BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What happened to SOB...

First off I would like to say hello to everyone, HI it's been well over a year since I have been on the boards here because I have been working my a$$ off in school for the last year. So... 6th Ed is here now I see, lots of new codex updates and such, I used to play with the Inquisition, Daemon/Witch Hunters, now SOB and Grey Knights. Been playing my new Knights for a few months or so now, not to bad, I like em except for the fact that i lost my TH/SS loadouts but I can live with that. Been reading alot of the post during the last few weeks, digging back a few dozen pages or so and was wondering... What happened to my Sisters of Battle? They got that WD update that EVERYONE seemed to hate, can't say i was to thrilled about it myself. Some things seemed...ok'ish, others down right blah... Are they dead now? I havnt seen any post about anyone using them or talking about them. I read the Imperial armour Aeronautica and they got 3 flyers, but it was like GW said, " Hmm what are the WORST 3 flyers we have.. oh those 3?? ok, give em to the Sisters." very dissapointing. Anyone know if thier gona get fix'd or have some better updates forthcomming in the future by chance, or are they just gona be forgotten, which it seems they allready seem to be?

Chapter-Master

Barely anyone talked about them before, because they had an extremely old, generally mediocre, and very limited codex, and an all metal, very expensive and similarly limited model range.

Then rumors started popping up about a new codex and new models, and people though "hey, they might actually be worth getting".

Then, no new models and a WD codex that actually had fewer options than the old codex did without giving them any cool new stuff at all. Any excitement that had built up was burst, and no one is likely to care much about Sisters unless GW ever actually gives them any attention.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Yea I know, i was just "Hope'n" someone might have heard anything new at all about em. guess not though.. booo :/

"To the righteous we bring hope, to the tainted we bring fire." Castellan Garran Crowe

The WD codex isn't horrible and it isn't great. It's really middle of the road. A lot of really loud people decided that it was dead on arrival though.

To be fair, one of GW Shrewsbury's regulars uses SoB, to devastating effect. They're pretty freakin' mean, either that or he's a jammy git.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

The rules themselves are decent. Problem is, there's like five units in the whole armylist. There are actually fewer units in the new list than in the WH codex, and for every unit that got cheaper/buffed there's a unit that got more expensive for who knows what reason. There's basically one or two lists, so even if those lists are reasonable it's not exactly exciting. And since Sisters are still extremely expensive metal models, people aren't exactly jumping on them. People who already had Sisters can get by, but between expensive models, limited unit choices, and lack of GW support there's nothing to draw players to the army compared to just about anything else in the game.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

A fair point. I have said time and again how I would collect the Adepta Sororitas if they got new models because they have an amazing theme; purity through faith. What an ideal to work for.
    Quite tempted to base a Marine Chapter on that idea, but it'd have to be some iteration of the Templars.

I actually Roleplay a Sister in Dark Heresy, because they are quite simply awesome.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chaplain

Fewer units, yeah the Inquisition stuff is gone and the land raider T.T but, they replaced them with Eccesiarchy units. I would mostly say the army is not as versatile anymore, you can no longer achieve the same goal using a sister squad as a Celestian squad through faith points. Also the faith points are horribly stacked by points value and the characters unless named are virtually useless or overpriced for their uses, I still find the army very useful with a bit of adapting to newer methods of play but overall, I'm pleased with their performance. The price cost is ridiculous but well their not that popular at the moment I've never actually met another sisters player who still uses their army, unlike myself who sold his dark eldar to buy more sisters.

The armies perfectly functional and it's can still kick some serious ***, the new Dominions and Seraphim are the best units obiviously followed by the all around excellent Exorcist.
    Last edited by doom-kitten; 09-08-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Veteran-Sergeant

I have about 1800 points of Sororitas goodness, I field them in varying unit deployments and generally find that they hold their own in most fights. With my Sisters I have come the closest to tabling my regular Necron player than I have with any of my other armies. Lucky dice rolls aplenty, both Exorcists firing near enough 6 shots off each per turn. And amazing Shield of Faith rolls. That and the wonder that is Celestine irritating the crap out of my opponents. Even took them to Nottingham back in June for a Doubles tournament with a friends Space Wolf force, we did alright too.

As with all forces pick it right, you can win. Pick it wrong but had fabulous luck on the dice, you can win...

Shas'o

Well I'm no rumor monger but as far as rumors on SoB here's what I've heard around the net. I can't remember the sources since it's been a while. Some I heard before the White Dwarf dex came out and was just another rumor, and when I did hear them not even the source put much stock into them. Then again not many people believed that they were going to be a white dwarf dex. But here's what I've heard.

The rumor that pops up the most frequently is that they are working on the models but are having trouble. I've heard the new models are quite lacy and the lace is what gives them the most trouble. Which sounds like the modelers got to ambitious with the detail. If they can't sort it out then they might have to go back to square one with the design.

Whenever there is rumor of a GW release schedule SoB are rumored a proper release with real codex and all new model range anywhere between January 2013 to... I'm a little fuzzy but I want to say before 2015.

Those are the two that I believe I heard from more than one source. Then there are the FAR OUT THERE ones like...

Summer of next year two or one more white dwarf additions to the SoB dex. With new units. Alongside new models.
    Which after seeing the Daemons get white dwarf additions doesn't really sound all that out there I suppose.

The white dwarf is it for the SoB for the foreseeable future.

ForgeWorld will take over SoB. Pfft, Like that would ever happen.

Personally I wouldn't put any stock into any of these rumors.
    When you do something right people wont be sure that you've done anything at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast