BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Hellhound template

For the Hellhound template, do you pre-measure 12" and place the template or guess and aim and if its in range then you can wound like normal shooting?

I would have though pre-measure 12" as its just extending the range of the template.
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

I would say you have to guess to elect a target unit. Even though it is a template weapon and you can place it anywhere you like you still have to "target a unit" that will take the template. Once you measure range to the unit then you can place the template anywhere you like. I would also say that you have more than the 12 inches because a successful shot would also include any hits by the template so you really have about 20 inches since the template is 8 inches long. Just make sure that you include one hit on the unit you target and you should be fine.

I nominate a target, then measure 12" and place the small end within 12" of the Hellhound and the large end further from the Hellhound. I think that's really the only logical reading of the rules for the weapon and The Shooting Phase.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Jwolf View Post
    I nominate a target, then measure 12" and place the small end within 12" of the Hellhound and the large end further from the Hellhound. I think that's really the only logical reading of the rules for the weapon and The Shooting Phase.
    +1

This is exactly how I interpreted it.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chaplain

Thats what I thought as the 12" is just extending the range of the template. It doesn't say place the template and then measure.
    www.imperiusdominatus.com - warhammer 40,000 tactica and hobby blog

Brother-Captain

Was it ever that the far end of the template also had to be within 12 inches? My friend who uses them plays it that way, that the max range of any part of the template is 12 inches.

JohN M>

No, the rules read " Place the template so that the narrow end is within 12" of the weapon and the large end is no closer to the weapons than the narrow end. The inferno cannon is then treated like any other template weapon." Page 50 under the Hellhound IG Codex.

You can start the burn anywhere from 0" to 12 " than place the template any way you like provided the large end no closer than the narrow end. The flamer template is 8" long so you have a potential 20" range.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Javin View Post
    No, the rules read " Place the template so that the narrow end is within 12" of the weapon and the large end is no closer to the weapons than the narrow end. The inferno cannon is then treated like any other template weapon." Page 50 under the Hellhound IG Codex.

You can start the burn anywhere from 0" to 12 " than place the template any way you like provided the large end no closer than the narrow end. The flamer template is 8" long so you have a potential 20" range.
    Agreed! It is fun to shoot around walls!
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    Was it ever that the far end of the template also had to be within 12 inches? My friend who uses them plays it that way, that the max range of any part of the template is 12 inches.

JohN M>
    In the previous edition, the entire template had to be within 24". There is no such restriction in the current Codex.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

In the previous edition, the entire template had to be within 24". There is no such restriction in the current Codex.
    Now, the entire template cannot physically be farther away than 20", so the restriction is even tighter, it just isnt written.
    "The Emperor is with us, His sacred light shields us, and he has sent his wolves to watch over us."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast