BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    I see what you mean, but not convinced that's necessarily mk VIII, or just a mk VII variation.

Oh, and the point that the good Reverend was making, is that artificer's would take a piece of mk II armour, gut it of all the internal gubbinz, and just shove the worky bitz from a mk VII suit. Ahh, the job's a good 'un! (Orks can be artificers, right?)

And the article in WD 136/129 (now I'm doubting myself) had a pretty specific description of what mk V was like and when/where/why it was designed. I'd be inclined to believe that this "there's no such thing as a TRUE mk V" is an attempt by later Imperial officials to whitewash the dark history of the Heresy. A bit like the way Stalin shipped all examples of the PPD sub machine gun off to China, so that they couldn't remind people in the 50s and 60s of Stalingrad (where the PPD was designed and built). Even though the USSR retained earlier SMG designs.
    if you look at the mk VIII guy from the armour of the ages he has smooth feet and the ball joint on the ankle, its pretty much a refined mk VII (streamlined power section at belly, high 'bullet catcher' gorget and modified face plate to allow use of gorget)

as for the mk V, the imp fist capt tells corax (he actually asks about mk V) that they were already using mk V, as the ad hoc suits they had fasioned were classed as mk V. since they had additions that were not sanctioned by mars i am guessing.

ill have a flick through the compendium, but im sure even then it says its an ad hoc design.

had a look, mk IV was too awkward and needed specialst gear to fix..... they couldnt do it due to the heresy.
    so mk V was the result, cobbled together from the bits they had left from terminators and older suits (mk II and III), with added plating with the bonding studs)
    Last edited by Cpt Codpiece; 08-30-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

Now what about those Chaos Marines? What the hell is up with their amour? Their plastic kit looks like no MK armour from the Crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by house_cawdor View Post
    Now what about those Chaos Marines? What the hell is up with their amour? Their plastic kit looks like no MK armour from the Crusade.
    I think they're supposed to be mainly Mk5-based, judging by the helmets and occasional chest-cables, kinda weird since it completely lacks the studs the Mk5 is known for. The kneepad-less legs are Mk6-ish, though, and the "flared" gauntlets seem like a Mk2 thing? That kit feels like a missed opportunity, too uniform, not enough callbacks to other old armour-marks. Especially since the Dark Vengeance models make it look like absolute pants :P

Librarian

the current CSM box was at release and still was at the re pack (with new sprues for chaos powers added), quite bad. i think it is the oldest core kit in the entire 40k range as all the others have been re-cut a few times.

the mk VI legs are probably because the story of the heresy was done when RTB 01 was the main kit, hence the mk VI legs. even kharn uses MK VI despite later being described in mks III & IV yet his helm is clearly a mk VII or one of the funky FW mk IV. the traitors have been said to pillage from dead chapter marines so this may be an explanation as to where some bits are from.

i think when FW get around to the traitors getting 'gifts' (yay FW gal vor'bak) we will see a lot of those modded mk III and IV. bring it on

there is only a single piece of mk V in plastic on any kit, the cabled chest pieces the heads are basded off terminator helmets, no power armour guys have a plastc TDA head sadly, though the legs of the CSM do have some cable bundles on the thighs. i suppose the skull head on the CSM could be seen as a modded mk V though.
    Last edited by Cpt Codpiece; 09-28-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123