equivelent, but only the old paint colour names.

So baring that in mind (and that I always spray basecoat black): GW old name / Vallejo colour I used
    Blue:
    1) Midnight Blue / #19 Night Blue
    This layer is painted on as a base

2) Regal Blue / #20 Imperial Blue
    Depending on the surface I either blend or heavily dry brush this colour

3) Enchanted Blue / #21 Magic Blue
    This is painted as a highlight

4) Ice Blue / #23 Electric Blue
    Used as a final highlight.

I then applied a layer of devlan mud around rivets/in recesses.

White (super easy):
    1) Desert Yellow / # 63 Desert Yellow
    I paint the shape in a base coat of desert yellow

2) Bleached Bone / #34 Bonewhite
    Highlight in Bonewhite

3) Skull White / #1 White
    Final highlight in white.

I might do a tutorial on the blue sometime, since I get asked about it quite a lot. Hope that helps UltramarineFan.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Black_cat View Post
    I might do a tutorial on the blue sometime, since I get asked about it quite a lot. Hope that helps UltramarineFan.
    Yes it does thanks. Both my white and blue always seems to 'clean'. Fine for my ultras but not gritty enough for Orks. When you highlight panels do you do a sort of streak effect? Hard to tell from the pictures but it seems like it.

Brother-Sergeant

Simply beautiful! Well done good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    Simply beautiful! Well done good sir!
    Thanks! Though I am a lady

@Ultramarinefan I tried to make the blue bits look painted, so sometimes I brushed on the layers with a large GW paint brush...but often (particularly during large batches) i got fed up of the effort this took and ended up drybrushing it! I know what you mean about blues looking too 'clean' though, I was paranoid about that too! I don't know what I will do once I run out of my devlan mud stash!
    My painting and gaming blog: http://gazeofmork.blogspot.co.uk
    Now taking commissions, PM for details.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Black_cat View Post
    Thank you for your comment

The Epic Super Stompa, Da Morkinator (more photos on the tutorial over on my blog[URL="http://gazeofmork.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/morkinator.html"] here[/URL]):
    [/URL][/B]
    That's really interesting - and yet more excellent work - thank you. I'm very impressed with how you've used bits of drinks can to plate your Super Stompa. I've been working on and off - mostly off thanks to work and a baby - on improving a mega-gargant so it fits it with the more recent Epic designs and looks less cartoony. I'd been trying to add some plating to it to cover up the original expanses of smooth plastic but my various attempts haven't worked well. have to give your technique a go and see how it works.

Your Gargant - and your blog for that matter - look great, thanks for the link.

Those are EPIC! Lol

Great painting, I particularly like the weirdboy. Love that shaman model.

Sprugly
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?286979-So-many-models-so-little-time-Sprugly-s-blog

Hi,

So it's been a while since I last blogged. The reason for this has been a mix of moving city, no internet (still not resolved) and starting a Post Grad course...Hopefully I'll be a bit more regular from now on.

Today I thought I'd post pictures of my 40k scale Stompa- The Morkinator. The stompa isn't quite finished (I painted it in pieces and it's not all stuck together yet), and it was built and painted to this point in (a rather rushed) two days- which I'm pretty proud of! I magnitised the arms to make transporting it easier.

I wanted my Snakebites, Grot army and Deathskulls to be represented by the colour scheme (though obviously the Deathskulls dominate). I think I'll use this colour scheme for my Grot army vehicles too, since it works quite well.

Here are the pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stompa+front.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	2961

Name:	stompa+face.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	2962